Find
Notify
Tools

Abschuss Bock / Management buck.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Out yesterday evening hoping for a pig in the potatoe and corn fields in the new section of our concession. Spotted a fox and squeaked him in, then I saw this young buck. I did not hesitate and dropped him with my .275 Rigby shooting factory 139 grain Hornady SSTs. A good cull / management buck to take off. Interesting that he is still in velvet when he should have been clean and shed weeks ago! Weighed 9 kgs. In total 11 roe deer seen between 8 pm and 10 pm. Sat til 2 am but no boar! Happy days!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A poor looking buck - even for last years - I've shot a few (hundred) myself!!

Was he OK on gralloching?

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

No parasites, hooves clean, head, eyes, ears, mouth all ok. Liver spotless, lungs fine, spleen, kidneys all fine. Thinking maybe a young Peruckenbock and some damage to his reproductive bits? Although nothing visible.

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil!

Nice one to take.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

No parasites, hooves clean, head, eyes, ears, mouth all ok. Liver spotless, lungs fine, spleen, kidneys all fine. Thinking maybe a young Peruckenbock and some damage to his reproductive bits? Although nothing visible.

Yes, seems the most likely explanation considering everything else you have checked off.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you cut through the skull, for preparing the trophy, it is highly probable that you find a plenty of fly larves.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

No larva at all in the nasal passages. Checked that !

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil, interesting. Agree possible Peruckenbock, or he was born awfully late last year.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
Waidmannsheil, interesting. Agree possible Peruckenbock, or he was born awfully late last year.

Never really happens - Roe have delayed blastocyte implantation - so all the eggs become implanted within 2 days at the end of January - and all kids are born in a similarly short period. A very good survival strategy - too much food for foxes to get more than a small percentage.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote