THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    The Ultimate Safari 2-Rifle Battery?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Ultimate Safari 2-Rifle Battery? Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
For further inspiration: tu2

quote:
Originally posted by JORGE01:
Here is a pretty good short SciFi story dealing with the subject: A Gun for Dinosaur

http://hell.pl/szymon/Baen/The...n/0743498747___8.htm

Read and enjoy.

"The Ultimate 2-Rifle Safari Battery?" thread title is now scrambled to:

The Ultimate Safari 2-Rifle Battery?

A trifling rearrangement of the same words, but now the emphasis is on the Ultimate Safari, and secondarily what two rifles might be selected for this.

This allows fantasy about time-travel for prehistoric mammals and dinosaurs and travel to other worlds to hunt E.T.
with internal-combustion-engined firearms or rayguns.

Or just stay in the here and now, or the closer there and then (accompany TR in 1909?) with your choices of Ultimate Safari 2-rifle battery.

I am going to have to break out the Iron WaterBoard Buffalo and test some dinosaur bullets for my selections.
Surely the transport technology will permit two rifles per hunter.
On such expeditions a backup is a good idea, for both the hunter and PH.
Absolutely essential if self-guided.
space
.... ... .. .Rip

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

This allows fantasy about time-travel for prehistoric mammals and dinosaurs ...

My previous choice of 505Gibbs and 577NE should cover T-rex animal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

This allows fantasy about time-travel for prehistoric mammals and dinosaurs ...

My previous choice of 505Gibbs and 577NE should cover T-rex animal

PD999,

I do blame your choice for inspiring the turn to fantasy dinosaur hunting.

I will need to gear-up for this with a wildcat to out-do the 500 Mbogo a bit.
Yet knowing my limitations, .510-caliber is tops for me and for all-around versatility.
I can only enlarge the brass case ...

Either
A .510/.505 Gibbs, aka the "500 Dinosaur"
or the similar .510/.408 Chey-Tac, aka the "500 Shy-Tyrannosaurus."
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will need to gear-up for this with a wildcat to out-do the 500 Mbogo a bit.
Yet knowing my limitations, .510-caliber is tops for me and for all-around versatility.

It was considering "limitations" around the Mbogo that led me to the 500 AccRel (the Nyati throat was a different matter). Did I want to poke every animal I invited to dinner with an 8500ft# launch? I decided that 7000ft# would be a workable ceiling as my personal limitation.

For example, my current 500 loads here in TZ are the 450gn GSC at 2600fps. That produces 6750 ft# at the muzzle. It is virtually and functionally the equivalent to the loaded-down Mbogo of 450GSC at 2654fps. As for limitations, I don't consider it healthy to do all one's hunting and shooting at 8000ft#. Maybe I would change my tune in a Jurrasic time machine. But in modern forests, with buffalo involved, I am happy at 6000-7000 as a practical limit. It was no problem dropping that impala with a 6200ft# 416 two years ago (last local licenses available).

blood went everywhere and pieces of the heart were found on the ground. When skinned we had to ask "Where's the heart?"

I am OK using a hot 416 Rigby on everything, at least this side of 70. But around this level of recoil is where I draw a line. A hundred or several hundred shots a year at a heavier load might induce Baker-itis. (Baker was a 19-th century explorer that used a 4-bore and became dinghy/demented in his old age. Sample of one, but maybe related to the CTE phenomenon of football players [chronic traumatic encephalopathy].)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe instead of another wildcat, I better make "a dinosaur gun" out of a 500 Jeffery as my backup rifle.
This is my fantasy, afterall.
Chuck Norris is going along as PH, back to the time before he ate all the dinosaurs, the real cause of the great extinction.
The Ultimate Safari.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Chuck Norris two gun safari?
Right foot
Left foot
http://youtu.be/E6UTz_Doic8

For some, the left testicle is larger than the right one. For Chuck Norris, each testicle is larger than the other one.
When taking the SAT, write "Chuck Norris" for every answer. You will score a 1600.
Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.
When you're Chuck Norris, anything + anything is equal to 1. One roundhouse kick to the face.
Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game UNO.
On his birthday, Chuck Norris randomly selects one lucky child to be thrown into the sun.
Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee. Except Chuck Norris.
Chuck Norris doesn't throw up if he drinks too much. Chuck Norris throws down!
In the beginning there was nothing...then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked that nothing in the face and said "Get a job". That is the story of the universe.
Chuck Norris has 12 moons. One of those moons is the Earth.
Chuck Norris grinds his coffee with his teeth and boils the water with his own rage.
Archeologists unearthed an old English dictionary dating back to the year 1236. It defined "victim" as "one who has encountered Chuck Norris"
Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one.
Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building.
If you Google search "Chuck Norris getting his ass kicked" you will generate zero results. It just doesn't happen.
Chuck Norris doesn't bowl strikes, he just knocks down one pin and the other nine faint.
The show Survivor had the original premise of putting people on an island with Chuck Norris. there were no survivors and the pilot episode tape has been burned.
Chuck Norris brings the noise AND the funk.
You know how they say if you die in your dream then you will die in real life? In actuality, if you dream of death then Chuck Norris will find you and kill you.
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
When Chuck Norris is in a crowded area, he doesn't walk around people. He walks through them
James Cameron wanted Chuck Norris to play the Terminator. However, upon reflection, he realized that would have turned his movie into a documentary, so he went with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Chuck Norris can touch MC Hammer.
Little known medical fact: Chuck Norris invented the Caesarean section when he roundhouse-kicked his way out of his mother’s womb.
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.
Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried. Ever.
Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.
If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Chuck Norris has counted to infinity. Twice.
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting implies the probability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Chuck Norris doesn’t wash his clothes, he disembowels them.
Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a f***ing Indian.
In fine print on the last page of the Guinness Book of World Records it notes that all world records are held by Chuck Norris, and those listed in the book are simply the closest anyone else has ever gotten.
There is no chin behind Chuck Norris' beard. There is only another fist.
Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked someone so hard that his foot broke the speed of light, went back in time, and killed Amelia Earhart while she was flying over thePacific Ocean.
Crop circles are Chuck Norris' way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie the f*** down.
The quickest way to a man's heart is with Chuck Norris' fist.
A Handicap parking sign does not signify that this spot is for handicapped people. It is actually in fact a warning, that the spot belongs to Chuck Norris and that you will be handicapped if you park there.
Chuck Norris will attain statehood in 2009. His state flower will be the Magnolia.
Nagasaki never had a bomb dropped on it. Chuck Norris jumped out of a plane and punched the ground.
Chuck Norris originally appeared in the "Street Fighter II" video game, but was removed by Beta Testers because every button caused him to do a roundhouse kick. When asked bout this "glitch," Norris replied, "That's no glitch."
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodge ball Chuck Norris played in second grade.
Chuck Norris once shot down a German fighter plane with his finger, by yelling, "Bang!"
Chuck Norris once bet NASA he could survive re-entry without a spacesuit. On July 19th, 1999, a naked Chuck Norris re-entered the earth's atmosphere, streaking over 14 states and reaching a temperature of 3000 degrees. An embarrassed NASA publicly claimed it was a meteor, and still owes him a beer.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Chuck Norris two gun safari?
Right foot
Left foot
http://youtu.be/E6UTz_Doic8

For some, the left testicle is larger than the right one. For Chuck Norris, each testicle is larger than the other one.
When taking the SAT, write "Chuck Norris" for every answer. You will score a 1600.
Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.
When you're Chuck Norris, anything + anything is equal to 1. One roundhouse kick to the face.
Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game UNO.
On his birthday, Chuck Norris randomly selects one lucky child to be thrown into the sun.
Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee. Except Chuck Norris.
Chuck Norris doesn't throw up if he drinks too much. Chuck Norris throws down!
In the beginning there was nothing...then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked that nothing in the face and said "Get a job". That is the story of the universe.
Chuck Norris has 12 moons. One of those moons is the Earth.
Chuck Norris grinds his coffee with his teeth and boils the water with his own rage.
Archeologists unearthed an old English dictionary dating back to the year 1236. It defined "victim" as "one who has encountered Chuck Norris"
Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one.
Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building.
If you Google search "Chuck Norris getting his ass kicked" you will generate zero results. It just doesn't happen.
Chuck Norris doesn't bowl strikes, he just knocks down one pin and the other nine faint.
The show Survivor had the original premise of putting people on an island with Chuck Norris. there were no survivors and the pilot episode tape has been burned.
Chuck Norris brings the noise AND the funk.
You know how they say if you die in your dream then you will die in real life? In actuality, if you dream of death then Chuck Norris will find you and kill you.
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
When Chuck Norris is in a crowded area, he doesn't walk around people. He walks through them
James Cameron wanted Chuck Norris to play the Terminator. However, upon reflection, he realized that would have turned his movie into a documentary, so he went with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Chuck Norris can touch MC Hammer.
Little known medical fact: Chuck Norris invented the Caesarean section when he roundhouse-kicked his way out of his mother’s womb.
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.
Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried. Ever.
Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.
If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Chuck Norris has counted to infinity. Twice.
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting implies the probability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Chuck Norris doesn’t wash his clothes, he disembowels them.
Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a f***ing Indian.
In fine print on the last page of the Guinness Book of World Records it notes that all world records are held by Chuck Norris, and those listed in the book are simply the closest anyone else has ever gotten.
There is no chin behind Chuck Norris' beard. There is only another fist.
Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked someone so hard that his foot broke the speed of light, went back in time, and killed Amelia Earhart while she was flying over thePacific Ocean.
Crop circles are Chuck Norris' way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie the f*** down.
The quickest way to a man's heart is with Chuck Norris' fist.
A Handicap parking sign does not signify that this spot is for handicapped people. It is actually in fact a warning, that the spot belongs to Chuck Norris and that you will be handicapped if you park there.
Chuck Norris will attain statehood in 2009. His state flower will be the Magnolia.
Nagasaki never had a bomb dropped on it. Chuck Norris jumped out of a plane and punched the ground.
Chuck Norris originally appeared in the "Street Fighter II" video game, but was removed by Beta Testers because every button caused him to do a roundhouse kick. When asked bout this "glitch," Norris replied, "That's no glitch."
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodge ball Chuck Norris played in second grade.
Chuck Norris once shot down a German fighter plane with his finger, by yelling, "Bang!"
Chuck Norris once bet NASA he could survive re-entry without a spacesuit. On July 19th, 1999, a naked Chuck Norris re-entered the earth's atmosphere, streaking over 14 states and reaching a temperature of 3000 degrees. An embarrassed NASA publicly claimed it was a meteor, and still owes him a beer.

ROFLMAO! animal
Thanks Boomy!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Rusty,

I liked the last one best, about NASA still owing Meteorite Chuck a beer. animal

Yep, a "500 Jeffery Dinosaur" (non-CIP throat and special bullets) will be my primary, with 500 Mbogo as backup, for the Ultimate Safari.
A man has got to know his limitations.

PH Chuck Norris will be using his right roundhouse kick as primary.
His left is backup.

Thus, no effective ammo limits for me on time-travel transport,
and Chuck can carry the 500 Mbogo, PH as gunbearer.
Hell, he could carry anything, no sweat, unlimited ammo supply too.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Possible 500 Jeffery Chuck Gun configuration:

It needs to be right-handed if Chuck Norris is going to carry it for me as my gunbearer, guide, PH, bodyguard, and roundhouse-kicking mule.
A PH must be a veritable jackalope of all trades.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robgunbuilder's 12GaFH Double Rifle as backup for the 500 Jeffery Chuck Gun?

Now there is an Ultimate Safari 2-Rifle Battery.
Load the 500 Jeffery Chuck Gun with 570-grain brass FN solid at +2500 fps,
and load that 12 Gauge From Hell double rifle with 1200-grain brass FN solids at +2000 fps,
or whatever all elements will bear.

Yep, revised my picks, this is my ultimate plains game and stopping rifle combo.
Now, in preparation for "back to the past," I need to test those two in the IWBB and see which penetrates best.

If the .510/570-grainer at +2500 fps outdoes the .730/1200-grainer at +2000 fps,
I will scrap the 12GaFH DR idea.
Testing it first with my single-shot rifle in 12GaFH might save me some time, trouble, and money.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
These guys have some good ideas regarding the Ultimate Safari 2-Rifle Battery:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/bl...her-extinct-reptiles

I'll stick to the 525gr .505 Gibbs and 750gr .577 NE; they 'should' do the trick! Cool

Plus 'Chuck' as gun-bearer hilbily

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

one of us
posted Hide Post
PD999,

Thanks for that link.
https://www.outdoorlife.com/bl...her-extinct-reptiles

40 feet long, 13 feet high at the hip, 6 tons, able to do 25 mph, some say as much as 45 mph in a charge!

Have to agree with Mr. Snow on T.rex, that taking out a rear leg at the hip or knee with a solid is a good idea.
It will go down, then start pumping solids into the vitals, heart, lungs, spine, maybe get lucky and find the brain.
At least try a shot at the dinosaur dome.
Aim for the vertex of a pyramid, with eyeholes and earholes at each corner of the base of the pyramid, roughly.
Yep, might take some practice.

So, Mr. Snow thinks .458 Lott is where it starts,
and that means a .458 WinMag Longclaw 3.6" or 3.8" will do even better. Big Grin

He gave no shrift at all to the bore rifles. He obviously needs to be educated on the fully-rifled 12 Gauge from Hell,
no mere "shotgun not worth spit," it is more powerful than a 700 NE.

He topped out with the 470 NE or 500 NE Merkel as adequate?
A man has got to know his limitations, I reckon.
Your 577 NE would be better, of course.
All with GSC FN, North Fork FP, or CEB Safari Solid.

The sequels to Jurassic Park have gone downhill since the Butch Searcy 600 NE double rifle.
Jumped the shark!
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yikes!
What if a T. rex can hop about on one hind leg?
Better make it a double knee-capper or double hipshot!
More reason for a double rifle and faultless feeding in a bolt action!

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP for posting those pictures of the dinos; I think we now need a new version of Kevin Robertson's book: "The Perfect Shot - Dinosaur Edition" Big Grin

Quite by chance, I am right now watching a re-run of "How To Build A Dinosaur" on the BBC; maybe it's available on PBS? Here's a clip found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FXf77pqis

one of us
posted Hide Post
yuck

THE PERFECT SHOT - DINOSAUR EDITION animal
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
My two gun choice for T-Rex
http://youtu.be/T6_TGFJZW-U
http://youtu.be/3Io96sA63Wo

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,
I was assigned to a C-130 squadron when I was AD USAF in Alaska.
I draw the line here.
"An AC-130 Spectre for Dinosaur" just would not be sporting.
I like your pick of the A-10 Warthog.
Now there is some sport!
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I passed on my one and only T-Rex when the PH told me the trophy fee!!! shame

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
For a tyrannosaur, I'd take a .30 cal flintlock and my NA Arms .22 LR mini revolver for backup. Always carry enough gun!!!

If I could resurrect my grandma's Chihuahua, I'd just take it. She had the neighbor's dogs terrified! It was kinda like the old cartoons with the mouse scaring the elephant! animal

Posts: 338 | Location: montana | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

And Atkinson was able to do it before the invention of time travel,
because he was born in the late-Mesozoic.
The rest of us can only dream ...

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post

I'll also be happy to take Van Pelt's rifle (from the film Jumanji starring the late Robin Williams) Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

yuck

Ray,

Should have just settled for some wingshooting, but I can't quote you Pterodactyl daily rates or daily bag limits either...

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Van Pelt (Jonathan Hyde, in a dual role) initially comes out of the game with a modified Winchester M1901 Shotgun rifle, but runs out of ammunition, which cannot be replenished since it hasn't been manufactured since 1903. The shotgun has been modified with a custom stock, a false box magazine and a large tube placed over the barrel in order to make it appear to be a large caliber elephant gun."

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Jumanji

Not the most rugged of iron sights on Van Pelt's fancifully modified M1901 Winchester shotgun-rifle.
But I do like his helmet.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
The 300 and 375 H&H magnums will serve my hunting needs well, and with a little class.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You forgot.

“Chuck Norris can gargle peanut butter”

Chuck once pissed in the fuel tank of an over the road truck. That truck is now known as Optimus Prime.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nothing like resurrecting a very dead 5 year old thread. Roll Eyes

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote