THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 66 67 68 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
I am taking a HUGE RISK HERE with this post........ I am quite certain I will be accused of all sorts of things after this........ What the hell.......

I need to have a BULLET SALE.............

I am way overstocked with a few items, and I need to make some ROOM for some new bullets that are coming in......

What I have and need to move to make some room........

.474 caliber

These are the Old Style North Fork Solids, old Nose Profile, 68% meplat, while these were designed for the 475 B&M and the 475 B&M Super Short, they should do well in most any .474 caliber rifle.....

375 gr and 425 gr.........

How about a $1 each?

.500 caliber... Lots of .500 caliber B&Ms out there.... North Fork Solids

Some Old Style Nose Profiles 68% Meplat...... both 375 and 450 gr......

Some New Nose Profile 68% Meplats... Both 375 and 450 gr.......

Same deal $1 each...... Gotta go, gotta make room.............

If you B&M guys are interested drop me a note and tell me how many you want, will get them on the way to
you...

I put this here instead of classified because of mostly being designed for the B&Ms....?????

Michael
Yep, likely the best place to post them.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
450NE, our Pal over in TN has been at it again.... He is busting Water Jugs at 400 Yards with his 18 inch 458 B&M, shooting the 250 Socoms........... He sent me one of his targets this morning, thought I might share it with you..... This would be ok for 100 yards eh? It would be pretty damn good for 200 yard eh? This target, these three rounds, are 300 Yards..... Not to shabby for a little short 18 inch gun...................

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
450NE, our Pal over in TN has been at it again.... He is busting Water Jugs at 400 Yards with his 18 inch 458 B&M, shooting the 250 Socoms........... He sent me one of his targets this morning, thought I might share it with you..... This would be ok for 100 yards eh? It would be pretty damn good for 200 yard eh? This target, these three rounds, are 300 Yards..... Not to shabby for a little short 18 inch gun...................

Told you the little B&Ms were fun shooten at 300yds or so...darn accurate also! Wink

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Congrats Andy… Beautiful blond bear taken in New Mexico yesterday… tu2

Just got off the phone with him, awesome performance from the .225gr .416 335gr .500 Talon Tipped Raptor!

Anymore must come from Andy… Cool

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jim... Me too, talked to Andy a little while ago, he is still on the road... But he had the 500 not the 416... LOL......... 335 Talon tipped .500..... 2800 fps.... Yes, we will let Andy tell the rest, but one small thing, when they opened up the bear, there was NO HEART.......... At least, not a piece big enough to identify as such.......... shocker

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, I did some load testing today with the 500 MDM. I stopped after 10 rounds...it's pretty brutal without a stock on it :-)

Posts: 20067 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Michael, I did some load testing today with the 500 MDM. I stopped after 10 rounds...it's pretty brutal without a stock on it :-)

Ya Think.........

LOL.....................

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Wonder where OUR stocks are?????

Crap, I have to find another 500 MDM to put my new stock on??? I have a good 20 inch gun here that was supposed to go to Zimbabwe... But maybe it won't??????

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
OH..... Big news... Almost forgot....... After Hornady dicked us around for 18 months, we finally got 50 B&M Alaskan Dies in, at least 1/2 the order.............

Ordered another 50 sets of dies last week, various cartridges, right now we have most all, getting short 416 B&M Dies and 50 Super Short...... part of last weeks order again......

Just FYI.....
M

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim... Me too, talked to Andy a little while ago, he is still on the road... But he had the 500 not the 416... LOL......... 335 Talon tipped .500..... 2800 fps.... Yes, we will let Andy tell the rest, but one small thing, when they opened up the bear, there was NO HEART.......... At least, not a piece big enough to identify as such.......... shocker
homer homer homer Yeah I knew that; worth a double triple homer on my part...

Yep, nothing but bloody soup... shocker

To bad those sheared petals (blades) don't do anything... I know 'cause Terry WeeWee said they don't... animal

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
quote:
homer homer Yeah I knew that; worth a double homer on my part...

Yep, nothing but bloody soup... shocker

To bad those sheared petals (blades) don't do anything... I know 'cause Terry WeeWee said they don't... animal

Yeah, he wrote a book eh? I reckon if you "writ" it in a book, then it has to be so.......

rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, he wrote a book eh? I reckon if you "writ" it in a book, then it has to be so.......
tu2

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim... Me too, talked to Andy a little while ago, he is still on the road... But he had the 500 not the 416... LOL......... 335 Talon tipped .500..... 2800 fps.... Yes, we will let Andy tell the rest...

Yes, the 500MDM worked great. I put pictures of the wounds on the terminal ballistics thread up top.

One thing to note. Everyone at camp including the guides were afraid of the recoil of the 500MDM. Retina separating was even mentioned. Well, after we were done with skinning the bear I let the guides shoot the 500MDM.

Reactions were very interesting. "Wow, this has almost no recoil, it is just a push." "My 30-06 kicks harder".

Much kudos to Accurate Innovations for their stock design.

Me? With my attention being on the particular spot on the bear, I didn't even feel the push. Smiler.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot the 50 B&M on Friday night. Nice riffle to shoot really a bit of pussy cat but we only loaded up the 335gn pills to start with. Using the ADI 2207 powder as a substitute for the 4198 load data that Michael developed. Started at 72 gn up to 75gn only 10 rounds it was what we had for the night no pressure signs so will take up to 78 or 79gn next. We had a few rifles that night 460wby with 400gn 378wby and 416 rigby and a few others. The 50B&M was well regarded it was shot with the Winchester stock recoil seemed to be around 375 to 416 level didnt really seem much of a difference with the 416 rigby we had in Ruger No 1. I can see this being one of my fav rifles to go for. Most people remarked on the compact and lightness of it. And I said yes thats the whole point of the rifle.

Posts: 32 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
shauno50...

That is good news indeed....... As Tanks mentioned above, recoil is never as severe as
the imagination leads it to be........ Sometimes a bit of a surprise to most.

I think you are going to enjoy that rifle, and it will serve you well for many years to come.

Thanks for the update and do keep us posted..........

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I have a soft spot for the 50 B&M paired with the 416 B&M - love shooting them...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished modifying a used right hand Winchester Ultimate Camo stock to left hand for my 458 B&M. I just didn't have 100% confidence in the factory wood stock, even though it was glass bedded by SSK IND.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures during the process of doing it.

I did use a piece of aluminum to fill the bolt slot on the right side gluing it in place with JB Weld. Using a die grinder with a 1/4" carbide cutter to create the new slot for the bolt on the left side. After getting a 1/16" clearance for bolt operation I bedded the front and rear of the action to just in front of the bolt slot. Then adding a piece of .032" aluminum to block the hole under the bolt to stop dirt from getting into upper trigger parts.

It's not good looking now but a new coat of hydro-dip should make it a good all weather working gun.

Michael...I've found a good load using IMR-4198 with the 258 GR. FB Raptor getting just over 2780 FPS...a plus to the load is using Hornady Mono-Flex 250 GR. bullets they shoot the same out to 200 yards

Posts: 423 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Nice work CW.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Michael

Have any of your super shorts been built on Browning ABolts ???

Quiet a few 223 & 243 wssm heavy barrel ABolts turning up with shot out barrels

Reg S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShortandFat:
Michael

Have any of your super shorts been built on Browning ABolts ???

Quiet a few 223 & 243 wssm heavy barrel ABolts turning up with shot out barrels

Reg S&F
I don't recollect Michael discussing Browning A-Bolts being used for any B&M cartridges - primarily because they're PF rifles.

I do recollect a Remington M7 being used - I believe - for the 50 B&M SA. References to the two B&M SA cartridges - .458 and .500 calibers - seem to have been removed from the B&M website. Anyway, the were developed for the DPMS semi-auto rifle factory chambered for the 300 RSAUM - hence the SA tag - and they maintain the 2.0" RSAUM case length. I prefer to refer to these as the B&M Short [b]A]/b]ction cartridges principally as they're perfect for use in all SA based rifles whereas the standard B&M are designed for the M70 Winchester WSM action length with it's almost 3.10" magazine length.

Using a push feed rifle eliminates the CRF claw extractor for primary head spacing of the straight case .50 B&M SS, SA, and the secondary head spacing on the mouth becomes the only means of maintains head space. For this reason one of the bottleneck B&M cartridges would be recommended - in your case either the .458 or .475 B&M SS for the A-Bolt.

I recommend you PM Michael directly to discuss this - assuredly he'll grump about using a push feed action... Wink

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Came back from a Zimbabwe hunt last week. I shot two elephants, and two zebras. The elephants were shot with the 500MDM, and the zebras with the 416 B&M. Both rifles performed perfectly. I was using 500gr CEB solids in the 500 MDM at 2350fps, and 225gr tipped CEB raptors in the 416 B&M at 2950fps. Again, kudos to Accurate innovations. The PH fired both rifles and his response was that 500MDM pushed like a 375H&H, and the 416B&M felt like a .308 Win. In a conversation he said he had no interest moving to .500 caliber from his 458 Lott, but if he were he'd want the 500MDM. His other comment was that he wished all his clients that brought big bores had well designed stocks so they could handle the recoil of their guns.

Here are the pics.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Congradulations on a successful hunt Andy. Great pictures!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim

any thoughts on the 458 gas check in the 458 B&M SS?

I like gs lead for fun loads in my 416 and think this might make a neat play/pig load at @2000 fps---if the GS will do that without leading.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Sean,

I've not thought about that and truthfully have never used GC bullets. The only way to know for sure would be to try it.

You might PM DWright for his prospective; I know he uses GC bullets in his 45-70.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great Tanks! Aren't elephant fun!

Posts: 2827 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome. I so love hunting elephants and the 500 MDM is great medicine for elephants. I am not sure the recoil is the same as a 375, but for sure it is manageable.
Congrats on the hunt

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tanks

Absolutely superb

congratulations

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Wow Tanks.... Big Congratulations on a successful trip! Of course, no doubt, it pleases me greatly that your rifles, cartridge, and of course the bullets performed as you say "Perfectly".............

Wes will be very happy to hear that his contribution to the B&Ms are not only looking great, but working like they are supposed to....... Stock design is all part of the equation........

The 500 MDM is chalking up a great reputation, but not just the cartridge/rifle, never forget the bullet...........

It is really great to see everything come together, and work as it was designed to work, thanks for sharing, and congratulations again...........

Michael

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
That's great Tanks! Aren't elephant fun!

Yep, I am addicted. Already planning next year's hunt for a trophy elephant bull and a lion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
For you guys that really like hunting elephants, take a look at this...........

Stan got his 500 MDM a couple of years ago, and has been putting it to very good use on elephants. I don't know just how many he has taken with his 500 MDM, but I think it is a lot. He sent photos of a big bull he took with his 500 MDM a few weeks ago.

This is a 90 lb elephant............Very big bull.... Stan also uses the 500 gr #13 Solid.........

I'd say the 500 MDM makes for a pretty good elephant rifle..........

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Wow, those tusks are amazing.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
How about this for a MOOSE?????..............

450NE took this moose with his 18" 458 B&M outfitted Alaskan style with Ultimate stock........ Using 250 Socom at 2900 fps........... The second photo this rifle looks TINY next to this big moose...........

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Very nice moose! Scope cover looks almost larger than the rifle... lol

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael didn't tell you that the 250 gr Socom bullet excited from a 200 yard shot and blades were found in the off side. Non Conventional!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Michael didn't tell you that the 250 gr Socom bullet excited from a 200 yard shot and blades were found in the off side. Non Conventional!

Damn!
Big critters for sure.
Any idea what the impact velocity was on the moose?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote