THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
one of us
posted Hide Post
I give an A+ to the young lady that was working the cash register. She told me $25 something and I handed her a $20, a $5 and a $1. She immediately corrected me and handed me back the $50 bill that I had mistakenly handed her, thinking I had pulled a $20 bill. That type of honesty helps restore my faith in mankind.

Also a good reason not to carry a 50.

Posts: 12984 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That does seem rare these days.

I have only been to the location outside of Stephenville about 20 years ago.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3234 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True that. It seems a shame to sell your soul for $50.00. I also thank any cashiers that still know how to return your change. That too seems to be a lost art.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17353 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Ft. Worth. https://www.coopersbbq.com/

Went there to tour the John Wayne Museum. https://www.johnwayne.com/experience I enjoyed the museum more than I thought I would. The amount of personal items belonging to John Wayne was phenomenal. It cost $20+ but well worth a look. (They even had Roy Roger's Trigger and Bullet on display.)

Cooper's BBQ was a bit of a disappointment. The brisket, jalapeno sausage, and pork ribs were up to snuff. The beef rib was a little too fatty. The potato salad and blackberry cobbler was average. The BBQ sauce was vinegar based and thin as water with a similar taste. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 1. It was like they made a gallon batch of BBQ sauce then cut it with water to make a 500 gallon batch of BBQ sauce.

I would rate Coopers as below average. It is hard to enjoy BBQ with a lousy BBQ sauce. I thought it was expensive too. $52.80 which included a Coors Light. (At least the beans were free.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of you ever get to Texarkana you gotta go to Nammans bbq.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Just got back from Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Ft. Worth. https://www.coopersbbq.com/

Went there to tour the John Wayne Museum. https://www.johnwayne.com/experience I enjoyed the museum more than I thought I would. The amount of personal items belonging to John Wayne was phenomenal. It cost $20+ but well worth a look. (They even had Roy Roger's Trigger and Bullet on display.)

Cooper's BBQ was a bit of a disappointment. The brisket, jalapeno sausage, and pork ribs were up to snuff. The beef rib was a little too fatty. The potato salad and blackberry cobbler was average. The BBQ sauce was vinegar based and thin as water with a similar taste. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 1. It was like they made a gallon batch of BBQ sauce then cut it with water to make a 500 gallon batch of BBQ sauce.

I would rate Coopers as below average. It is hard to enjoy BBQ with a lousy BBQ sauce. I thought it was expensive too. $52.80 which included a Coors Light. (At least the beans were free.)

That’s disappointing, but they be one of those old school joints that used to refuse sauce because they thought it was an insult. I still enjoy a good sauce.

The John Wayne Museum sounds interesting. I need to check that out.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3234 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I saw this headline, I just knew that we had reintroduced Charlie's shade! Bon Appetite, ya'll!

Posts: 17353 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, thank you for your report. I was just thinking of Gato this morning, and a couple of others -- Randall/Crazyhorse Consulting and Lloyd/Alberta Canuck -- whose voices I miss here on AR.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 14865 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I agree. Having made many friends here over the years with daily conversations, it's always sad when they are gone. Even my regular old FTF friends, we never talked on a daily basis.

one of us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lloyd/Alberta Canuck -- whose voices I miss here on AR.

Agree I had several conversations with Lloyd on the telephone and he was inspiring to speak with and a down to earth person who had things figured out for the most part at an early age.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stopped by Hard Eight BBQ in The Colony yesterday. https://hardeightbbq.com/ Now THAT is BBQ.

The man cutting the meat, particularly the brisket, was doing too good a job. I watched him take a fresh brisket, shave off the bark, and flip it in the garbage. We looked at each other and would have gladly eaten that piece.

The jalapeno sausage was very good, tasty, but sausage to me is always just a prelude to the real stuff, the ribs and brisket. I got all three. The brisket was just short of spectacular, maybe just a tad dryer than I like. The ribs were very good. They could have been a tad meatier but the "bite" was excellent.

Again, I guess the new rage is thin BBQ sauce. It had an excellent flavor, but why so watery?

I went pure meat-eater on this run; no sides, no dessert. Just sweet tea.

If you are out around Nebraska Furniture, plan to stop by. It's at least as good as Hutchins. The price was $21.82, very reasonable this day and age.

I'll give Hard Eight BBQ a 9 out of 10. Better than I remembered it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Mt. Pleasant last week and stopped by JoJack's Smokehouse. https://www.jojacksbbq.com/ Nice place, new, big, clean, (cleanest restroom in a BBQ joint that I've ever seen.) They are right off I-30.

The best BBQ sauce that I think I've ever had. They actually had four sauces. The best of the bunch was their "bourbon" sauce; real bourbon flavor. I had the sliced brisket and green-onion sausage. The sausage was outstanding. The brisket was "pedestrian", but smoked correctly, just didn't stand out until you covered it with the bourbon sauce. The sides of Corn and Mac-n-Cheese were both very good.

The portions were large. The sweet tea was excellent. The standout was the customer service. Besides the ample portions, they were eager to please and checked in with you to see if you needed anything. I'll stop in again. I need to sample their ribs.

Normally I would knock-off points because of the plastic "silverware". I like eating with real tools. At JoJack's the plastic wasn't the kind that break a fork on every meal, or can't cut a piece of brisket, they were the good stuff. I have no complaint.

Actually I do have one complaint. It's the Dollar General store next door. I can remember getting 10# bags of ice for a couple of bucks, and thought that was high. Then they went to 8# bags of ice for the same price. Dollar General was selling 7# bags of ice for $2.20. (It's frozen water for Christ sake, not diamonds.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, Smokey Moes sold out to a new owner. I haven't eaten there since but the word is that they still have a stockpile of bottles of the old BBQ sauce. I intend to pick up a few; let me know if you want a couple. Whoever bought it out might use the same recipe but I don't KNOW that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We all miss Gato, but if Kensco wants to take up the mantle, he's got some big shoes to fill, but at least he's not talking politics. Q is something we might actually agree on.

In Houston, Roegels is the best I've found. Their beef ribs, when they have them, are the best I've ever had. Brisket and sausage are good and pork ribs are great. The smoked pork belly is awesome, if a bit ritch. It's basically bacon.

Sides are good. I like the potato salad and slaw, but am partial to the collard greens.

Posts: 8931 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the early 60s when I was still living in Wichita Falls, the whole family would meet after church at Underwoods BBQ. Fond memories + good Q.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I’m not a huge fan of bbq, but thrre is s place midway between Ennis and Waxahachie on Hwy 287 that is packed for lunch every day, never stopped in but must br pretty good. About 35 miles south of Dallas, if any nearby AR members is interested in trying it out, I’d be happy to meet for lunch… https://www.bluebonnetbbqandevents.com/

Karl Evans

Posts: 2299 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I told you that Smokey Moes changed hands. I stopped by today to buy another bottle of their sauce; they have discontinued the large bottle + now have a pint variety, at the same price as the original. Greed will kill any business.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I’m not a huge bbq fan, but I do like a good brisket. There is a bbq place near our place, between Ennis and Waxahachie (30 miles south of Dallas) called Bluebonnet BBQ, I pass by it several days a week and it’s always packed at lunch time, easily 50-75 cars/trucks in the parking lot, I figured it’s either good bbq or cheap, so I checked their online menu and it ain’t cheap, so must be pretty good. I’d like to try it someday and if anyone in the area wants to meet for lunch one day, if any nearby AR member would like to meet for lunch there just let me know and we’ll set it up.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2299 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is just me, but I went to Hard Eight Pit BBQ in The Colony Sunday with my son. https://hardeightbbq.com/locations/ The people there were supper nice, but the BBQ was "off". I picked sliced brisket and ribs. The brisket fell apart as the placed it on the tray. Must have been overcooked. It looked like chopped brisket. The ribs didn't have a lot of meat on them, and more fat than meat. I took exception to the sauce as well. I like a sauce with a little body. Their sauce was as thin as water.

I sometimes think we are overrun with barbecue joints. We certainly have more than we need in the Dallas area and I believe it has led to a decrease in quality of the BBQ.

I probably won't be going back to Hard Eight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, when I weny into Moe's last week to buy a bottle of sauce I did notice that they were hiring kids for $16.95 an hour. Counter help. I'm all for everyone working + am damned glad for those kids that get the jobs but you must admit that the price of the finished product will the bearer of what one can afford.