Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 for bear
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
That photo has been around long enough, plus photobucket " lost" all the photos I had with them and I haven't downloaded the photos to another intermediary so I can share them here.

And anyway, I should have a new batch of big bear photos in a few months

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
We will be patient!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
COLD ZERO
i to loved the FEDERAL HE ammo loaded with the 180 gn noslers...i got 2900 in a number of my 06 s, and shot a truck load of game animals....but these days i can duplicate this velocity with the 180 gn nosler with R17.....at the same time, i feel from my experience with useing the 200 gn nosler partition @ 2725 is a better load on game then the 180 @2900....as the talley of animals that i have shot with the 200 gn partition is starting to build up...sambar deerx5 hog deerx3 leopard sablex2 kudux2 impalax5 brown bear zebra...just love the penetration , and consistencey of those 200 gn noslers

There is a number of powders which will give you 2725 fps out of a 24 inch 06 tube ...namley MRP R17 R22 R26 WXR
Regards Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Heavy for caliber" is my motto :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
never knew it was a controversy using a 30.06 on bear. I would have no problem using a 6.5 Swede as many does.

Here is a polar bear I took last year with a 270win. Semi running shot - he just crawled up and died in a few seconds.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah ah. spoke by an example.

well done for the polar bear.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
A few years ago there was an article with pictures of a very large brown bear that was shot and killed by a native Alaskan woman with a .22 lr rifle with one shot that somehow found the brain.

That being said, I hunt everything in Alaska with a Whitworth 375 H&H rifle, and I have no desire to prove that a .22 lr is enough for a brown bear, and that goes for the 30-06 as well, unless that is all that is available.

My father was a 30-06 man and he often said "THE 30-06 WILL KILL ANYTHING THE WALKS CRAWLS OR FLIES, an it did for him! " I'll let those who want to shoot everything with a 30-06 do as it suits, but it simply is not for me!

......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a good read Belle Twin and her record book bear kill with 22 short.

Lot's pictures and information at the link both articles have good info.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...take-1953-world.html

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...with-little-gun.html
On 10 May, 1953, a front was passing through Slave Lake, a village on the South shore of Lesser Slave Lake in Alberta, Canada. It was cool, cloudy, and windy. A 63-year-old Cree grandmother and her partner were hunting small game near Florida Lake. The wind was from the NE, at 12 to 24 mph. At dawn, the temperature had been 40 degrees F. On the morning of the 11th it would be 35 degrees F. The high for the 10th was 58 degrees. Bella Twin and her partner Dave Auger were going to make hunting history.

They were about 7 miles South of Slave Lake, near Florida lake. Several accounts have been offered for what happened. The most plausible is that they were hunting small game along a cutline for oil exploration. They were not picking berries. There are no berries available on 10 May in the vicinity of Slave Lake. It was too early.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I'll let those who want to shoot everything with a 30-06 do as it suits, but it simply is not for me!

......................................................................... old

"Use Enough Gun" BOOM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall some years ago reading in Outdoor Life about an Alaskan women killing a record bear with a 300 Savage mod. 99..which I don't doubt one bit...

Listen to the bear guides..If they don't know about the calibers and how to kill bears, nobody does..

I will qualify my post by saying I think the .338 and 375 are better killers of elk on up than the 30-06 because they shoot bigger bullet at faster velocity, that only makes since.. They have a larger cross section and that counts, and IM by no means saying the 30-06 can't kill as dead, but I have had to shoot elk for instance more times to get them down than I have with the 338 or 375, so that means something..

I personally would be comfortable with a 30-06 and 200 gr. Nosler Partition on a Brown bear as Ive seen elephants killed with body shots with the 30-06 and the 7x57.

If I were going to hunt Brown Bear today Id opt for my .338 Win or my 375 H&H if for no other reason than I like both calibers and have used them a lot. and perhaps to justify buying something I never really needed in many cases shocker ..

Ive also used the 30-06 on about everything except Brown bears, Hippo, Rhino and elephant. I have never shot a Rhino btw....Its a grand caliber, time proven over about 115 years last count I remember. How can anyone question that.

And the bottom line is your bear guide will recommend a .338 Win. if you can shoot it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote