New
Find
Notify
Tools

First 476 AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have attached some pictures of my recently completed 476 AR.

It is a shortened 416 Rigby case necked up to .475. I actual use 450 Dakota brass as a starting point.

This is one of Jeffesso's creations and I was lucky enough to put the first one together.

I am an amateur builder at best but I get my pleasure by at least trying!

The action is a 1939 marked, VZ24. The magazine is modified from an Accurate International magazine that was for a 338 Lapua: same parent case. DPCD modified it and the military bottom metal to feed the 476 AR. It will hold four down.

Front sight is a NECG with a red fiber optic insert and the removable open hood. The rear peep is mounted to the cocking piece and is adjustable for windage and elevation.

I did not put the rear swivel mount on prior to the photos. I did not realize it until after I took the pics! It is a Dakota made swivel base.

The rifle weighs somewhere between 9 1/2 and 10lbs.

You can get the dimensions from one of Jeff's posts by clicking the appropriate link at the bottom of his posts.

Many thanks to Jeff for his help with this project. Without him this would not have been possible.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes Batman! Love that mag!
Other than the magazine, it is quite a svelte package.
What is your load goal? 500@ 2,300fps?
Could you do 2 down with a flush plate?
Awesome job tu2 tu2

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on what the 500 AR will do;they should be very similar with the same weight bullet, I would say 2400 with a 500 and 2000-2100 with a 600gr.

I have fired a few 600's but have not chronoed them.

Maybe 2 with a bit of a drop plate. Not sure what the 416 Rigby's, in a 98 Mauser, would hold. It would take some mods to the box to make it wider as well as longer, I would think. This was a more economical way to go.

The feeding is superb as it is a pretty much straight shot into the barrel.

DPCD did an amazing job with converting the AI mag to work.

The ground squirrels around here are not going to know what hit them!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Load up some 400 grain Speer gold dot bullets @ 2,700fps for pretty much anything from squirrels to bear!

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan.

Might be a little easier on shoulder as well!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome build! Looks like you're ready to take on marauding herds of rogue Elephants with that magazine. Nice wood!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wonderful wood! The mag is an Accuracy International AW (Arctic Warfare), .338 Lapua mag that feeds straight line. I had to mill out a new front box panel to get it to work.
It would have held two down with a regular floor plate but nod wanted 5 rounds to fend off charging chipmunks.
It might have some recoil though.

Posts: 17107 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
One of the coolest builds that I have seen in a long time. A cool combination of old school and practical tactical. I think you are on to something

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had two of the cocking piece mounted peeps and finally decided to use one on this build. The other is on a 9.3x62 I am working on.

Then when I decided to go with the side safety I thought it would be good contrast especially with the color case hardened bolt sleeve.

Kind of the best of both worlds, as you said practical and tactical!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How do you carry that rifle? With a tactical sling? Can you make a flush or flush-ish plate to make it a comfortable carry by hand or by a regular rifle sling? Ask Jeff, those Gold Dot bullets are plenty tough. Killed me some hogs with that bullet. I think I need a drop belly or mag like yours for my soon to be 476 Accrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the Dakota swivel on the stock and put a sling on her.

Carry's fine with a sling.

If you carry with your hand, just in front of the mag, it balances very well. The longer barrel, I think, help with moving the balance point forward.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nice!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
The magazine is modified from an Accurate International magazine that was for a 338 Lapua: same parent case. DPCD modified it and the military bottom metal to feed the 476 AR. It will hold four down.

Very nice solution to both the case capacity and feeding issues!

I sure wish someone would come up with a better looking trigger guard and magazine release than that offered by AI. Visually, at least to me, it's very usable but it's just darn butt ugly...especially when matched with a very nice stick of wood.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is actually a converted Mauser 98 military trigger guard.

The release is not the prettiest ever put on a custom rifle but it is very functional; both easy to use and it holds the mag in place perfectly.

I like it!

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
It is actually a converted Mauser 98 military trigger guard.

The release is not the prettiest ever put on a custom rifle but it is very functional; both easy to use and it holds the mag in place perfectly.

I like it!
Function is more important than looks - would be nice if someone could create a one with good function and good looks.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote