THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    I want one! Gerber kick Axe. folding hatchet.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want one! Gerber kick Axe. folding hatchet.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
A folding "Pocket" hatchet... I want one!!!

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/338

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a light duty gimmic to me.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There should be an Uzi in the middle of that thing Smiler

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Woodsmans Pal.

It has been made since the 1940's.

Actually when backpacking I have never carried any type of axe, never needed one.

If I planned on living in the wilderness for a long period of time, I would want a good wood saw, and a double bitted axe.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always carry a hatchet its a very useful thing to have . breaking pelvises, briskets. building blinds ect....... If it was sturdy enough it would be quite handy to throw in a day pack.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a French submachine gun. Big Grin
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE,

I would suggest not turning one's back on someone carrying one of those gimmick toys; might have to have your head sewed back on for the funeral.

Ever seen the Case Bowies from the sixties? One of the guys in my Ranger Company cut some poor dink's head clean off with one swipe of sunny afternoon in the Au Shau Valley in 1971.

Rich
blades are very handy, the sight of their own blood makes most people puke all over themselves.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Gerber Pax axe (sp) that is quite portable and serviceable but I rarely carry it when backpacking - usually carry it when hunting big game.

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
A folding "Pocket" hatchet... I want one!!!

Oh look, a hatchet with a hinge in the middle, what could go wrong? Roll Eyes

How about a Marbles Safety Axe instead?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kolob10:
I have a Gerber Pax axe (sp) that is quite portable and serviceable but I rarely carry it when backpacking - usually carry it when hunting big game.
+1

Same here. We take it to deer camp or when car or canoe camping but it's a little much to carry all day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh look, a hatchet with a hinge in the middle, what could go wrong?
Eeker

My thoughts too.

A potential Darwin Award here, I think

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not good, Gerber quit making them. They may of never made them in the first place.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6589 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'd buy one just just to keep as a collector's item. It's one of the all time best "WTF were they thinking?" items.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever seen the Case Bowies from the sixties? One of the guys in my Ranger Company cut some poor dink's head clean off with one swipe of sunny afternoon in the Au Shau Valley in 1971.

Idaho S, add 10 yrs to that date and this ranger and others carried those same bowies in raids in South American drug wars! Very handy all purpose knives indeed!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have this one in my jeep, it is flat and out of the way ready when necessary. Hibben Axe It fits in the back pack nicely too.

For more serious work I found Czech military/pioneer axe and after refitting it with home made laminated hickory handle I am very happy with it. I never got used to framing hammer, it is always axe for me for nailing and such and this axe is the right size for it. I keep it in the jeep during winter for emergencies.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That thing looks to me like an accident waiting to happen.

I've had a Masai long knife strapped to the outside of my possibles bag for about 15 years now and although they look awkward, once you know how to use 'em, they're a lot easier and more effective to use than any hand axe I've ever used. Length is usually about 21 inches overall with a blade length of about 15 inches.

They're made out of old car suspension springs so you could easily make one yourself.

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
http://www.coldsteel.com/gurkhakukri.html

This is what I use. The Cold Steel Kukri

This can quarter up a moose, or cut up a fallen tree and make camp fire wood better than any axe.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Keep watching on Ebay adn I am sure one will surface....

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Well the idea of something that can fit into a pocket with that much whomp is a good idea but maybe the design is bad. My Gerber backpaxe (small hatchet) is a must carry when I go camping It replaces a large knife most trips.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
They're made out of old car suspension springs so you could easily make one yourself.

a famous texas sword maker, who's name i won't use as forknowledge that i'd be sued, used to use OCS steel for his blades ... bit of a short cut, and they do warp back to curved, if not retempered ...

OCS?
Old Chevy Springs ... and wicked nice swords

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38356 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote