THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
one of us
posted Hide Post
I give an A+ to the young lady that was working the cash register. She told me $25 something and I handed her a $20, a $5 and a $1. She immediately corrected me and handed me back the $50 bill that I had mistakenly handed her, thinking I had pulled a $20 bill. That type of honesty helps restore my faith in mankind.

Also a good reason not to carry a 50.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That does seem rare these days.

I have only been to the location outside of Stephenville about 20 years ago.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True that. It seems a shame to sell your soul for $50.00. I also thank any cashiers that still know how to return your change. That too seems to be a lost art.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Ft. Worth. https://www.coopersbbq.com/

Went there to tour the John Wayne Museum. https://www.johnwayne.com/experience I enjoyed the museum more than I thought I would. The amount of personal items belonging to John Wayne was phenomenal. It cost $20+ but well worth a look. (They even had Roy Roger's Trigger and Bullet on display.)

Cooper's BBQ was a bit of a disappointment. The brisket, jalapeno sausage, and pork ribs were up to snuff. The beef rib was a little too fatty. The potato salad and blackberry cobbler was average. The BBQ sauce was vinegar based and thin as water with a similar taste. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 1. It was like they made a gallon batch of BBQ sauce then cut it with water to make a 500 gallon batch of BBQ sauce.

I would rate Coopers as below average. It is hard to enjoy BBQ with a lousy BBQ sauce. I thought it was expensive too. $52.80 which included a Coors Light. (At least the beans were free.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of you ever get to Texarkana you gotta go to Nammans bbq.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Just got back from Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Ft. Worth. https://www.coopersbbq.com/

Went there to tour the John Wayne Museum. https://www.johnwayne.com/experience I enjoyed the museum more than I thought I would. The amount of personal items belonging to John Wayne was phenomenal. It cost $20+ but well worth a look. (They even had Roy Roger's Trigger and Bullet on display.)

Cooper's BBQ was a bit of a disappointment. The brisket, jalapeno sausage, and pork ribs were up to snuff. The beef rib was a little too fatty. The potato salad and blackberry cobbler was average. The BBQ sauce was vinegar based and thin as water with a similar taste. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 1. It was like they made a gallon batch of BBQ sauce then cut it with water to make a 500 gallon batch of BBQ sauce.

I would rate Coopers as below average. It is hard to enjoy BBQ with a lousy BBQ sauce. I thought it was expensive too. $52.80 which included a Coors Light. (At least the beans were free.)

That’s disappointing, but they be one of those old school joints that used to refuse sauce because they thought it was an insult. I still enjoy a good sauce.

The John Wayne Museum sounds interesting. I need to check that out.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I saw this headline, I just knew that we had reintroduced Charlie's shade! Bon Appetite, ya'll!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, thank you for your report. I was just thinking of Gato this morning, and a couple of others -- Randall/Crazyhorse Consulting and Lloyd/Alberta Canuck -- whose voices I miss here on AR.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I agree. Having made many friends here over the years with daily conversations, it's always sad when they are gone. Even my regular old FTF friends, we never talked on a daily basis.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lloyd/Alberta Canuck -- whose voices I miss here on AR.

Agree I had several conversations with Lloyd on the telephone and he was inspiring to speak with and a down to earth person who had things figured out for the most part at an early age.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3067 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stopped by Hard Eight BBQ in The Colony yesterday. https://hardeightbbq.com/ Now THAT is BBQ.

The man cutting the meat, particularly the brisket, was doing too good a job. I watched him take a fresh brisket, shave off the bark, and flip it in the garbage. We looked at each other and would have gladly eaten that piece.

The jalapeno sausage was very good, tasty, but sausage to me is always just a prelude to the real stuff, the ribs and brisket. I got all three. The brisket was just short of spectacular, maybe just a tad dryer than I like. The ribs were very good. They could have been a tad meatier but the "bite" was excellent.

Again, I guess the new rage is thin BBQ sauce. It had an excellent flavor, but why so watery?

I went pure meat-eater on this run; no sides, no dessert. Just sweet tea.

If you are out around Nebraska Furniture, plan to stop by. It's at least as good as Hutchins. The price was $21.82, very reasonable this day and age.

I'll give Hard Eight BBQ a 9 out of 10. Better than I remembered it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Mt. Pleasant last week and stopped by JoJack's Smokehouse. https://www.jojacksbbq.com/ Nice place, new, big, clean, (cleanest restroom in a BBQ joint that I've ever seen.) They are right off I-30.

The best BBQ sauce that I think I've ever had. They actually had four sauces. The best of the bunch was their "bourbon" sauce; real bourbon flavor. I had the sliced brisket and green-onion sausage. The sausage was outstanding. The brisket was "pedestrian", but smoked correctly, just didn't stand out until you covered it with the bourbon sauce. The sides of Corn and Mac-n-Cheese were both very good.

