New
Find
Notify
Tools

577 Belted Magnum Express 3"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I missed this...what will this cartridge be named?

585 Gibbs Belted Magnum ?

Boomie - that last post of yours.....are you running for public office ?

KMule

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am holding out for .577 Belted Magnum Express...but the final call is Boomie's!

Went thru my parts box and found two P14 bolts!!
Made my day.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMuleinAK:
Perhaps I missed this...what will this cartridge be named?

585 Gibbs Belted Magnum ?

Boomie - that last post of yours.....are you running for public office ?

KMule

not running for public office but i have to be carefull about what i say around here since i have not killed as many elephants as wm bell or fired the biggest boomers like safari kid and built as many guns as p.o. ackley and there are plenty o people here that will remind me otherwise.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I am holding out for .577 Belted Magnum Express...but the final call is Boomie's!

Went thru my parts box and found two P14 bolts!!
Made my day.

Rich
DRSS

lucky you rich...

as for the name...

585 is an easy conversion from stamped 505 and is exactly the diameter bullet so that is neet

the 577 is good since this is pretty much a bolt action 577 nitro

the correct term would be 577 belted magnum nitro express to follow the english way but that is too long

we are kinda limited to the brass on hand and what it says and an easy conversion to the name but if there is going to be a good demand which we are expecting there will need to be runs of brass and then we are free to stamp whatever we wish on it.

i am conflicted as to the final name but the name ed and i thought would be good is the 585 belted and stamo the brass 585 magnum like the 550 magnum 458 win mag ect but the name can change.

possible names could include 577 or 585 and belted, magnum, nitro, express and some yet to be inspiration but 585 magnum or belted magnum is the working name we have...we have to be careful not to rename it too many times as to confuse people.

kmuleinak... we could use your field testing for mag articles.

either way it will rock! so no worst case scenario here.

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577 BEE-MEE...belted magnum express...no cordite powders anymore so Nitro is not a worthy addition to the name....IMHO!

Until I get the deal set to take it to Africa I am not going to inscribe the barrel. If I get there before we get our own brass 577/550 Magnum sounds okay...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
577 BEE-MEE...belted magnum express...no cordite powders anymore so Nitro is not a worthy addition to the name....IMHO!

Until I get the deal set to take it to Africa I am not going to inscribe the barrel. If I get there before we get our own brass 577/550 Magnum sounds okay...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...?

Rich
DRSS

577 K.O. animal

the term express was a marketing term to describe how it hit like an express train or how fast you could reload from what i have read. belted infers a bolt action and magnum meaning large like the magnum wine bottles so that would apply

One of Us
posted Hide Post
from what I have read, the "express" term was often used to delineate a bullet at increased velocity.

577 Belted Magnum Express...BEE-MEE!! It also fits very nicely on a rim.

just my 3-cents worth (inflation)

Rich
DRSS

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since yours would be the longest, most arduous trek, we will give you some time to set the date, October or even early November. Check your schedule and get back with us.

Rich
DRSS

Hey Rich,

I have reviewed my calendar and unfortunately, right up until X-mas, between work travel and hunting trips, I am highly unreliable to try and plan something around. Best if you guys plan without me, and hopefully I can make it work. After New Years my calendar is pretty open! Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear that canuck...i was looking forward to meeting you. sorry you will miss out on the fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
perhaps we should call it the 585 RGB wee-rex in homage to the man who actually is responsible, knowing that ours can only be a pale shadow in comparison to his, we bow our heads and then prostrate ourselves facing Las Vegas.

I receive consolation in knowing that every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the forum can own and operate one...democracy at its best!!

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
wee rex! lol rotflmo

i dont think so...

even at classic loads it a pachederm stopper!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
at Boomstick's request I will leave the kids alone to commiserate with each other.

I will, instead, focus on getting the 585 wee-rex built and loading data assembled over the time frame from reamer arrival (tentatively scheduled for end of September from the esteemed Dave Manson) to actual shooting...week to ten days later.

I sent Ed twenty-seven 505 cylindrical cases to belt for me yesterday morning, and have begun discussions with a noted custom bullet maker about some new nose shapes for my 475 and 550 Gibbs and the 585 wee-rex. I expect to focus more on bullet weight than actual velocity. Since, the 577NE has proven the velocity is sufficient to shoot thru an elephant from intake to exhaust. Perhaps an 875gr truncated cone bullet in soft and solids.

Rich
DRSS
facilitator and stepper on of sacred toes

one of us
posted Hide Post
I delivered reamer and case print and 2
585s to Manson today. Visited a little,
Also delivered 500 Max/RUM print and 2
cases. Cases from Rich to make 585s
just got here.Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Progress Report:577 Belted Magnum Express 3"
A couple bits of good news to share.

1. Ed shipped me the formed brass. It arrived today. Gorgeous stuff.

2. I spoke with the gentleman who has committed to making the initial run of jacketed bullets for testing the
NOW OFFICIALLY .577 BME. He got a shipment of .600 jackets and swaging them down for .585" bullets will be
rather simple. I am going to his shop next week to make some .550" Gibbs magnum bullets, and we will have
at least a few .577's if all goes well.

3. My spare 505 Gibbs came Monday afternoon, it is an Enfield. I am talking to a barrel maker with the hope
of getting him to contour the .577" barrel to match the 505 dimensions so I do not have to rework the stock,
or make a new one. The thought of a switch barrel in 505 Gibbs and 577BME is intriguing...

Ed is set up to make the brass, although once the reamers arrive from Dave Manson we can simplify Ed's job with a file&trim die. Those reamers from Dave will allow my gunsmith here to make a set of reloading dies or two for the group. Barring some unforeseen issues, we will have the reamers in three weeks or less, add 3-4 days for a file&trim and reloading dies, bullets the same time; and this wildcat will roar on or about no later than October 8th. The Shootout might come off October 12-12-14th. I'll have at least sixty rounds loaded and ready for the party in each of the three Gibbs, 505, 550, and 577. Plenty of warmup for the 416 Rigby.

regards to all,

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb

Excellent news, thanks for the update - can you post a photo of the gibbs brass with the belt ?

Also, the price of $2.50 per case, this price is after Ed puts on the belt?

The idea of a low budget 577 bore bolt gun is great - I am still searching for a donor action / rifle for this project.

Thanks again

KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Here it is on the left.

Brass will come from Neil Shirley I think at 3$ but they should last a long time.

quote:
Originally posted by hubel458:
I have a simliar longer case in
my Enfield. It's my 585HE
Now 585MAG won't do 3000 with 650gr
or 2800 with 750gr, like mine,
but it will do as good as, or better than
Nyati and Trex. I will be able to do load
developement with my long case and some
hard wads I have for filler to get loads same
as what the 585Mag holds. It will also have expansion ratio same when I do, that so
the results will be accurate. Here is pic
for comparison. Left 585 Belted Mag, Center
600OK, right my 585HE.Ed.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It is a friggn monster!...it makes the 45-70 look like a 22lr!

one of us
posted Hide Post
dancing

Great photo - could you take the same photo with a ruler next to the cases?

That would be the money shot thumb

Boomie - did you get my PM?

KMule

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Howzzzat?...it's a 3" monster

one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb

Excellent, many thanks - now to scrounge an action bewildered

Anyone know of any places to look for a suitable action in Kentucky ?

Going next week to tour distilleries and horse stables, might indulge in some bourbon Big Grin while there.

RIP - are you in the Louisville / Frankfort area ?

KMule

KMule

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
K-man...you fellow bourbonologist you...Sounds like a blast!

If you do a stop over in Idaho in about 4 weeks you can shoot it at the shoot out planned by Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tested some loads
today in my 585 with volume reduced to
match the 3" 577 Belted Mag.750 gr bullet.
Woodleigh bullet with cannalure distance
from base of .600 inch distance.
Bullet seated to the cannalure, more powder could be used if bullet seated out further.
Everything extacts easy,most could
be reloaded and shot without resizing.

RL-22- 125gr.....1750 fps
RL-22- 135gr.....1850 fps

RL-19- 125gr.....1860 fps
RL-19- 135gr.....1950 fps

RL-15- 125gr.....2140 fps
RL-15- 135gr.....2250 fps

7383 Surplus-110gr.....1770 fps
7383 Surplus-120gr.....1900 fps(Max load)

I tested 7383 as Rich wanted to see what
it would do if someone has some to use,
being it is 3-4 bucks a lb. None of these
expanded my cases more than the called for
base size with the cases starting out after
resizing only .002" smaller. So shows
moderate pressures. Love my belted cases.
Will test IMR powders and ball powders
next few days. The ball powders will get
Trex loads if wanted without hurting brass.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tested ball powders--Bullet seated to
cannalure on Woodleighs 750 gr.
These loads are moderate for firing cases
20 plus times. Woodleighs have a base
to cannalure distance of.600' and could be seated out with these powders. Like cut new cannalure.Best results if crimped. Ed

H-414....135gr----2035 fps
H-414....145gr----2150

W-760.....135gr----2050
W-760.....145gr----2170

W-748.....125gr----2230
W-748.....135gr----2350

WC860 surplus 145gr--1750 fps

MZEE WA SIKU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU ED!!!!!!!!!!!

By time I get all of those powders tested it will be time for the gathering. Shoot these big boys and debate the merits of Glen Fiddich Special Reserve VS good Tequila.

I can hardly wait.

Thanks again Ed, the true Patriarch of the Clan.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Have you guys thought about getting BATF aproval for your destructive device, or did I miss that somewhere?
I'd hate to see someone get spanked over a paperwork oversight.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
guys

do NOT ask the ATF for a DD...

ask for a ruling as a sporting round.

there is a HUGE difference

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Ed...is it time to do paperwork yet or are we waiting for Rich to get his up and running first?

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
If you make it first, then it is a destructive device and subject to $10,000 fine and/or 10 years in prison. Also possible confiscation and destruction of the Evil Destructive Device.
I don't know if they would actually do it or not, but if they were feeling froggy, then who knows?

Jeffe is exactly right, ask for an exemption for Sporting Purposes, just like the 550 Magnum and Express. RNS might be able to help with the wording for the request?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to make case first, to get the
dimensions for a sketch you have to
send them,with letter asking for it to
be classed as a sporting cartridge.
I will do it in a few weeks. Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Rich has some good news...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 577BME barreled action will be chambered tomorrow afternoon and I will testfire it; even if I have to wrap a shop towel around the front of the receiver/barrel juncture and "freehand" it one round.

Rich
DRSS

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Did RICH make it through the test firing?

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
there are those who like big bores and they can be catagorized:

1. Shoots monster heavy rifles but does not hunt.

2. Shoots monster heavy rifles and claims to hunt, but doesn't

3. Has monster heavy rifles, to show off to his friends but won't shoot them, just uses them to impress folks.

4. Shoots regular rifles that don't weigh much, don't recoil too bad and hunts a lot. shoots a lot.

3. Shoots monster heavy rifles, shoots them a lot and hunts, don't mess with this dude, he is a sadist and he will hurt you! wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And, tomorrow afternoon, if all goes well, I will finally get to touch off the first round.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing banana dancing

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

3. Shoots monster heavy rifles, shoots them a lot and hunts, don't mess with this dude, he is a sadist and he will hurt you! wave

Masochist ... sadist is the guy that shoots powderpuffs when he touches it off and over max when you light it off...

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit different, I usually find a HV load for my big bore rifles, and just load that. .375" and bigger, I have two. One cast, and one jacketed. .458" and bigger the cast will be as fast or a bit faster sometimes. Until I get to 2400fps I usually shoot mostly cast. I figure you can only kill inanimate objects cast-bullet dead. If I can find a sub-2moa load for the 550 Gibbs with my heavy cast over 2200fps it is what I will kill my buffalo and elephant with.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Redoing the reamer...Perfection takes time Frowner