New
Find
Notify
Tools

.577 NE Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
A friend is bringing a new Verney-Carron .577 NE to the range this Friday. Anything I should know before he asks me if I want to shoot it?

How much should one of these things weigh?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If proofed for the full house /750 bullet load, then 13.5 to 14.25#

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Holland & Holland site shows 14 lb 10 oz
as a guide for a new 577 Royal double.

http://www.hollandandholland.c..._royal_double_rifle/

Shooting this should get your attention! Perhaps you can report back.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
12 to 16 is the normal range
its GOING to kick BACK more than a "normal" double does .. PLEASE pull the rear trigger first, till you get used to it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38544 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Wink, the one I shot was about 13.5 lbs, Nonthing to worry about. Just hang on for a big slow shove. It is fun. More pleasent than shooting a 500 NE Merkel.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Make sure to get someone to get it on video to record your reaction then post here.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We shot two American with a Verney-Carron .577 NE, it does not kick very much,

Bison with .577

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are tough!

http://www.470mbogo.com/BigBoreCompendium/

Link above says too expect 100 ft-lbs recoil. Those 500J and 505Gibbs loads are way over factory. The recoil at 100ftlbs is comparable to 550mag and 20% over the 500NE.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I found the 577 shootable

In tall grass with buff or elephants a 577 double in my hands please.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found the 577 shootable

I never had the pleasure, but this sounds a reasonable stmt. The numbers indicate 20% over the 500NE. I have a 505, and with mere factory loads it does kick. Then, I am not much in upper body strength dept either.

I wish Hornady would offer 577NE ammo. Would sure make it easier for more of us to experience the big push. I think there would be more guns offered too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have fired a Verney Carron 577 and I own a Searcy 577 and find them fine for 10-20 rounds a day. Hold on tight with your front hand so you will be less likely to punch yourself in the face with your back hand and pull the back trigger first.

I tell people they don't kick too bad, and they don't, but I shoot them a lot. I was shooting my 458 win yesterday and was thinking it did not kick at all and the random guy who wanted to try thought one shot was too many. A 13 lb 577 is a lot more push than a 9 lb 458.

Hang on tight, enjoy the ride, and shoot it at least 6 times Smiler

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Matthew,
nice to hear from someone that actually has SHOT one, rather than blather one about them. Its a BIG shove .. and my experience is solely with the 577 searcy ... first at WAY too short an lop, then at decent .. 14# ... and as a crash test dummy to ACTUALY get to 2050 ... hint, the old ross/bell loads DO NOT WORK in bertram .. yes, its nice that you can get jamison/bell NOW, but 10 years ago, this was impossible ....

we shot and shot and shot until we finally made 2050 .. AFTER talking to Larry and Ross to get their loads .. in bertram brass, IT DIDN'T work .. 1900 TOPS .. that there's a huge difference between 1900 and 2050 in recoil on a 577 ...

of, for recoil? don't even THINK anything shot in a modern bolt gun will prepare you for the queen of doubles .. bolt guns come BACK then up .. the 577 just friggin GOES ... I've shoot the snot out of the various 550s, and only the full house 550 mag loads, in a 12# rifle, come close to the experience!

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 577 just GOES. My Searcy has 26" barrels and the Verney-Carron I shot has 24". They both have the same 14.5 LOP and weigh 13.5 lbs. I shot them side by side and found the shorter barrels rose much faster and put me farther out of battery than the 26" shooting the same loads. I was much faster on the second shot with the longer barreled Searcy.

Matthew

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
My 14# 2oz. Verney-Carron yields significantly less recoil than my 10.5# Heyms. My V-C has 25 5/8" barrels and handles very well.

I am so pleased with the gun that I have ordered a bespoke V-C .577 with lots of bells and whistles which I will not receive until 2011.

I have just listed my current V-C .577 on Gunsinternational for $15,950. Perhaps someone who is computer-smart enough could put the link up in my behalf.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Don:

I know that Biebs was looking/thinking about a .577. JudgeG mentioned that he is in Africa right now. You might shoot him a PM so he will be aware that your .577 is up for sale when he gets back. I wish I had the money. I would love to have it. Are you interested in a trade of any kind?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As some one who has a light weight 577 I can tell you that there is nothing to it. Just take 800 miligrams of motrin, a couple or darvocet and 10 milligrams of valium 30 minutes to 1 hour before range time. On arrival at your shooting spot start sipping on a little burbon on the rocks as you set up. Then just git after it! It's a hoot! just remember that as you fall down hold on to the gun and do not let it hit the ground Big Grin

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1228 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Thanks fourbore!

Dave, I told Biebs about the gun but he's fallen into big bore bolt trash at this time. Wink
Would consider trade up or down for British double. I would also layaway for 6 months with a reasonable deposit.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
The 577 while not a pussy cat is very managable. I had a Searcy at 13lb and 8oz that shot very well-- it had a bit of a clubby feel so I let it go. I'd like to own another someday but for a hunting gun somthing under 11 pounds seems to carry and handle better after long hot walks.

I will tell you a 122 grn of RE 15 and a 750 woodliegh would cross your eyes though.

I started off with a 577 double, my next double was a 470, The last double I ordered was a 9.75lb 450/400. I see a trend--dont you! Have fun pulling the trigger!!!!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, my load is 120 grains of R15 behind the 750 woodleigh or Barnes TSX. Lots of fun, with all this talk I think I will shoot it this evening.

Matthew

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .577NE built on a ruger No1 that weighs 12.5 lbs, with two mercury recoil reducers fitted. I load 750 grain bullets with 119gns of Reloader 15 and get a little over 2100 fps.

Even though my rifle is several lbs lighter than recomended the recoil is very tollerable for what it is. I don't know if the recoil reducers are helping here or not, as I have heard that they dont work whith real big bores. All I can say is hold the rifle firmly into your shoulder, and roll with the recoil and you will be fine.

Steve

Posts: 65 | Location: yarra valley Australia | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Verney Carron (Demas) 577NE and the first thing I did was take those heavy mercury recoil reducers out of the stock. 1 lb 12 ozs weight. The gun is now better balanced and feels much better in my hands. The recoil is not bad at all and have shot it off a bench quite a few times with no Past pad or anything to help with recoil. I much prefer shooting this gun to a heavy caliber bolt gun. My 358 STA kicks much worse, felt recoil!

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Soter:

I am so pleased with the gun that I have ordered a bespoke V-C .577 with lots of bells and whistles which I will not receive until 2011.

Don:

If you order a bespoke gun from VC, can you specify the weight and tell them what ammo you want it regulated with?

Guys, with the .577, will the larger RCBS loader work for loading. My buddy thought that I would have to buy a new loader if I got a .577.

I wish that Wayne had contiuned the .585 AHR. I can't really say why but I liked that cartridge somewhat better than the .600 OK, maybe because the case actually had a neck rather than just being straight.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Dave

Yes you can specify weight and ammo.

My bespoke V-C .500, ordered in September, due to ship next week dancing was ordered 11 1/2# to 12# regulated with Kynoch ammo.

My bespoke .577 has been ordered 13 1/2# to 14# regulated with Kynoch 750 gr. ammo.

I specified on both that balance MUST be slightly forward of the hinge pin (critical).

Reason for specifying Kynoch was due to their availability and the fact that I will be loading with Woodleigh bullets.

RCBS Supreme works for them all.

Hell Dave, you can save the cost of the loader when you buy my V-C .577 which includes new loaded ammo (at cost, see my Gunsinternational listing). Wink

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Don, was the one you are selling regulated with Kynoch ammo as well?

I think you are right on target with the 11.5 pounds for the .500. Most of the "off the rack" .500s like from Merkel or Krieghoff come in at 10.5 pounds or less. I know some guys can handle that recoil but for me anyway, 11.5 lbs sounds about right for a .500.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
So, I fired the 577 this afternoon, one shot, since there was only cartridge left out of the 4 cartridges that showed up with the gun. The cartridge was a Kynoch 750 grain solid, recently made by Kynamco. I stuck a folded-up towel on my shoulder and a gendarme who happened to be at the range took a video with his cell phone. He promised to send it to me, but I'm not holding my breath.

The gun weighed around 15 pounds, definitely too heavy for me to carry around for more than about ten minutes. I was also surprised at the trigger pull; it felt like 8 or 9 pounds. Is this normal for this type of gun? Anyway, my shot was poor, but then I was apprehending all sorts of pain (which didn't happen) and even with a dry-fire test the trigger pull is much heavier than I am used to, so I jerked the shot.

We measured the bullet velocity, and here was the surprise, only 1,800 fps from this factory load. Maybe that's why the pain was less than expected.

The gun looks very well made and with this load it regulated about an inch apart at 50 yards, both shots by another shooter.

Would I buy a .577? No, it's not for me. I think I'd look at a 450 or 450/400 if I were in the market for a double.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Dave

Yes, load already developed and one ellie downed with the gun last August. Double tap within one to two seconds. The 25 5/8" bbls. reduce the muzzle jump enabling a fast follow up shot IMHO. This gun is ready to go!

Send check to......... Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We measured the bullet velocity, and here was the surprise, only 1,800 fps from this factory load

This is the same complaint often read about in old literature. I wonder why? We really need modern Hornady loads. I wish.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave

Yes, load already developed and one ellie downed with the gun last August. Double tap within one to two seconds. The 25 5/8" bbls. reduce the muzzle jump enabling a fast follow up shot IMHO. This gun is ready to go!

Send check to......... Big Grin

Don:

I have been trying to explain to my wife what a wonderful 40th wedding anniversary present it would make. I even told here I would let her clean it. For reasons that I can't understand, she thinks we need a freakin trip to the Mediterranean and get this, and a new dryer. I tried to reason with her. I said how about we get the gun, take a trip to the Jersey shore and get a clothes line. She must not be buying it because she turned and walked out of the room muttering something under her breath. Sometimes you just can reason with a woman Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
We measured the bullet velocity, and here was the surprise, only 1,800 fps from this factory load. Maybe that's why the pain was less than expected.

Richard and I found this out several years ago with BERTRAM BRASS using bell loads .. and kynamco brass IS bertram brass ...

loads that were supposed to go a hair over 2000 was in the mid to high 1800, and full house loads barely 1900 ... the bertram brass is FAR thinner than bell brass .. and I am not surprised that you got 1800ish... i AM surprised that the load data, that Ross, Larry, and even Butch have, has not made it back into the industry ....

good news for me .. Richard doesn't have the 577 anymore, and I am not called to shoot it ...

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave I used the angle of a midlife crisis to get mine. My wife said fine, but no Ferraris or cheerleaders and I could get the 577. I figured it was a good deal as I did not want a Ferrari and certainly not a cheerleader, nor could I afford either.

Matthew

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink, glad you had fun, got at least one shot and did not hurt yourself. It is good to have a friend with a 577 as now you can shoot it occasionaly and you did not have to pay for it. My rear trigger is set for 3 lbs and is fantastic but the front is 5.5 lbs and is too heavy for my liking. I think I will send it to Butch to have that changed.

Matthew

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Fourbore

Very interesting. My V-C was regulated with Kynoch 750 gr. (see very acceptable factory test target in my GI ad) ammo. Kynoch's "stated" velocity is 2050 FPS with a 28" bbl.

With my V-C with 25 5/8" bbl., Jamison Brass, 119 gr. RL 15 behind a 750 gr. Woodleigh (with filler) the bbls. print about together at 50 yds.. My "instrument" velocity is 1980 FPS., about what I would expect with the 1 3/8" shorter bbls.

After seeing Wink's "instrument" velocity of 1800 FPS, it makes me wonder. Chances are Wink's V-C has bbls. 2" shorter than mine which would account for part of it. I am using a Pro Chrony. After seeing posts on another thread here, I begin to doubt my instrument. At the same time I must question Wink's instrument. No offense intended at all. Just trying to figure it all out.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matthewx:
Dave I used the angle of a midlife crisis to get mine. My wife said fine, but no Ferraris or cheerleaders and I could get the 577. I figured it was a good deal as I did not want a Ferrari and certainly not a cheerleader, nor could I afford either.

Matthew

Matthew

In the long run, the Ferrari is much cheaper (than the cheerleader)!!!! Big Grin

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
If Jeffeoso posts on the subject, you can about stake your life on what he says...

I have never shot one, But I wouldnt hesitate if I got the chance to crack one off. I didnt get scared of the light weight 375RUM till it came up and punched me in the cheek one day when I got lazy with it. I will never do that again...

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fourbore

Very interesting. My V-C was regulated with Kynoch 750 gr. (see very acceptable factory test target in my GI ad) ammo. Kynoch's "stated" velocity is 2050 FPS with a 28" bbl.

With my V-C with 25 5/8" bbl., Jamison Brass, 119 gr. RL 15 behind a 750 gr. Woodleigh (with filler) the bbls. print about together at 50 yds.. My "instrument" velocity is 1980 FPS., about what I would expect with the 1 3/8" shorter bbls.

After seeing Wink's "instrument" velocity of 1800 FPS, it makes me wonder. Chances are Wink's V-C has bbls. 2" shorter than mine which would account for part of it. I am using a Pro Chrony. After seeing posts on another thread here, I begin to doubt my instrument. At the same time I must question Wink's instrument. No offense intended at all. Just trying to figure it all out.

Don

The VC gun we used has 24 inch barrels. But could that alone explain only 1,800 fps? I used the chrony on some other loads for my 300 Savage the same afternoon and got expected velocities from my handloads, so I don't think it's the chrony.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mate of mine is running a Ruger No1 in 577NE with 26" barrel. No issues getting 2000fps, and a bit faster with Bertram brass and a Bertram 750gr projectile. Only issue was that the brass needed a whisker taken off just ahead of the rim.

The 1800fps speeds in new Kynoch ammunition (yes its Bertram brass) may be more a question of getting old rifles to regulate? bewildered
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote