New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes, I am an idiot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I did it. I have booked another backpack sheep hunt in AK . It will occurs about 3 months before my 65th birthday.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just don't train yourself into an injury this time. You're only an idiot if you didn't learn from the last one.

Who'd you book with? Same guys as the last adventure?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Just don't train yourself into an injury this time. You're only an idiot if you didn't learn from the last one.

Jeremy

Yes, same company. Riley Pitts of Big Game Backcountry Guides.

I definitely made a mistake last time. It was not overtraining. It was not adjusting the pack when it clearly needed to be. Part of that may be because the frame itself had issues. I just sent it back to Barney’s. The difference is amazing.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Well, I did it. I have booked another backpack sheep hunt in AK . It will occurs about 3 months before my 65th birthday.

I should tag along as a observer Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good and safe hunt to you. What is your training regime?

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sanity is subjective! I always look forward to the hunt reports! Now I see why you're looking at the new Swaro DS....

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

I am lifting weights HARD three times a week.

I do a variety of cardio. Climbing hills with a backpack. Treadmill at various speeds and various inclines up to 30 degrees. A little running.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

Good to hear you're going back already.

Best to do so while you're able. Not as many
regrets that way. Sooner than later you won't be able to go, so do it while you can.

Good luck and enjoy,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

No Larry.

You are a hero!

Never let age stop you doing what you want to. clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jeremy

I definitely made a mistake last time. It was not overtraining. It was not adjusting the pack when it clearly needed to be. Part of that may be because the frame itself had issues. I just sent it back to Barney’s. The difference is amazing.

I forgot about the pack. How do you break a Barney's pack? Good luck, and be safe.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeremy

I forgot about the pack. How do you break a Barney's pack? Good luck, and be safe.

Jeremy

Jeremy:

It was not broken.

I am not sure of the terminology. A few of the buckles had to be replaced. In some, the little teeth that help hold the straps were totally worn off. Some of the straps have little ridges that the buckles grip. These were totally worn off.

Some things needed adjusting .

They replaced the screens that are on pack that go against ones bsck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I do a variety of cardio. Climbing hills with a backpack. Treadmill at various speeds and various inclines up to 30 degrees. A little running.

I would really add some bicycle riding to the training I have found that it really is a great help with the knees when carrying a pack in the mountains.

Then it not as hard on the overall body.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good for you! tu2

Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who hunts Alaska every year... loves it like I do Africa. Two years in a row he slipped and fell, once severely spraining an ankle, the next year dislocating his shoulder. My running joke with him is if he pays me a quarter of his sheep hunts he can dress up in his Kuiu gear and I'll push him down three flights of stairs. Same results, less money! Sounds like an option for you Larry! Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Come out on a Grand Canyon backcountry hike Larry!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
quote:

I would really add some bicycle riding to the training I have found that it really is a great help with the knees when carrying a pack in the mountains.

Then it not as hard on the overall body.

Totally agree with PD on this one. I run simply because it is faster to get a good workout than biking, but biking uphill is top notch training. Even better is unicycle, because going downhill is harder than uphill.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Best exercise to get ready for a backpack mountain hunt is to hike with a backpack in the mountains.

Just sayin'

Joyce and I use Crossfit to stay in the shape necessary for the final pre-hunt tune up.

We are 65.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Second on the crossfit, but you need to have good coaching and programing.

Best of luck Larry! I'm sure you'll do fine!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheers keep it up, Im 84 and still hunting and fishing, packing an elk to the PU this year took two Nitro, a nap ever half mile, ate lunch twice and finally got the backstraps and two rifles to the truck, the younger dudes got the rest..I lift weights, do a stair stepper, mostly to be able to rope twice a week in the summer, but it makes hunting much easier..I hate to walk, rather ride a horse, but it takes both to keep me going..Mother nature is a bitch! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like your style Ray!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yeah but you'll be a happy idiot on a sheep hunt Big Grin Wink

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Spot on. Stepping down with that medicine ball is the trick. I find going down hill most difficult, particularly with a pack. I am 62.

Some inner muscles in my hip and groin are weak.

quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Best exercise to get ready for a backpack mountain hunt is to hike with a backpack in the mountains.

Just sayin'

Joyce and I use Crossfit to stay in the shape necessary for the final pre-hunt tune up.

We are 65.

Cheers
Jim

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Booking a sheep hunt can never " be an idiot " situation, unless you have lost your sight, one or two broken legs, or sitting in a wheel chair or such thing. After done a sheep or goat hunt you long back to the mountains for the rest of your life !

Keep on Larry - even though you are " an idiot " as you put it Wink

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I never was much for working out even when playing sports. Now that I am old I like it even less. I'll walk up and down hills gyms not so much. More power to you!

Your post in the DSC thread made me think about the Chick fil a cows and the eat more chikin signs. The sheep are probably making eat more brisket signs!

Good luck,

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the O.P. trying to qualify for a 'handicapped' hunt?

No shame in that. I mean, even if you faked it the fees are certainly less.

popcorn

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A.J Hydell, I think you would really like the political sub forum.

Mr. Frostnit:
I hope I have the desire to train like that at 65. I ran a lot all the way through college conditioning for other sports, and now I hate running.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mr. Frostnit:
I hope I have the desire to train like that at 65. I ran a lot all the way through college conditioning for other sports, and now I hate running.

I've never had a shortage of desire or drive. But I do have a short attention span for repetitive physical pursuits.

I ran a lot as well through high school and college. Started martial arts in the early 70's and grew away from it 10 years later. Raced bicycles through the 80's and grew away from it.

Returned to running and then mountain hiking after moving to Alaska. Discovered Crossfit in 2012 ironically to train for a Sheep hunt. Drank the koolaide hard in the beginning as many "cult members" do but now I simply can not do without it. I have never had a physical pursuit I couldn't eventually adapt to. Crossfit is so varied your body simply can not adapt.

Crossfit has a bad rep for injuries and as Brett has pointed out all crossfit boxes (gyms) and trainers are not created equal. That said I have been injured doing every other pursuit I mentioned above, including Crossfit.

It comes down to a benefit vs. risk analysis for me and my wife. She is in the best age adjusted shape of her life. She beat cancer while doing Crossfit and I truly believe it had a lot to do with that positive outcome. She can deadlift 175% of her body weight, has an endless motor, and does not need to be encouraged to workout.

We are presently in Hawaii for two weeks and the first thing we did was find a Crossfit box in which to do a droppin. We've also worked out in Mexico. The methodology is the same and the "fitness family" transcends language.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit: after The loses we have read about on AR the last two weeks, this post about you and your wife brought a smile to my face.

Mr. Shores I am sorry for taking your thread off your sheep hunt. Keep us posted.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Sorry about the thread divert as well.

Cheers
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a problem

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Larry In my mind you should only have to carry your personal gear, nothing else,, and go light on that, A set of long johns,3 or 4 pair of socks, reading material,a down jacket, but not much more. 20lbs at most! I guide sheep hunters for 30 years and never asked a hunter to carry much of a load unless they wanted too!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waterrat:

I will be flying into your area in October to hunt bears.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Excersise and staying at it all throughout the year
That’s the ticket, but tough to do at times
Go get them Larry, that’s pretty cool

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:

No Larry, you're no more of an idiot than I was when I did a Dagestan Tur hunt in Azerbaijan when I was 71.

Once mountain hunting gets in your blood it's hard to quit. Kind of like after your first African hunt.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:

No Larry, you're no more of an idiot than I was when I did a Dagestan Tur hunt in Azerbaijan when I was 71.

Once mountain hunting gets in your blood it's hard to quit. Kind of like after your first African hunt.

Damn brother. That is a tough hunt.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
One of my hardest.... old Big Grin

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
One of my hardest.... old Big Grin

Very nice.

You have an advantage on me. You live in MT. I live in FL. I literally train on a tee box on a golf course at 60 feet elevation.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I literally train on a tee box on a golf course at 60 feet elevation.

Cool. I train on a tee box on a golf course at 4800 feet elevation. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may have missed it, but which sheep are you hunting.

Dall’s
Stone
Or big horn