THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Another 470 Mbogo Penetration test - Swift Aframe (Video..long!)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another 470 Mbogo Penetration test - Swift Aframe (Video..long!) Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Here is another penetration test. This time with a 500gr Swift A-frame. They had been whistling through the buffalo for the most part, so we thought we'd try shooting for bone...scapula/spine...to see if it would be OK for a "herd" situation. The buff actually did stop the bullet this time....see for yourself!...

Swift A-frame penetration test vid....DIAL UP WARNING...9.4MB...

Enjoy!
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the A-Frames easy to expand? I'm just wondering if the toughness comes from being "hard".
They look good!!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
They are about the best soft point, non monometal,
bullet out there. They open up and hold together as well on deer as they do on Cape Buffalo.
Best of the season,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Another excellent video...

Gotta love those A-frames. Like I said... do they ever fail... Smiler

When are we going to see a full report? Smiler

Merry Christmas.
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
When are we going to see a full report?

I am gettin around to it! Smiler I am a terribly slow writer when it comes to stories/reports. Guess I do to much technical writing at work...just turns me off writing after hours!

Got a few days off between now and Jan 2...hoping to get it done by then!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
exellent video Canuck, hmm .Swift in my . ruger nr 1 in .450 NE will be next on the project list

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Very impressive the way the impact rocked the carcass. That was a lot of energy transfer to move that much dead weight. Great video!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was a lot of energy transfer to move that much dead weight.

About 7000 ft-lbs at the muzzle! Smiler Big Grin

Thanks for the compliments!

Cheers,
Canuck

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Awesome Chris...
Heh, and, wow, it's didn't flip it back over an into the next county!!! WOW... and we'd always heard "you'll blow it up" on big bores.

Dave designed the perfect hunter heavy, and here it is!

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
el jeffe, kinda makes one want to travel with the 550 Express, eh?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nah, heh, i am perfectly happy shooting "scrawny" texas hogs .... if you are dumb enough (like I was) to hit one in the shoulder with a hawk bullet... likely you'd have the same results.... no off leg attached, no kidding.

but, I am telling you, Dave and (the other) Chris are crackerjack shots with the mbogo.... though canuck hides from the heat of texas winters Smiler

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
canuck...

not very sporting of you to shoot a sleeping buff Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
.... though canuck hides from the heat of texas winters Smiler

jeffe

There is some truth to that...have you been talking to Saeed? Man, I suffered the first few days in Tanz! Big Grin

Ackshully, if'n you'd jest schedule yer gall-dern hunt (sorry, I've got Lonestar on in the background) for a month that is NOT Sept/Oct/Nov, my odds of making it to Texas would skyrocket. thumb

Cheers,
Canuck

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
canuck...

not very sporting of you to shoot a sleeping buff

Smiler

It was plenty sporting when I put him to sleep with another Bridger about 15 minutes earlier. Big Grin thumb Video clip of same coming soon.

Cheers,
Canuck