THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    20 ga. DR Build thread. WE ARE DONE !!!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 ga. DR Build thread. WE ARE DONE !!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Doc

Yes, this Smith has some true talent with wood and steel.
I was fortunate to hook up with him, thanks to AR.
I made the semi beavertail blank for him to use as a guide, but my skill is a mere tenth of a percent, if that, of his.

It has been a long journey, but enjoyable, I look forward to blooding the rifle in the woods in November.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am really impressed with this project.

Is it possible to build a 450/400 NE rifle on such an action?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Naki

Generally shotgun to NE DR conversions are frowned upon due to strength.
Are they done, YES.
To do them safely you usually have to use a large frame like 12ga or even 10ga. so they tend to be overly heavy and large.
Since I am staying within shotgun pressures I was not worried about the strength, thou I did use a 16ga donor gun to go to 20ga.
This had to do with the barrel profile I wanted to maintain.
There are a few companies here in the USA making DR's off of CZ shotgun actions, in all calibers up to 470, I believe.
I believe these are 20 or 16 ga actions.

Nitro

PS: I believe it has been said on here that Merkel DR's are based on there shotgun actions.

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you did in fact get that done for way cheaper than an Italian cheapo double you must have pictures of that gunsmith with a sheep or something else that's forcing him to give away his work. I hope you realize that you've got an easy 7 to 8k's worth of work and talent there? You do realize that right? Eeker

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
surestrike

YES I DO.

As stated before he is just getting established on his own.
He will probably use this project for his admission to the ACGG.
I regret not booking him for several project as I will never get this kind of a deal EVER again.
The price has gone up a little, but in all honesty he was not the direct cause of the increases, he told me in advance that certain jobs would be outsourced, the person he had lined up either retired or moved, and we had to source another, their rates were not as friendly as the original budget.

I also made some chages on the fly.
Dual forearms and new case colours.

BUT YES IT IS STILL CHEAPER THAN A SABATTI !

I will let him reveal all when he is ready.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
When you do the poor guy is going to be flooded with orders!! Mine first.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
surestrike

You next in line right behind my second project.
Can you say .577 BPE.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
.577 BPE on a shotgun frame?

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Surestrike

Post war Simson/ Merkel 12ga sxs bolstered frame, Like this one.

Original 10 tpsi, Nitro for black tested loads in Graeme's book were 6 ~ 8 tpsi.
The smith says it will work.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
UPDATE 07/11/11

Well the forearm is almost done.
I sent a 1:1 pattern of my K-gun forearm.
The smith copied it 100% but had to recess the latch because it was for a splinter type.
We have since discussed and he will make a Hybrid design forearm.
Semi-Beavertail design that will work with the existing metal and look proportionally correct.
But be similar to the K-gun farearm.

This is the pattern and forearm.

Close up of the latch beveled recess.

Forearm 80% done, before restyling. (100% replica of K-gun )

Gun outside in natural light with forearm loose fitted.

More to come next week.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

posted Hide Post
"I will let him reveal all when he is ready"
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Who is this guy? These days you cannot find this kind of talent.

Posts: 6 | Location: The middle of nowhere... Close to somewhere. | Registered: 23 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're killing me waiting for the final reveal. Smiler

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
If you guys think I am killing you waiting, for the reveal, how do you think I feel !
My daughter only took 9 months to arrive.
We are getting onto 13 months with this project.

I am not complaining, that was part of the deal and why the price is what it is.
But now that it is looking so good I am getting really ancy.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
UPDATE 7/18

Hello.

Well I got another installment of pictures.
The forearm is 99% done, woodwork wise.
He reshaped it according to the conversation we had and I am exstatic, HOME RUN.
Nice blend between the Krieghoff shape and made it work with the splinter metalwork.

And fitted on the gun.

Enjoy.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder if he could put some 577 barrels on a 10 ga sxs

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello

Depends on the 10ga !

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After seeing the metal and the work I can say without a doubt I know who it is. He is an excellent craftsmen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a excellent condition ithaca hammerless crass. Figured on a 10 ga frame.you could have some thick barrelsnin 577

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that the introductory price offer has expired on with the completion of this first project.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
UPDATE 8/15

The action is polished.
He is making bracing so it does not warp during case colors.
Should go out for colors this week.

Polishing pics:

Standing breach before polishing.

After polishing.

Enjoy Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
UPDATE 8/22/2011

Wood is being checkered.
Action is being cased.

No pics until everything makes it back to the smith.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Awe-inspiring work. Simply beautiful tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitro

I've been following this thread with interest. Looking at the latest pics I notice the action still has the original firing pins. Will you be fitting removable firing pin bushes? After reading Ellis Browns book I understand this is done not only to reduce the hole to suit rifle firing pins but also as a safety precaution to trap escaped gasses in the event of a ruptured primer.

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Rhodes,

Since this will be a bore rifle.
Shooting 20ga 3" commercial slug ammo.
And RMC brass cases with 209 primers at standard pressure, we decided not to bush the pins.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok that makes senes. That action has some nice engraving on it by the way.

Rhodes

DRSS

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 9/7/2011

Well wood is back from checkering.
Very well executed, sharp, clean and no overruns or under cut diamonds.

Nice clean simple pattern.

Action is scheduled back from colors on th 24th. 3 actions infront of me.

The smith will cut chambers this weekend.
And take casts for the RMC custom brass cases I am going to order.

Well that is it for now.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
UPDATE 09/19/11

Well the chamber reamer showed up.
The smith tried to hand ream, but reamer would not quit chattering.
So one elaborate set up later and a bunch of customizing, here it is.
The chamber that is not the gun.

The machine.

The set up.

Just starting to make the cut.

Almost done.

Hope the reciever will be cased and back by the 24th.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitro
This is a REALLY neat project!

I can't wait for the regulation part. Please show/explain as much as you can of the process. I'm sure there are a lot of us who will be interested.

Any thoughts on why the reamer chattered? I've hand reamed several guns with no issues. I'm curious as to why, in case I run into a similar situation.

Beautiful stockwork! One thing I would add if it were mine. I'd seal all the raw wood under the inletting. A week of hunting in rain in Newfoundland convinced me of the importance of that. Also slows down oil soaking.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
UPDATE 10/11/11

Well the action is back from case colours and engraving.
It has been assembled and final wood fitting has been done.
Next is to put barrels on face and proof.

This is the polished action with duck.

This is the colors and engraving.

Enjoy Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one pretty action!

If we don't try, we don't do. And if we don't do, what are we here for?

Posts: 47 | Location: Kodiak, AK | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 10/17/11

Action is on face .
Will attach pictures tonight.

Nitro.

Blacked action.

Fitted and polished breech.

Final fit on action.

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 11/24/11

Well good news, initial firing and regulation is complete.

Full side view.

Close up of the scope and action.

Nitrile blued internals and screws.

Assembled action.

1st shooting , no regulation , crossing at 50.

After 3rd. Adjustment, not bad.

Need to pick ammo I want it regulated for and finalize the regulation.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
"not bad"??? hell it's great! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Man, that is a beautiful picture!

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha Nitro headed for the island for opening 3-4 day of deer season can I borrow it??? just kidding looks great! Hope to see it up close this spring Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 11/07/11

Latest regulation Target.
Getting close.

Nitro

Edit: more info.

This ammo is the Lightfield Hybrid Exp. 3" 20ga magnum ammo.
It is an almost full bore shuttlecock shaped lead HP slug ( .500 )in a very thin sabot. (.625)
It weighs 7/8 oz. (385 gr) doing about 1600 fps.

I hope it shoots the remington buck hammers well also. ( .600 ) lead slug.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
Update 11/07/11

Latest regulation Target.
Getting close.

Nitro

Damn Nitro that I'd say that is getting close! I've seen $80K double rifles that wouldn't regulate than well! Top off the tight group with the fact that the left barrel is shooting left, and the right barrel is shooting right in a tight composite group! I should be so lucky!

...........................Congratulation! beer and Tell you gun smith I said he is a very uncommon smith in the USA where double rifles or double bore rifles are concerned! I can't wait to handle that little jewel! By the way what exactly is the model number for that scope?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Mac

I will look up the exact model # at home tonight.
It is the Bushnell elite 4200 1x4x24 illuminated 4 dot reticle.
Model # 42-1424M .
It may have been discontinued.
But I see them on eBay for around 400 bucks.

Nitro.

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello

Sitting in airport waiting for flight.
Going to smith for final regulation.
Will bring back with me, wish me luck on Tuesday morning.
Opening day.

Will send back for engraving and sights.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA