THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Terry Black’s, Deep Ellum, Dallas.

I popped in a couple days ago. My order was a sliced brisket sandwich with potato salad, cream corn, and baked beans. Oh, a fountain drink was included in my “sandwich special.” My bill was $37. The cashier proceeded to flip the screen for me to add a tip. Of course, I added tip because I don’t know what they are paid for what they do.

I miss Baker’s Ribs that was just next door, but run away because real estate prices and Terry Black’s Pecan Lodge came in with “gourmet BBQ.”

Reading ‘Texas Monthly’ earlier with their Bum Steer Awards, they referenced how thieves stole $3,000 of brisket and said those 3-4 pounds will be missed. The rest of the magazine is way too liberal, but it still arrives in my mailbox.

The meat was good, but I was put off by the price and attitude. I’ll drive further to Baker’s next time.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped into 'Smokey Moes BBQ' a couple of weeks ago to buy a bottle of sauce, + they had a help wanted sign on the window stating that they were hiring counter help for $17.00 an hour. Counter help is not a big brain occupation, besides in these days when the computer register tells you how to make change (although when a young person does it right, I always compliment them) what is there to know that justifies that wage? One thing for sure is that it has to affect the bottom line of what one pays for the product.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No matter where you live in Texas, some great barbecue is waiting in your own backyard. https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/best-texas-bbq-2022/

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got that right! Back in the early 80s I was in Round Rock at lunchtime on a job + stopped into this little dive, that didn't look like much from the outside, but that was the best I have ever eaten. The next time I went by they were gone. I have no idea why, as their product was excellent.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Heck, I just learned that the Texas Monthly has covered Big Boys here in Sweetwater. Will try this real soon, maybe even before I go to Allen's for the fried chicken.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/b...ar-b-que-sweetwater/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brother, if you find a good source of GOOD fried chicken, stick to them like glue. My ex- mother-in-law made the best fried chicken I ever had. Her daughter turned out to be not so much, but the mother was a peach. She even came to live with me before she passed. One of the world's great People.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll throw out Arthur Bryant’s in KC (original location) it’s been there almost 100 years and it’s still amazing.

Another great option is BB’s Lawnside BBQ our off Troost.

Get the burnt ands and pair it with ribs jr brisket and a side of potato salad or beans and you’ll be in BBQ heaven.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While not always available, when Roegels in Houston has beef ribs they are simply awesome.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, same thing applies to Franklin's here in Austin. Great Q but generally a 2-hour wait in line, which I will not do.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Ate at "Hard Eight" twice while in DFW on the way back from Antarctica. Damn good.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had lunch at Rudy's in Allen last week. I'm not feeling it. Everything by the pound, "no two meat plates". I asked for a 1/2 pound of brisket. He put it on the scale and asked me if I wanted another slice. I asked if it weighed 1/2 pound, he said "No", so I said give me another slice. Why did we even have that conversation?

I got a 1/2 jalapeno sausage, beans and potato salad also.

All of it was okay, but nothing special. The sauce was fine except it was in a bottle that you had to pound on the bottom to get any sauce out of it. The opening was too small.

I didn't enjoy the experience, and the BBQ was backing up on me for the next four hours.

Maybe I'm just not a BBQ fan anymore.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Last time my squeeze and I ate at Rudy's in Las Cruces, we both got sick -- and the food was so mediocre it was not worth it.
I simply have to find a big, meaty beef "dinosaur rib" that has been properly BBQed. Never had one.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stopped at the new HEB in Allen, Texas for their BBQ. Mixed reviews really. The plusses were the price, the sliced brisket, the sauce, and the brisket bean side. The minuses were the Mac & Cheese side, the ambiance, the pulled pork, and the bread I didn't get.

Let's face it, BBQ at an HEB is like eating in a grocery store instead of a BBQ joint.

The sliced brisket was cooked to perfection with the bark having a nice peppery flavor. The lean slices were juicy and had a fatty thread that I cut off, but then saw it had a nice line of bark, so I finished it off too. Similar flavor to a burnt-end.

The atmosphere was strictly grocery store. You had to get up and get everything. Nothing on the table, no wait staff.

As soon as I saw the "pulled natural pork" was in a cup, I knew it was overdone, and it was. You didn't need teeth to eat it.

The Mac & Cheese side was straight out of a Kraft box.

The Brisket Bean side was excellent. Nice chunks of brisket in the beans gave it a great flavor. I dumped the Mac & Cheese and the Pulled Pork in the beans which made them both edible.

The sauce was very nice, thick, and just the right "whang" to it.

They forgot the bread and I didn't go back and ask. (The pickles, onions and bread are free.)

The price for a 2-meat plate that included two sides, and an ice tea was $19.74 which I considered fair.

I doubt I'll go back. I like a BBQ joint that feels like a BBQ joint.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hadn't been to Hutchins BBQ in McKinney for a year or so. It was well worth the return.

1. Their sliced brisket and smoked Jalapeno/Cheddar Sausage is as good as it gets. (You can make a meal of the Texas Twinkies.)
2. Their sauce fits my palate and I hate runny sauce. Theirs has the right consistency too.
3. Their sides are always good. I especially liked the Brisket & Jalapeno Pinto Beans. They are two different beans. I just mix them together. The cream corn is "OK". It's not the cream corn your mother used to serve you.
4. Not that crazy about their desserts (Peach Cobbler and Banana Pudding). They didn't do it for me. They also have the soft-serve ice cream, but I think their desserts need to be updated.

Their service is exceptional, extra helpful, from the time you walk in the door.

Like most BBQ places now, you don't order "Plates". You order by the pound. (Strange to me that you can't order a one or two-meat plate, but you can order a one or two meat sandwich.

I just order a 1/4 pound of two meats, throw in a Texas Twinkie with two sides, and I'm happy.

I still think Hutchins is the best BBQ place within 50 miles of McKinney

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, was the meat at room temp or cooler by the time you got to your table? My honey and I tried some Rudy's in Las Cruces and it was definitely well below the safe temp zone. I prefer my chow hot in most cases. We both felt lousy the next morning.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was above room temperature.

I believe the cool weather has hurt their business. Many times I've stood outside in line waiting to get in. This time we were well inside the door, maybe 20th in line.

What reduces the temperature of the meat, and slows the whole process down are the people that get their meat, then stand in line staring at the Sides like they are anticipating buying a new house instead of just Mac & Cheese.

Hutchins does have a great selection of Sides, eleven (11) in all with six having bacon in them, but get real, and move along for Christ sake.

I am not a Rudy's fan. Rudy's in the Austin area used to be excellent, but now I stay away from any Rudy's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I went to Rudy's, we had a family outing, + my dingbat ex daughter-in-law was there as well. They have the CCTV on all the time so you can see various views of the kitchen, etc. We were all sitting at the large picnic table + she was looking engrossed at the TV screen, + then says, "Oh look, that cooking show is on again."

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I just have to ask. Was your ex DIL blonde? rotflmo

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We winter in Clearwater Beach here in Florida. We go to a great bbq in Clearwater. This old black man starts his smoker at about 4 in the am. He smokes ribs, chicken, brisket and beans. The food is to die for. He has a little white building. Is only open for the weekend and usually runs out of food every day. The man loves his smoking of meats. Carry out only!

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
69deer: These are the prized little pits that are the stuff of legend, right out of "Peace, Love and BBQ."
beer

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, actually, she was a dyed blonde. I gave her a hard time because she didn't even come by that stupidity naturally. Remind me to tell you the story about her + the Harry Truman 10 cent stamp sometime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BB’s Lawnside BBQ in Kansas City Mo.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to pick up a rifle at Gordy & Son's tomorrow and plan on trying Truth BBQ in Houston.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well by the sign of the line, their Q must be great, but I don't have the time.

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 69deer:
We winter in Clearwater Beach here in Florida. We go to a great bbq in Clearwater. This old black man starts his smoker at about 4 in the am. He smokes ribs, chicken, brisket and beans. The food is to die for. He has a little white building. Is only open for the weekend and usually runs out of food every day. The man loves his smoking of meats. Carry out only!

I agree with you 100% Arthur really knows his 'Q. We go maybe 2x a month when we are in FL. And still haven't tried their peach cobbler; they are always out.
Come a little South to Largo next time you have a hankerin'.
In the parking lot of the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church is a permanently parked food truck/trailer. You will smell them as you're coming down Ulmerton Rd. C&J BBQ. They open about Noon and try to go until 8-9 unless they run out earlier. It will be worth your drive, I think.
Cash only.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I guess the Taylor Cafe is now closed after Vencil died in 2019. Looks like a good joint.

https://vimeo.com/42787761?1&r...GkIE_XV7sTcDCy-KjelQ

– John Green, author