Find
Notify
Tools

.4 Bore Buffalo Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted
Posting these for SAFARIKID

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pal! MK Owen 4 Bore Double makes BIG Holes w/2000 gr JSP's on 2 Ole Buff Bulls!That is the ENTRANCE hole!...Also,my faithful gunbearer made carrying the 26 pound short cannon a breeze for me!Remember,use your head,not your back in life to get ahead! : )

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Hey S'Kid, is there any video of the buffs getting hit with the 4 bore?

It do punch big holes clap

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7STDUBBERU
posted Hide Post
SWEET MARY! That is some inpressive.

God Bless Our Troops

FU-AC

Posts: 192 | Location: New York | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
DAAAAAAAMN!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had an Owen muzzleloader barrel and breech floating around for 7 years now. These pictures make me want to finish it up. Very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's impressive! An entry hole that looks bigger than most exit holes!! After reading the 4-bore story in the DR forum, this photo put's it in perspective, on the killing power it posseses.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BOOM INCOMPARABLE DAMAGE!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari Kid'

That is one awsome looking rifle and what a hole. Congradulations on your hunt.I gotta get one of those 4 bores, what a BEAST!!!!

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
FUCKING CRAZY!!

I LOVE IT!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm somewhat new at this whole big bore business, so excuse the question.

Where do you find one of those things at? I want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Thanks for the great pics.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Nice squirrel rifle Kid, looks alot like the stuff we use in Texas. We don't shoot the squirrel, we shoot the tree out from under 'em.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick,
Butch Searcy and Ken Owen make them in the states. A whole lot of gun, a whole lot of money!!

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fellows interested in cases,
have been asking me to make some.
It will be later this winter.Good news
maybe.I just found out that Ken Owen
is supposed to be getting a bunch in
this winter from Horneber that he commissioned to be made. These are drawn cases.
Also Bertram is talking about doing a run
and I will get him specs for Ken and our
cases, they're the same. They will
be drawn cases also.They should be
priced right and ease the load on me
making all the drawn cases, a lot of work.
When they get here I will spread the word.Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man what a gun....if I could only hit the lottery.
Honestly, what are the specifications of the 4 bore? I am curious as to bore size, velocity, powder charge and type etc. The rounds look like they were loaded using 20MM cannon rounds.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eterry, I am told that in fact a Vulcan 20 MM piece of brass can be worked to be a 4 BORE brass.

Length basically stays at the 4 inch mark.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Safarikid! clap

What a mighty wallop that rifle must deliver.

At both ends!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eterry,
The Ken Owen 4-bore has 22" barrels and weighs 26 lbs. The bore diameter is a full 1". 2000 grain bullets at 1400 to 1500 ft/sec. Ken,s new 4 bore doubles are going close to $75,000 and have an 18 month lead time. TKO of a little over 400! I have a 24" bl, left handed one being made by Ken. But it has just been ordered and wont be in for awhile. It is one hell of a gun!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doggy, thanks for the info. From your post I conclude that the price of such a rifle is even more painful than the recoil.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, lets put it this way, it will sure last a hell of alot longer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken says he would like that one to be the
last one for him. He seems ready to retire.
He does good work. Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT STUFF!!!! CONGRATULATIONS ALL ROUND!!!! and thanks for sharing

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SafariK,

can you give us more details about the hunt? As in what distance were you when you took the shot, where did you hit the buff, was it a one shot kill, how did the animal react after the shot, etc?

It seems to me that you just needed to show the gun to the buff and he would fall over dead... Cool

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari

Some guys dream of doing, others just go out and do it!! Congrats!

You have broken the ice for the rest of us, hunting Africa with the 4-Bore and the 600 OK. Somehow the 600 Ok looks like a pussy cat next to the 4-Bore, Wink
Something wrong with this picture!

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys and yes,I had some dramatic results with both guns.I even nailed the Zebra at 139 yds and that must be a record for a 600?!The Warthog at 3o yds was literally lifted off his pigfeet!The Buff are alot tougher and some took more that one round.I was using softs in everything and some jackets did not hold up,so penetration was not as good in some as others,but internal damage was downright Nasty!I have 4 Bore.065 Jacketed Bonded Bullets now for the next trip and that should be really devastating.Will try them out in the next few months here in Ga and Tenn on some Huge Hogizzila's!Pics to follow upon there demise!

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post

WOW!!! makes the 550 look plum puny!!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After my post here I got out my Barnes cartridges of the world and it shows 4 bore at about 1.041". Thats gotta hurt!!

Safarikid, what kind of powder asnd how much does your beast use, and what kind of accuracy do you get? Will probably never own one but it very interesting.
Some day I will get my 416 Taylor out of the shop and get a chance to hunt locally, maybe even take it to the "Dark Continent".

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, that pic looks like the bullet was cut out of the buff? If this is true then the bullet was not a pass through?? At what distance was the shot taken?

Happy hunting!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
You are correct...The bullet you see was just under the skin 5ft back from the chest entrance!You are looking at only HALF of the bullet as I brought the wrong ones with me! Frowner This is the thin jacket .025 UNbonded vrs the right ones.065 BONDED which I mistakenly left home...so this now means I have to go back and shoot 3 more buff with the right ones next year!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
so this now means I have to go back and shoot 3 more buff with the right ones next year!

You poor suffering bastard! Wink Just make sure you take the right ones or you'll have to go back again! animal

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom

When you go back you will need take an independent adjudicator with you, preferably someone from another country Wink

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a double purpose truss for the gunbearer, to carry the load and to hold back the hernias. Wink

Did the warthog actually get lifted off his feet or did he just recoil/jump upward in pain from the bullet strike?

Did the buffalo move much at bullet strike? No knock down there?

That has got to hurt going in and ought to at least make them stumble a little on impact. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by KennethI:
Posting these for SAFARIKID

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Its really hard to say,but it looked like he was "surged" upward/backward a bit!Smiler...The Buff are so damn tuff,it pisses me off sometimes.I think I found the meanest one in all of Africa this time!I have taken 13 buff so far,none took over 2 shots and many 1 shot kills(all BIG Bores of Course!),but this Dang Nyati took 3 shoulder shots from the .600,2 SP's and 1 Solid all at 30yds or less within inchs of each other..There are so many variables that you can never predict what is going to happen when the "bullet hits the bone"!But,that being said,it is the reason he has earned and deserves the Nasty reputation!