The portions were large. The sweet tea was excellent. The standout was the customer service. Besides the ample portions, they were eager to please and checked in with you to see if you needed anything. I'll stop in again. I need to sample their ribs.

Normally I would knock-off points because of the plastic "silverware". I like eating with real tools. At JoJack's the plastic wasn't the kind that break a fork on every meal, or can't cut a piece of brisket, they were the good stuff. I have no complaint.

Actually I do have one complaint. It's the Dollar General store next door. I can remember getting 10# bags of ice for a couple of bucks, and thought that was high. Then they went to 8# bags of ice for the same price. Dollar General was selling 7# bags of ice for $2.20. (It's frozen water for Christ sake, not diamonds.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, Smokey Moes sold out to a new owner. I haven't eaten there since but the word is that they still have a stockpile of bottles of the old BBQ sauce. I intend to pick up a few; let me know if you want a couple. Whoever bought it out might use the same recipe but I don't KNOW that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all miss Gato, but if Kensco wants to take up the mantle, he's got some big shoes to fill, but at least he's not talking politics. Q is something we might actually agree on.

In Houston, Roegels is the best I've found. Their beef ribs, when they have them, are the best I've ever had. Brisket and sausage are good and pork ribs are great. The smoked pork belly is awesome, if a bit ritch. It's basically bacon.

Sides are good. I like the potato salad and slaw, but am partial to the collard greens.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the early 60s when I was still living in Wichita Falls, the whole family would meet after church at Underwoods BBQ. Fond memories + good Q.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not a huge fan of bbq, but thrre is s place midway between Ennis and Waxahachie on Hwy 287 that is packed for lunch every day, never stopped in but must br pretty good. About 35 miles south of Dallas, if any nearby AR members is interested in trying it out, I’d be happy to meet for lunch… https://www.bluebonnetbbqandevents.com/

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I told you that Smokey Moes changed hands. I stopped by today to buy another bottle of their sauce; they have discontinued the large bottle + now have a pint variety, at the same price as the original. Greed will kill any business.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not a huge bbq fan, but I do like a good brisket. There is a bbq place near our place, between Ennis and Waxahachie (30 miles south of Dallas) called Bluebonnet BBQ, I pass by it several days a week and it’s always packed at lunch time, easily 50-75 cars/trucks in the parking lot, I figured it’s either good bbq or cheap, so I checked their online menu and it ain’t cheap, so must be pretty good. I’d like to try it someday and if anyone in the area wants to meet for lunch one day, if any nearby AR member would like to meet for lunch there just let me know and we’ll set it up.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is just me, but I went to Hard Eight Pit BBQ in The Colony Sunday with my son. https://hardeightbbq.com/locations/ The people there were supper nice, but the BBQ was "off". I picked sliced brisket and ribs. The brisket fell apart as the placed it on the tray. Must have been overcooked. It looked like chopped brisket. The ribs didn't have a lot of meat on them, and more fat than meat. I took exception to the sauce as well. I like a sauce with a little body. Their sauce was as thin as water.

I sometimes think we are overrun with barbecue joints. We certainly have more than we need in the Dallas area and I believe it has led to a decrease in quality of the BBQ.

I probably won't be going back to Hard Eight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, when I weny into Moe's last week to buy a bottle of sauce I did notice that they were hiring kids for $16.95 an hour. Counter help. I'm all for everyone working + am damned glad for those kids that get the jobs but you must admit that the price of the finished product will the bearer of what one can afford.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last week I stopped by Scholl Bros. Bar-B-Que in Paris, Texas on my way to hunt hogs. I always look forward to stopping in for some ribs and sliced brisket. The results this time were very disappointing. The brisket was pure Point. I like a combination of Point and Flat, but this was just too fatty.

The ribs are usually excellent and very meaty. This time they lacked sufficient meat on the bone. It doesn't matter how you smoke it, if it's a bad piece of meat, you're doomed. Smaller portions, lower quality, and higher price is a lousy combination.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, I am sorry for your disappointment. I have found barbecue inconsistency to be a real issue. You feel like you have a place pegged and you salivate as you pull up in anticipation-- cause that's what good que does to a person -- and you get down to the actual consumption and it is dry, it is way too fatty, it was overcooked, they bathed it in sauce and buried the flavors, etc.
There are a couple of joints in Abilene that have a good rep and I will have to try them. The Shed is just down Buffalo Gap Road from where I get my spinal injections ...
Thank you for keeping Gato's thread alive.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed,; thanks for keeping Gato's thread alive. The price of EVERYTHING has gone through the roof. I do the grocery shopping, so I am aware of prices. Since Linda's operation, she needs to be on a high protein + fiber diet. So I have been doing a lot of hard-boiled eggs + cans of black beans. Easy afternoon snack. The 18 CNT. Carton of eggs went up a dollar in the last 2 days + the HEB brand cans of black beans went up 50 cents a can overnight. When basic staples escalate that much in percentage that fast, we have a problem.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the weirdest BBQ experience ever. (ledvm might be able to straighten this out.)

I was going through Greenville, Texas around lunchtime and decided to try some Bar-B-Que. I flipped a coin and it came up Smokehouse & Market on Johnson Street. I got there right before noon, and there were about ten people in line in front of me. One of them asked for sliced brisket, which was my intent. The response was, "We don't have any sliced brisket. The fire went out last night and none of the briskets are ready."

(A few customers got out of line and left.)

The customer that had asked for brisket then asked for the beef stew. The server was ladling what looked like broth into a large cup when the customer asked where the beef was. The server told him that was all they had, and the customer told him to dump that and give him the ham and turkey.

I ended-up getting the ribs and the "Pittsburg Brand Hot Links" that sounded like their specialty. (The hot links looked like they had been lying under the heat lamp for about five days, all shriveled up.) I also ordered a large Styrofoam cup of sweet tea.

They handed me the cup and I filled it.

The hot links had a weird mouth-feel to it. Not firm, but soft and mushy. I thought initially that it was uncooked like the brisket, but I decided that was just the way that brand was.

The ribs were excellent; meaty and smoked perfectly.

It was about then that I noticed my tea was slowly spreading over the table top. It had a small leak in the bottom. I got it changed out.

Their sauce was virtually tasteless. It added nothing to the taste of the meats. The sauces were all sitting on a side counter. There were about ten bottles unmarked, so whether there was more than one style was not clear, although they looked different. The other thing that was sad about the sauces was that seven of the bottles had about an inch of sauce in them. The bottles looked nasty.

When I left there were still people in line, but I won't be going back.

It felt to me like the place was run by three bikers; two in the back and one up front. There was no one cleaning table or attending to the customers.

If that is the best they can do, they are on their way out of business.

If you need a recommendation for good Bar-B-Que in Greenville, I can't help you.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had the weirdest BBQ experience ever. (ledvm might be able to straighten this out.)

I was going through Greenville, Texas around lunchtime and decided to try some Bar-B-Que. I flipped a coin and it came up Smokehouse & Market on Johnson Street. I got there right before noon, and there were about ten people in line in front of me. One of them asked for sliced brisket, which was my intent. The response was, "We don't have any sliced brisket. The fire went out last night and none of the briskets are ready."

(A few customers got out of line and left.)

The customer that had asked for brisket then asked for the beef stew. The server was ladling what looked like broth into a large cup when the customer asked where the beef was. The server told him that was all they had, and the customer told him to dump that and give him the ham and turkey.

I ended-up getting the ribs and the "Pittsburg Brand Hot Links" that sounded like their specialty. (The hot links looked like they had been lying under the heat lamp for about five days, all shriveled up.) I also ordered a large Styrofoam cup of sweet tea.

They handed me the cup and I filled it.

The hot links had a weird mouth-feel to it. Not firm, but soft and mushy. I thought initially that it was uncooked like the brisket, but I decided that was just the way that brand was.

The ribs were excellent; meaty and smoked perfectly.

It was about then that I noticed my tea was slowly spreading over the table top. It had a small leak in the bottom. I got it changed out.

Their sauce was virtually tasteless. It added nothing to the taste of the meats. The sauces were all sitting on a side counter. There were about ten bottles unmarked, so whether there was more than one style was not clear, although they looked different. The other thing that was sad about the sauces was that seven of the bottles had about an inch of sauce in them. The bottles looked nasty.

When I left there were still people in line, but I won't be going back.

It felt to me like the place was run by three bikers; two in the back and one up front. There was no one cleaning table or attending to the customers.

If that is the best they can do, they are on their way out of business.

If you need a recommendation for good Bar-B-Que in Greenville, I can't help you.

Kensco,

Did you mean Greenville or Gainesville? Ledvm is Gainsville north on 35. Greenville is Hunt County to the east, and north of 30.

If Greenville, I can’t say I’ve found anything great in that area. Bodacious was good before, but I know it’s a chain. Baker’s Ribs, also a chain, had some places on 30
East, before the lake and another in Rockwall.

If Gainesville, I would like to know a place if I ever heard up to the casino.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion. Greenville, and I consider ledvm our honcho for everything north of 380.

Which, I'll comment on one other thing; traffic. The people in McKinney bitch about 380 in McKinney. Try 380 east, around Princeton, between McKinney and Greenville. Traffic lights back up the traffic on 380 for more than a mile, both ways, around 3:30pm.

Farms and ranches are disappearing fast in North Texas as urban sprawl takes over.....a bigger threat than feral hogs.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Greenville, and I consider ledvm our honcho for everything north of 380.

Which, I'll comment on one other thing; traffic. The people in McKinney bitch about 380 in McKinney. Try 380 east, around Princeton, between McKinney and Greenville. Traffic lights back up the traffic on 380 for more than a mile, both ways, around 3:30pm.

Farms and ranches are disappearing fast in North Texas as urban sprawl takes over.....a bigger threat than feral hogs.

I never took 380 east when I was handling cases in Greenville. I’m close to downtown and just took 30.

I have taken 380 west recently and it’s terrible. I used to love going through Runaway Bay on my way to Graham. However, it was quite the speed trap.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought of Runaway Bay in 45 years. I had a good friend whose father lived there.

We used to go to Bowie a lot. Junior Haney Drilling Company was based there. Junior and another one of my friends grew up together. I had the privilege of running hoop nets for catfish in the Little Wichita with them.

Good times.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hello Ken and Marcus,

BBQ in Gainesville: I recommend taking 82 West a couple of miles to the small town of Lindsey and eating at Dieter Bros — right on 82…cannot miss it. I sent Gato there and he did not rank it high…but one of my favs. If you are into German food…try the kraut and German potato salad. The onion rings also good.

If going to the Casino…believe it or not…Toby Keith’s in the casino is quite good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hadn't thought of Runaway Bay in 45 years. I had a good friend whose father lived there.

We used to go to Bowie a lot. Junior Haney Drilling Company was based there. Junior and another one of my friends grew up together. I had the privilege of running hoop nets for catfish in the Little Wichita with them.

Good times.

Brings back fond memories for me as well Ken. I drug many a large yellow cat out of a hoop-net in the West Fork of the Trinity above Lake Bridgeport (the lake a Runaway Bay). As the crow flies not to far from the part of the little Wichita you are speaking of.

My hoop-net partner was 45 year drilling superintendent for ARCO. There is a story about this I will share another time.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We probably should each write a book..........as long as the Statute of Limitations has run out.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
We probably should each write a book..........as long as the Statute of Limitations has run out.

Exactly ^^^

Hoop nets or barrel nets as my mentor called them…were kind of frowned upon. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Giddings, Texas a few days ago. Stopped by Outlaws BBQ while I was there. https://outlawstylebaby.com/ I won't go back to Giddings without stopping in again. The facility itself is on the rustic side, but generally the better BBQ is found in places like that.

The sliced brisket was smoked to perfection. Pulled apart with a gentle tug. The flavor and mouth-feel was 10 out of 10.

I also tried their ribs. I would grade them a 9 out of 10. They were very meaty. The piece of meat itself was not quite as good as I've had, but damn close.

I really liked their sauce. It wasn't thin and runny. It didn't have an excess vinegar taste. The consistency was similar to ketchup. I like a sauce with a little body. The taste was excellent.

Their Outlaw Corn is a terrific side. It tastes like Mac-N-Cheese, but with corn and no Mac. There is a hint of cream of mushroom soup, but not enough to damage the corn & Velveeta.

The other side I bought was the cold slaw. It was just okay. They ground it too fine.

They are only open on Fridays and Saturdays. I like that they don't charge by the pound. I like a BBQ joint that has Plates, Sandwiches, and a few Specials. If they charge me by the pound, they are trying to overcharge me. That is how I think of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, if one is bringing home a batch for supper that is one thing, but just for lunch, plates prices are to be used. I'll look for them the next time I'm in Giddings.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gad, so many places to try in this big old state and I have to look just about every one of them up on a map -- Giddings, Lindsey ...
That Hard Eight in Stephenville is just two hours from here. If I need a 'que road trip I might try there first, based on Ken's review of the one in The Colony.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, if you want to try out the one in Stephenville, I have a good buddy who lives there + I can give you his # if you want to meet for lunch. He is a like-minded shooter/ reloader.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Houston, Pizzatola's is awesome, especially for ribs, but all around too. Luling City Barbecue is great too, especially for their sausage. Roegle's is great too. Kensco, if you're in Houston, you should try these out.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree as to Luling City and Pizzatola's. Jerry P has retired but the new owners seem to be maintaining the quality. Have not tried Roegle's but hear good things about it. I have been eating at Luling City Market (The original in Luling, Texas) since the early 60s. The real deal for brisket, Ribs and sausage. Served on brown paper the way it is meant to be. Can't really report on the sides can't remember eating them. I stick to meat, white bread, onion, pickle and jalapeño, so as not to limit my Q capacity. Not open on Sunday.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog,

If you don't mind rich, try the smoked porkbelly at Roegels. It's what it sounds like, smoked bacon, but not fried. A little goes a long way, but it's pretty darn good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lavaca, will do.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote