One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Last Dodge I bought; WC63. 1.5 ton. 1943
Braden PTO winch

I envy your restoration talent.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's more of a disease and is the reason I don't build rifles in the summers.
If your friend bought a WM300 with no rust for 10K, he did very well. I restored this one about 20 years ago. Here is the last one I did; finished this summer; a 64 M606 that was exported to the ROK Army. Not a Dodge, so sorry for that. At least you get to see an M1 in the rifle holder. Note the Mitsubishi gauge panel.
The under hood markings tell the driver to check oil, water, and battery daily.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Amazing restorations

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's more of a disease and is the reason I don't build rifles in the summers.
If your friend bought a WM300 with no rust for 10K, he did very well. I restored this one about 20 years ago. Here is the last one I did; finished this summer; a 64 M606 that was exported to the ROK Army. Not a Dodge, so sorry for that. At least you get to see an M1 in the rifle holder. Note the Mitsubishi gauge panel.
The under hood markings tell the driver to check oil, water, and battery daily.

Dpcd: I just spoke with him. His is a 1948 with the 230 6.
If anyone wants to post it I’ll send it to you

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes definitely we want to see it. They all used the 230 flathead from WW2 through about 65 or so (can't remember) and then they went to the 251, still a flathead. The 48 Power Wagon was the WDX. Later they changed the model, but the trucks were the same. Except for the box. Mine is a WM300; same drive train and cab. I'll PM you my email.
You do realize that DPCD is Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, DeSoto, and that logo is on many parts though the 1970s. And my picture here is from a label from WW2 Dodge parts produced in Canada. Head gaskets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just sent you the pic’s.
I did not know the dpcd meaning.
In addition to the other pucs you posted, that jeep is absolutely amazing. I really like the “stock” restorations.

My friend new the family that sold that truck. They gave him some pics of the truck, from the 70’s, when the previous owner was working on the truck.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, here it is; a 1948 Dodge WDX (Power Wagon). They had the 4 stake bed box until the early 50s. This one looks to be all original at least outside, and very straight. Look at the bumpers and fenders; you never see pristine like that. Headlight guards are wrong. Finding a good box these days is rare; one load of horse sh*t in them and they didn't last ten years. And the tires are the original type, 900x16 Military NDTs; probably the original tires. When I was a kid, Appalachain Power Company, and Cabot Gas both had fleets of these; very cool. My 67 WM300 came from Appalachain Power and had Ready Kilowatt on the doors. I had another one I bought at auction from Cabot gas too. It was a 56. Remember that Ford and Chevy did not make 4WD trucks so if you really wanted to haul stuff in the woods and hills, Dodge was the only way. This series of Power Wagon was a one ton truck. They also made the civilian type trucks at the same Mound Road plant at the same time, until 1968 when the M series was discontinued; Too expensive, slow, and no one wanted them. And Jeep trucks, but those were much smaller.
Well worth what he paid for it; restored they are worth a lot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting information Tom and I will pass it on. Thank you for posting.

Interesting point about dodge being the only 4x4 option. I guess you learn something every day!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here's one I painted yesterday; a 64 M38A1. USMC green because the guy I sold it to wanted it that way. Note the special USMC rear lifting shackles; not found on Army jeeps.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last Power Wagon I bought; a 67. 8000 pound Braden winch will not only pull critters up a tree; it will pull the truck up a tree.
251 flathead 6.

This is the coolest thing I've seen on the internet in years! What a beauty.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Come over and you can drive it, and some jeeps and a Humvee too.
I restored this one in about 2001, including rebuilding the engine.
Tires are Michelin 1100x16 radials, which make it ride much smoother than the original NDTs.

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:
Last Power Wagon I bought; a 67. 8000 pound Braden winch will not only pull critters up a tree; it will pull the truck up a tree.
251 flathead 6.

This is the coolest thing I've seen on the internet in years! What a beauty.

That is exactly the same color Power Wagon a friend had on their ranch in the late 60's and 70's. We sure fed a lot of sheep and cattle from that pickup. We would put a rubber bungie on the steering wheel and put it in 4 low 1st gear. Get out of the pickup and hop up on the 20 bales we had in the bed. Start cutting strings and tossing flakes of hay. When it was empty or close to running out of field, one of us would jump out, walk to the cab and open the drivers side door and take it out of gear or turn around to finish feeding. Lots of duck and goose decoys and game were hauled in that pickup. It would not go very fast but, it would climb a mountain if needed.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Pontchatrain Green, is the color. Yes, in low gear, low range, you can low crawl faster. But the torque will pull a house.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice to finally see what you have been up to, Tom. "Classic" doesn't begin to sum up what you have there.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back about '58-9 a rancher friend and a mutual
friend that had an old Army Power Wagon from
about WWII. I have no idea what year other than
that.

Mac the rancher got a contract to build a straight BLM fence 26 miles across the foothills. They hired me to help.

One of the many trips down to the supply pile for steel posts and rolls of barb wire, We drove back up a real steep hill covered with heavy oak brush. Short just crawled it right over the brush like it wasn't even there.

Half hour after we got to the top. The BLM inspector came walking up.

"would you please drive back down and pull my Jeep off the brush? I tried to follow you up. Brush just picked my jeep off the ground".
HA!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; a Dodge frame alone weighs the same as a jeep. They are double C channels and riveted together.
Did yours have a hard top and doors? If so, it was a Power Wagon (civilian). Made from 46-68.
If not, it was a Military WC of one of 4 models. Ok, the Carryall and Ambulance had hard tops. But no beds for hauling cargo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Elmer Shorts did have doors and hardtop.
Painted OD too. Had a long narrow bed. Don't recall if it had a winch or not.

I have no clue where it ended up. All of them
are long ago pushing up the daisies.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, doors and hardtop were the WDX Power Wagon beginning in 1946. Strictly civilian, but the drive trains were nothing but WW2 WC truck. OD Green? that was not a paint option. still used the 230 flathead and then the 251, until 68. Maybe it was Forest Green; (Chrysler paint named Ponchatrain Green)
They were rated as 3/4 ton but they were actually one ton; 4WD; 8 foot pickup bed. nothing else on the market could touch them for ruggedness or power with their 5:83 axles and 4 speed transmission. Ever. But they were slow, noisy, and expensive; and were discontinued in 1968. Of course the flat hood Power Wagon was also being made at the same time; a lighter built civilian truck.