Notify
Tools

Yes, I am an idiot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I may have missed it, but which sheep are you hunting.

Dall’s
Stone
Or big horn

I am hunting Stone this August with North River Stone. However, the subject of this post was about a Dall hunt with Big Game Backcountry Guides in Alaska.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry good on you and wish you the best time of hunting there.

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
Good luck Larry, that’s inspiring and wonderful to hear. You’ll do well, you want it enough. Smiler

If I may offer my advice as a backpack mountain guide, it’s do lots of miles lightly loaded as preparation and working on a great diet and nutrition plan. Half your improvements or more can be made in the kitchen. Make the overall effort high through the time put in not the flat out exertion, and avoid injury. Will also remove all the pounds possible off the waistline, and that’s the weight worth worrying about twice as much as gear. I like when hunting inspires healthy lifestyles like this, wonderful to see.

Not sure if the outfit offers a packer, I offer clients a young 20 something strong back they pay directly to huff the animal and a large share of the gear. Makes a world of difference in how far and how pleasurably one can travel for the $150 a day chipped to the young guy. More eyes there better too when glassing,

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
Good luck Larry, that’s inspiring and wonderful to hear. You’ll do well, you want it enough. Smiler

If I may offer my advice as a backpack mountain guide, it’s do lots of miles lightly loaded as preparation and working on a great diet and nutrition plan. Half your improvements or more can be made in the kitchen. Make the overall effort high through the time put in not the flat out exertion, and avoid injury. Will also remove all the pounds possible off the waistline, and that’s the weight worth worrying about twice as much as gear. I like when hunting inspires healthy lifestyles like this, wonderful to see.

Not sure if the outfit offers a packer, I offer clients a young 20 something strong back they pay directly to huff the animal and a large share of the gear. Makes a world of difference in how far and how pleasurably one can travel for the $150 a day chipped to the young guy. More eyes there better too when glassing,

Thanks Angus.

I face several issues including:
> Living at less than 100 feet above sea level

>Living in a very flat area.

>My age

>About 5 years ago, I gained about 50 pounds while exercising 2-3 hours a day and eating 1800 calories a day. After spending 4 days in Mayo Clinic to find out why, they believe it to be stress. I have little faith than these pounds will come off under any circumstance. I can't sleep and I have an extraordinarily stressful life.

> In 2016 ( I think) , I got injured before my sheep hunt. I tore certain intercostal muscles. I was banned from weightlifting and/or carrying a pack for weeks, maybe months before the hunt, I can't remember. When I put the pack on in Alaska, I had no idea if I could do it or not. These same muscles are feeling a little testy right now. I am at 50 pounds in the pack.

I have exercised for years. I lift 3 times a week. I do a variety of cardio usually 5-6 days a week, mostly with a pack. One day a week, I drop the weight in the pack down to 35 pounds and go 8-10 miles. The other days are anywhere from 60-90 minutes. Usually one day a week, I do something without the pack but still climbing.

I am getting a packer.

I am doing a stone sheep and goat, moose and caribou this August.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
Good luck in the training and nutrition Larry and appreciate the honesty, look forward to the hunt report.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Good for you Larry. The closest I come to mountain sheep hunting is climbing Namibian kopjes hunting eland. At the age of 72, that’s the best I can handle. I’ll be at this coming May.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I face several issues including:
> Living at less than 100 feet above sea level

Not an issue in Alaska, where you probably hunt at no more than 4-4500 feet elevation. I live about one hundred feet above sea level myself, and never found altitude to be a problem on an Alaska sheep or goat hunt.

Posts: 6121 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote