THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Trip report: Roe deer and Muntjac in Oxfordshire, England

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip report: Roe deer and Muntjac in Oxfordshire, England
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted
Trip report – Roe deer and Muntjac in Oxfordshire, UK

Booking Agent: Sam Farrow, who posts here as Hunt Inter. We never met in person, but Sam took excellent care of all the details, so that I had the skulls ready to be brought home 3 days after I finished hunting.

Guide: Alex Nielsen. Alex guides for deer and culls deer for a living. He knows where the deer are and is good company.

Dates: September 13 (afternoon); September 14 (morning), 2019

Location: Oxfordshire. I killed both deer within about 5 miles of the Oxford city center!

Rifle: I borrowed Alex’s Sako in 243 Ackley Improved. It was fitted with a bipod and a suppressor.

Having a work-related meeting on September 16-18, I decided to leave the Thursday before, bought my airline tickets, and then checked to see if it would work for me to hunt roe deer and muntjac on the weekend before. Having previously seen hunt report on AR covering muntjac and Chinese water deer I contacted Sam Farrow who posts here as Hunt Inter.

His deer hunting guide, Alex Nielsen, was available to guide me on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, which was ideal for me, as I was also hoping to spend the day with friends on Sunday, also.

Sam arranged a hotel in Steventon, near Abingdon and Alex met me there at 3:30. The weather turned out to be glorious: warm (66F/19C) in the afternoon, cooling down to around 45F/7C overnight, dry, and sunny.

We visited several different properties – farms with mixed woods and cut grain fields. We walked through the woods and tried calling; we stopped various places and glassed for deer. We saw a number of roe deer, including a couple roe bucks that vanished into thick cover. Like whitetails, roe deer tend to come out of cover near dusk. At dusk, in the last place we stopped, a large cut bean field next to a busy road, there were two roe bucks pushing each other around and eating beans that the combine had missed. We watched them through binoculars and after deciding that one was suitable for me – a representative buck rather than a record book buck – I lay down and shot prone from about 150 meters with Alex’s Sako in 243 Ackley Improved.

The next morning we went out again and looked for a muntjac. We spotted several muntjac and three foxes in one field. I shot the muntjac ram that was marking its territory – they have scent glands near their eyes and they rub it in the grass and stubble. This time I used sticks. Alex suggested I shoot a fox also, which I did.

After that, we spent a couple more hours looking around, taking photographs, and attempting to stalk a larger muntjac.

Sam had the skulls boiled, bleached, and sent to my London hotel by Tuesday mid-day. They were nearly but not completely dry. I cleared them myself through customs. I had previously emailed the US Fish & Wildlife Service (as they requested) and read the USDA Animal Products Manual. My interpretation is that two or less sets of antlers should go through as long as they are dry. And, that there should be no requirement for additional documentation beyond the USFWS 3-177 form. Nevertheless, the Ag Inspectors asked for proof that they were legally hunted and a copy of my hunting license (not required for deer in the UK). I showed them an email from the guide and told them in a very friendly way that my interpretation of their manual was that I didn’t need that. They muttered that there was still some damp tissue. Finally, after an hour, they let me go with no further hassles. This was similar to my experience clearing moose antlers through Atlanta. I really think they are just not that sure about what to do in an unusual case.

Summary: For me, this was an excellent opportunity to combine work and hunting. If I’d had more time, I’m sure Alex would have found some larger deer. But I was more interested in taking representative mature bucks than holding out for record book.
I’m posting this from Dallas, so still have one more leg to go before I get them home. I’m hoping that the baggage handlers don’t destroy the skulls between here and Oklahoma!

Miscellaneous photos below

Skulls in my London hotel room.

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool hunt and great pics. Thanks for the report. An enjoyable read.
Cheers.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1986 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Hannay, Congrats on two solid UK deer ! Really enjoyed reading the report and terrific photographs ! Well done. Hope the heads got home intact and thanks for sharing!

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent roe buck and quite interesting - very wide.

Congratulations.

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your UK huntwith us. Great pictures.

Posts: 10558 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hannay,

Nicely done and good shooting! I hope to do something similiar with Alex in the next year or two. BTW Alex is bow hunting for elk with my guy in Idaho as I write this.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12841 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Very nice roe deer

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Waidmannheil, that is quite a nice roe buck. I had forgot that muntjac also had fangs.

I need to go to the UK for a shooting trip. I have been there many times but never hunting.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Waidmannheil, that is quite a nice roe buck. I had forgot that muntjac also had fangs.

I need to go to the UK for a shooting trip. I have been there many times but never hunting.

Waidmannsdank! Like you, I had been to the UK many times - even lived there twice, 8 months at a time - but had never hunted there. And after roe deer and muntjac, there's still red deer, fallow deer, and sika. Not to mention pheasants, grouse, wildfowl...

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Easy, they might use you Okies for Fox hunt...as a fox

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this trip, Hannay, great pictures. May be heading there next fall and hope to try to connect on a roe deer: you've provided motivation!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report. Would love to do roe, CWD and muntjac in the UK.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Great report. Would love to do roe, CWD and muntjac in the UK.

We’re waiting for you! Cool

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin375
posted Hide Post
Great report Wink
I hunted with Alex in 2015 and 2016. I had an excellent time with him and I also had a full success with hunting Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hannay:

Thanks for the great report and pictures.
Really caught my attention with the red
fox and munti.

Funny thing, I have a muntjac skull here that had the bottom jaw shot to pieces. And a red fox skull with a good lower jaw.
Amazing: the fox jaw fits perfectly in the muntjac's upper. Can't tell it's not legit.

Glad you had the chance to hunt them. Take care of those fangs, they're fragile.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
All: Thanks for the comments.

George: Funny that the fox jaw fits so well in the muntjac skull! As it turns out, the muntjac had already damaged one of his fangs. His right fang is broken off about halfway. You can kind of see this in this photo:

image hosting free