Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kei River Hunt
 Login/Join

posted
My wife and I decided to go on our 8th African safari, this time taking advantage of an offer on AR discount hunts by Andrew (Andy) Renton of Kei River Hunting Safaris. My wife quickly got everything arranged including airline flights through United which is an airline that in the past we had a great deal of trouble (first flight with them in nearly ten years). Cost of flight was less than any flights taken to South Africa in past and much faster, 24 hours from Eugene, Oregon to Jo’burg, approximately the same on our return. United improved their service in all phases of travel. I am unable to comment on taking firearms as I used Andrew’s (stopped taking my own to Africa ten years ago).
After an uneventful flight to Jo’burg, we spent the night at Afton Safari Lodge. Had a couple of beers around a fire enjoying conversation with successful hunters ready to return home and others full of anticipation for their upcoming hunts. Great steaks were enjoyed by all, then early to bed and on to East London in the morning.

Maweni Lodge

Meeting Andy for the first time at East London Airport, I shortly got that feeling that we made the right choice and would have a good memorable hunt. Within a couple of hours, we made the drive to an area outside of Queenstown, and Maweni Lodge was our home for the next ten days. The lodge was very comfortable with large dining table and a welcoming fireplace which was greatly enjoyed throughout our stay because of a record cold front with temperatures at or below -5 C nearly every morning. Our room was a comfortable, rondavel thatched roofed chalet with indoor toilet and shower.

I don’t like hunting when jet lagged so on this hunt, I took the first couple of days off and stayed at observer rates. We spent those days looking over the area, checking the sights on a couple of rifles (300 Win Mag and a 223 with silencer for small stuff) and taking it easy. This approach worked well, and we were ready to go after a couple of days.

It became evident early on that Andy had incredible eyesight with an exceptional ability to spot and judge game animals at a distance, even with only a small portion of the animal visible. We had a limited list of desired animals; it took a couple of days to locate what we wanted. My wife would be first up for a shot at a Nyala, which was spotted early in the morning. A stalk was made to within 240 yards, we were unable to get closer. The bull was tending a cow with two other bulls nearby and stayed in thick cover most of the time. It was very frustrating and took four hours of waiting to get the right shot. At the shot the bull went straight down. Congratulations and many pictures where taken; we now had the first animal in the salt.

Teresa's Nyala

On the previous day’s evening hunt, we ran out of daylight while pursuing Grey Duiker but saw several males with potential. Andy and I set up near a spot in a field where a male and female fed the evening before while my wife and tracker (Sutu) stayed back. As it got late in the evening, Andy observed Sutu waving his arms to draw our attention. It was evident that he wanted us to return. We got back and Sutu pointed out a male at the other end of the field that looked promising. With light failing, I walked directly behind Andy to within 60 yards, surprisingly close as we were out in the open. The first shot went over the Duiker’s back, a complete miss. How does that happen at 60 yards? The Duiker continued to feed unalarmed by the warning shot. Next shot took him down, an old guy that was blind in one eye (hazed over) probably couldn’t see out of the other and possibly deaf. Sometimes I get lucky and run into an animal that’s more worn out by old age than I am.

Randy's Duiker

The next morning found us looking for Steenbok in a wide-open grassy area. The weather was cold and windy which wasn’t helpful. By mid-morning we saw a few females and small males, nothing to get excited about. That all changed when my wife spotted a lone ram. A stalk was made in the same fashion as the evening before. With no cover Andy and I walked single file straight at the Steenbok, stopping when he lifted his head, continuing when feeding and moving. By the time we stopped I was getting to know the backside of my PH well. The Steenbok fed towards us stopping at around 60 yards where I made the shot cleanly taking him down. I was very happy to get the Steenbok and Duiker as they proved elusive on recent Safaris after I decided I wanted them.

Randy's Steenbok

On the evening hunt we attempted to get the lodge a meat eland. We set up over a water hole on a high ridge. The wind was still blowing hard. We saw eland in the distance, but they didn’t come in. Andy’s wife Sharon and daughter TJ arrived at the lodge that evening delivering some wine and beer.

In the morning we hunted for Kudu on the neighbor’s property. Pete had his nephew hunt the day before trying to get a Kudu for staff rations. He missed a few times so Pete asked us for help. I was able to collect the meat Kudu out of a group of five or six bulls. Pete was happy to get the meat and I was happy to help out. Sharon and TJ left in the afternoon returning to East London. We enjoyed their company wishing they could have stayed longer.

Randy's Kudu

We rose early this morning as some driving time was required to get to the area where we would hunt Common Reedbuck, near Komga. The area was mostly open with brushy draws. The wind was howling and uncomfortable for animals and hunters and it took a while for animals to move. Andy spotted a ram with a couple of ewes; the stalk was on getting close and nearly got a shot off before they spooked. We followed for a while; they were very elusive. We bumped several more Reedbuck and one big ram that gave a questionable skyline shot that I didn’t take. Back at the truck we were heading to a different area when a good ram with a hot ewe was spotted. Andy and I made our normal back side in line stalk on the preoccupied sexually active Reedbuck getting within 50 yards of the pair. At the shot the ram staggered momentarily and went down. A beautiful ram with nice long horns. We spent the rest of the afternoon until dark hunting for Bushbuck, saw several, but none were mature enough to take.

Randy and Andrew with Common Reedbuck

We took the next day off as it was cold, and the wind continued to blow. We had everything that we wanted from this area and the pressure was off. Had a couple of days left before moving to Bloemfontein and the Sable hunt. I added an Impala and management Wart hog to the hunt.
My wife was up for the Impala hunt as she wanted an Impala for our granddaughter who admires the mounted Impala we have at home. The cold and wind continued to affect animal movement. Andy saw some Baboons; I was getting ready to take one out when Sutu spotted Impala on a far hill. This time I stayed with Sutu and watched as my wife and Andy stalked the Impala. Two shots were taken at approximately 210 yards and the ram was found dead with two holes in it, after a short follow up. Back at the lodge Sharon had returned with Andy’s son Cameron. That afternoon we all went out. Andy and I walked into a water hole where pigs were running around. An old sow with no piglets was spotted. At the shot she went down. This sow was old on her last leg, ticks and fleas everywhere, back bone and ribs showing.

Teresa's Impala
Randy's Warthog

Our last day at Maweni Lodge came to soon. Sharon left for East London with Sutu, while Cameron traveled with us to Bloemfontein. We stayed two nights at Krige Lodge B+B. Our hostess was owner Adri van Rooyen, and she looked after us during our stay.

My wife hunted Sable in an area north of Bloemfontein. There was a lot of buffalo tracks and sign in the Sable area, although none were seen you knew they were close. After hunting for a while with no Sable seen we regrouped and checked a slightly different area. A single Sable bull was spotted. It was solidly hit in the shoulder with the first shot and went down. Miraculously it got back on its feet, when hit again it staggered around and went down. Tough animals. What a magnificent animal and everyone was elated. This concluded the hunting portion of our Safari. Under Andy’s guidance we took fantastic animals on an enjoyable hunt. On the way back to Krige Lodge we stopped off at Kruger Taxidermy (Markalalo Pty Ltd) to get the Sable caped and visited with owner Kruger Human. Kruger is a very likable individual and interesting to talk to.

Teresa's Sable

The next morning, we headed to Jo’burg. Andy dropped us off AfrikaSky Guest House. I don’t think that this is our last hunt with Andy. Andy and his son Cameron would pick up another client and head for the Timbavati to hunt Buffalo. AfrikaSky is a nice place to stay with friendly staff.

The second stage of our trip began with a flight to Nelspruit. We were picked up at the airport by Jasper and Antoinette Aitchison owners of Bushpig Safaris. We drove into Kruger National Park and stayed the night at Skukuza Rest Camp.
We took an unproductive night game drive, which was very cold, and animals weren’t active. On our way out the next morning we saw lots of animals after it warmed up especially large concentration along the lower Sabie River. Stayed the remainder of our trip at Bushpig Safaris, went back to the park three more days with a tour guide. One day we saw all the Big Five including over three hundred Elephant, a couple of bulls approaching the 100-pound mark and numerous bulls over 60 pounds.

Lion in Kruger National Park
Elephant in Kruger National Park

Bushpig Safaris lodge is an incredible place with White Rhinos, Buffalo, Crocs, Hippos, and plains game on the property. The lodge has the largest display of African trophies that I’ve seen. A couple of evenings we were fortunate to eat supper at the family home. They have an amazing array of animals that hung around the house in the evening looking for handouts. My favorite entertainment was watching Rhinos toss Warthogs, the winner was a Rhino that sent a Warthog sailing over a tree. Jasper does a lot of hunting for Crocs, Hippos and Buffalo. One morning while sipping coffee in our chalet a shot rang out. A young couple from the Netherlands shot a buffalo, which ran up to within 100 yards of our chalet, and then gave off two loud death bellows. We had a wonderful time with Bushpig Safaris, felt fortunate that we got to know the family and hopeful of another visit in the future.

Dinner entertainment at Jasper's and Antoinette's house
Jasper's lodge

While in South Africa (July 4-July 26) the country went to level 4 covid-19 restrictions. This enacted nonbusiness travel restrictions, a curfew, and closed bottle stores (no alcohol sales). In South Africa hunting is business. We were always back at the lodge during curfew and never ran out of beer or wine. It had no effect on us at all. South Africa is now back to level 3. No looters, rioters, arsonist, or any civil disorder was observed or affected our travels in South Africa.

South Africans are gravely concerned with covid-19, I observed higher standards in public places of mask wearing, disinfecting, social distancing, and hand sanitizing than in the USA. No hunters that I talked with at Afton Lodge, AfrikaSky Guest House or in airports had any issues, concerns, or problems with their safety. All were vaccinated. Several times during the trip we were thanked by locals for coming, we where the first Americans they had seen in over a year. I hope our experience is helpful and a Safari is in your near future.

Sunrise

Posts: 3 | Location: Roseburg, Oregon USA | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good report and pics! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew is the real deal. I've hunted 4 times with him. Lowest scoring animal I've taken with him was #35. Got the #2 SCI handgun kudu and several top 10s.
A true gentleman & has access to an unbelievable amount of land.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great one, thanks for posting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote