THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    20 ga. DR Build thread. WE ARE DONE !!!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 ga. DR Build thread. WE ARE DONE !!!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Man, Nitro that guy does some very good work!

.......................................................................... beer Congratulations!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Yep, I particularly like the gold inlay on the rear sight.

Nitro.

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
Cole.

Do you plan to roll your own ?
Will you be using brass or plastic ?
If not DG, what is your intended quarry ?

Nitro

PM sent.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 11/05/12

Finally Done it is on its way HOME.
Slight difference between the 50 year old metal and the new stuff, he tried very hard to hide it.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnificent. Would love to have one.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's awfully pretty, too pretty to scratch up.
Go ahead and send it to me and I'll take great care of it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I especially like the contrast between the receiver and the deep black of the barrels. Beautiful work and I expect well worth the wait.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work and nice regulation. For the guy who posted he had a reamed out .450; why don't you have those barrels rifled? Then you would have a very nice, straight shooting, 20 ga. Might have to have it re-regulated, most likely will.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! A nice looking rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Stunning, you are a lucky man!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 11/11/12

I shot her since I got her back.

The top group 4 shots, scope at 38 yards. (Sitting) 2" wide no vert, R 3 shots in 1".

Bottom group 4 shots irons, leaning against tree, 32 yards 2" x 2"

I need to move the bottom group up it was a little low, will put higher rear sight in.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT for easy reference. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
What a Great job !!!!!! clap

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I just love it... I'm glad we're all talking about these Bore guns. For the life of me I can't believe they are not more popular.

I'm going to Argentina this year and my Shot & Ball is the only gun I'm taking. From Doves to Buff and everything in between!

Beautiful build!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always had a soft spot for the scalloping on the Simson guns. I understand that wood-metal fit is critical to prevent cracking when scallops are present but the look is hard to beat. The contrast between the blued barrels and the receiver beautiful. An engraved coin finish and blue is also nice but your gun sure makes an argument for your finish. Bluing the locking lever is also a nice touch.

Excellent gun. You are indeed a fortunate man to have found a 'smith who does excellent conversion work.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a wonderful DR. It is truly beautiful, your smith did an excellent job. That is one to enjoy for generations.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sooo, who built the rifle? Or did I miss that?

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Todd

His name is Dirk Schimmel (h2oboy) IIRC.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I am sure you'll be happy with this wonderful rifle!
Enjoy it for decade, after decade, after decade... and
then may your daughters and and sons do the same!!!
dancing dancing dancing dancing

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd

His name is Dirk Schimmel (h2oboy) IIRC.

Nitro

Thanks. Looks like he did an outstanding job on your rifle. What a thing of beauty!

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Well finally it has fur filled it's purpose.

nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Awesome deer and rifle. Congrats!

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful !!!!!!!

What does the 20 bore rifle weigh with scope?

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Perfect!!!!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Bill

Thanks buddy.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update 11/05/12

Finally Done it is on its way HOME.
Slight difference between the 50 year old metal and the new stuff, he tried very hard to hide it.

Nitro

Nitro, that is a beautiful double rifle! Now you need to start a new one chambered for 22 LR for that little girl of yours! She will likely be ten years old before it is finished and about ready for "DANGEROUS" rabbit hunting!

...................................................................... tu2 old Mac

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful deer

Posts: 11371 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Mac

You might be on to something there.
PS. She just turned 8 so she may be 11 by completion.

Nitro.

DRSS, BASA

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac

You might be on to something there.
PS. She just turned 8 so she may be 11 by completion.

Nitro.

Well if she is anything like her dad she will be a hunter!
I miss the DRSS hunts at 4K! Those were fun days with good friends!

................................................................ tu2 old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Mac

Can't agree with you more.
I miss them too.
Good times with good friends.
Maybe we can get them going again.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure of handling your 20 bore rifle at Dirk's shop during regulation. It is a beautiful piece. I think you bought my 7x57 as well?

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Yes, sweet Brno
Just sourced a nice 1.5x6 Hensoldt claw mounted scope for it.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Nitro450;

Your 20 bore rifle is the most beautiful of all modern bore rifles built that I have ever seen, including those built by myself and others on this site. It is a credit to the skill and artistic eye of the rifle builder, whoever he is. It lines, designs, balance and finish is truly a work of riflemakers art. Even the Galazan 20 bore rifle cannot be said to be in the same league as this superb work of art. It puts me to mind of following the principles of the type or work and design that comes from the shop of Hartmann & Weiss, who are the finest builders of double rifles and guns in the world today. I salute your riflemaker.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Transvaal

Baie Dankie.
Sy naam is Dirk Schimmel en hy is baie goed en trots op sy werk.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, sweet Brno
Just sourced a nice 1.5x6 Hensoldt claw mounted scope for it.

Nitro

I sure hated to have to sell that rifle, and am glad somebody who appreciates it has it now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Transvaal

Baie Dankie.
Sy naam is Dirk Schimmel en hy is baie goed en trots op sy werk.

Nitro

Nitro450;

Dirk sure has reason to be proud of his work.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
wave You MUST feel SO Satisfied!!!!!
Photos top and center are outstanding!!!
flame Lower photo is NO GOOD!
The D/R is missing!!!!!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote