Find
Notify
Tools

500 KILL ALL... .500 Belted RUM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I gotta work with my 45-70 and hot loads some more. Some day when I am older I hope to be able to handle the BIG cartridges. I can shoot the 300 grainers at 2300 fps without flinching, but it hurt. I'm assuming a 458 Winchester or Lott would probably have a better designed stock for handling the recoil than my 45-70 guide gun? I shot a 375 H&H and I didn't think it was near as bad as my 45-70, although it could have been because I just shot a couple shots. The other day 30 rounds off sandbags with the 45-70 just about did me in. I am still a bit sore from over a week ago!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
love yer new icon thumb

better than mine...

the problem is bullet functional impact velocities...

dont go faster... go bigger for better performance.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27587 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
My group is my real light loads, but only at 25 yards. I figured that would give me a representation of where I can aim on squirrels with them. At 50 yards I had 3 shots cloverleafing, but then one went waaaay high, like clipped the top of the paper, (I guess my filler wasn't consistent?) and another one I flinched on. Frowner
If your group is at 100 yards, it's about what my deer loads do. My 45-70 outshoots my 7mm RM out to 100. :O I bet my squirrel loads would kill a deer fine, but trajectory is terrible and I wouldn't get any shock at 900 fps, just a hole.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I just realized that being that the since the 404 Jeffery aka 404 Rimless Nitro Express was derived from the 450/400 NE that makes the 500 MAX in english cartridge nomenclature the 450/500 Belted Rimless Nitro Express Smiler

Posts: 27587 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever heard of 12,7x55 AMOS? It's originally designed for AMOS (Advanced Mortar System) as a training ammo made by Finnish Patria. It is 338 Lapua Magnum case shortened to 55 mm and necked to 0,510".

What kind of pressures this 500 MAX can handle?

Left: 50 Beowulf, right: 12,7x55 AMOS

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
My educated guess is that it shouls hold the same as a regular rum. I will have to ask Ed the engineer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How bout a bump cause this idea is not dead. I had dropped Ed a PM asking a question about whether or not I need a 3 die set cause the brass is not bottlenecked. Guess the information could be useful in this thread. I am about to get Manson going on the reamer. Just waiting for the okay from the wife to give my CC#.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Gixxer... cant wait to see this puppy fly Big Grin

Next stop is a custom brass run.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomer, this one has been sitting around for a while. I figger it was time to poop or get off the pot! So the reamer IS on order right now, hopefully it does not take the full 8 weeks to get it made. Then it gets a trip to CH4D. After speaking to Mr. Hubel, I do need to get the 3 die set with the M type expander. I need a crimp die too. Now it's time to really think about the donor rifle. I was gonna start with the VZ 24 action I have, but I might just get a Rem 798 as the 375 and 458 already have two crossbolts. but, I am open to suggestion I think. As long as it is CRF. Last year I had access to a used M70 stainless classic in 7mm STW for like $400. Should have jumped all over that one, it was in very nice condition. Damn the bad luck. Hey Boomer I sent you a PM about the brass.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think a 375 Ruger might make a good donor...

the Ruger is a wide action and it already has the ability to take some beating.

Damn how cool would that be if you could just rebore it to keep the sights!

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
I gotta work with my 45-70 and hot loads some more. Some day when I am older I hope to be able to handle the BIG cartridges. I can shoot the 300 grainers at 2300 fps without flinching, but it hurt. I'm assuming a 458 Winchester or Lott would probably have a better designed stock for handling the recoil than my 45-70 guide gun? I shot a 375 H&H and I didn't think it was near as bad as my 45-70, although it could have been because I just shot a couple shots. The other day 30 rounds off sandbags with the 45-70 just about did me in. I am still a bit sore from over a week ago!

Tyler ., shooting 300 gr bullets from my 458s @ 2700 fps and more isn,t bad at all and at 2500 it,s very mild .....A Guide Gun with out the brake in it can chop the s--t out of you .. especially from the bench ......Can,t figure any reason to shoot a guide gun from the bench ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what would a good powder speed for this new creation be? H4350? Or would that be too slow?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Great Question...I think we need to check the capacity of the case to determine the best powders but I think using Lott loads for a starting point would be good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CH4D has my order. I am gonna get it all Ti coated for kicks. I need to get a dummy round together and send it to Lee to get a crimper made. Guess I need to get that custom brass order going. Probably beginning of July.

I am trying like hell to not look at those $600 stock blanks. NO!! But damn those fiddleback walnut blanks look so sweet!

Still moving along...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Minimum order would be 300 pieces and about $2.50 a piece. Any other takers? wave

Lets see if we can get 6 people to get 50 pieces.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well worse comes to worse I will pay for the order and then sell brass out when folks wanna use the reamer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
but 6 folks buying 50 sounds real sweet!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It would be so awesome to have another AR wildcat proprietary cart AND propper brass!!! dancing

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Next is a 2.3" case for WSM conversions. fishing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Boom, I just had a random thought. Since the brass has to be a custom run anyhow, why not make the casehead diameter .550 like the belt? Avoiding the rebated rim altogether? That does mean the boltface would need to be opened up a hair (for P/F, CRF would need some claw tuning), but so what?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The rebate unrebate is a double edge sword... The guns are already designed to feed the .532" rim. If you mess with that you could have feeding issues and create the (hypothetical) problem that you are trying to "fix"

Eventualy, idealy anyone can buy cases to form that are 50 cents a pop.

The design was to have the maximum power/bullet diameter with the least amount of mods.

Idealy a 500 Kill All conversion could be done for around $600.

Can it be done? yes, but what is "best" is subjective. Most would fall in the "Aint broke dont fix it" catagory.

I would have to talk to Qual Cart to ask about the Non Rebated version.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do see the mentality behind the cost effective thing. Guess we could leave well enough alone.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I'd buy 50 pieces of the brass....just to shorten for another project.

Projected delivery time?

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A short action or pistol cart?

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
One and the same.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
1.6" 2.1" or 2.3"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delivery time? That depends on how long it takes me to save up $700 if nobody goes in on the brass purchase. If I have to front it all we are talking Thanksgiving timeframe for the placement of the order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got done with some E mail traffic from Beth from CH4D. Turnaround time for the dies is gonna be 16 weeks. yes, SIXTEEN! Wow. That is like October timeframe. This thread is gonna be like almost three years old before that rifle burns any powder. Plenty of time to sell knives to get the cash for the metalwork I guess.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Hornady has been quoting 8 weeks for custom dies.

So far, I haven't had a set misbuild to print or lost by Hornady yet.

So where exactly are we at on the brass purchase?

Could you forward me a reamer print so I can check the dimensions for what I'm thinking of using these for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless I can get at least 5 other guys to go in on the brass purchase it is going to be at least Thanksgiving till I can scrounge up the cash to place the order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I GOT THE REAMER!

Yes, you heard it correctly. The UPS man dropped off the package yesterday. Pretty cool, came in a nice wood box. Dies are less than two months away.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Great news Gixx!!

Happy dance dancing

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Can you post a pic???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sure. I need to go buy batteries, go figure. Tomorrow night.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Hey gixxer, sorry I have not followed the thread, what reamer is it you have bought?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bent, I purchased the chamber reamer for the first ever chambering of the 500 Max. check the pic in Boom Stick's post. It is the one on the right. It is RUM brass blown out straight, belted, and shoots 500 S&W bullets. I plan on loading 600gr gas checked lead pills along with the hornady 500gr jacketed pills.

Pics to come tonight. getting batteries for the camera

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
500 Nitro power on a barrel swap...pretty sweet!

Ranger Ricks bullets right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, Ranger Rick's. Or KDM but their site is not working all that great these days. The pics suck, I ran out of daylight. I need to take em as soon as I get home from work.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I am happy to see a gun made up!!
Good on ya, Boom and gixxer!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks... wave

Once brass is made it could be the poor mans ( rotflmo) entry into the "500 Club"