THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Franklin's Book.
Franklin Barbecue A Meat-Smoking Manifesto

Just finished the book. I've never been to Franklin's but it is hard to argue with his success. The chances that I will stand in line for 4-5 hours to eat anything anywhere are slim and none. That being said I had seen some articles about Franklin's technique and found it interesting enough to buy the book.
The book begins with his back story. In my opinion, a little too much back story at 30 pages. He then goes into everything from types of smoker to serving the Q, side dishes, sauces and beer. The book did explain the reasons for not only the better but also some of the lesser quality briskets I have smoked over the last 45-50 years. His explanation of the way smoking works and the stall one encounters when smoking a brisket is excellent, as is the period of time to properly rest the meat before slicing. All in all I recommend it to anyone that smokes his own.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't done it, but one can pre-order for pick up at Franklin's and skip the line.

https://franklinbarbecue.com/

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another BBQ Pit Master Class. I'm going to skip this one, but it sounds interesting.

"It's A Pig Pull Party - BBQ Pit Master Nick Pencis from Stanley's in Tyler, TX is coming out to Four Corners Brewery (in Dallas) this Saturday to teach how to make pork ribs, pork butt, and a whole pig at home. Lot's of BBQ to eat and craft beers to enjoy."

There is another BBQ Pit Master Class on the 8th as well.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
If you're in Taylor,Tx. there is a place called the Taylor Cafe in town under the overpass on HWY 79. Sounds like a greasy spoon but actually a real Texas BBQ place. The owner is a WW2 vet in his 90's. Makes his own sausage from a German recipe book he keeps in the safe.Good ribs + brisket as well. You can taste the meat with no over doing it on the sauces or seasonings.Good beans + potatoe salad as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reviewed it earlier in this thread.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a long thread,I did'nt see it. So what did you think?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 02 October 2012 14:37 Hide Post
I had to make a long day's drive to Austin and back home last weekend so, not to have it be a complete waste, I left a little early so I could stop by the town of Taylor (declared by Texas Legislature as "Barbecue Capitol of the World") on the way and sample some Q. I arrived about 11:30 and went to the oldest Q joint in town.......

49) Taylor Cafe, 101 N. Main St., Taylor Texas (Texas Monthly Rating 4.0) My Overall Rating B

This is the oldest Q joint in Taylor, started by the current owner Vencil Mares (now 88 years young and sitting at the bar watching business everyday) not long after he returned from serving in WWII.

Originally it was a hotel/brothel around turn of century and then the top floor burned down so it is a one storied remnant of where they went to come. It is located just across from the railroad tracks and is the quintessential Texas Q joint, in short it looks like it is one very small step from being condemned. Just my kind of place.....long U shaped bar with stools, tables on each side and a pool table at end. Outside looks like a one storied red barn in later stages of decay, inside coordinates with original impression well. Wink

I went in, ordered a Dos Equis and some Q, a pound of brisket, ribs, and beef sausage. Brisket was a distant second to sausage, and ribs were third. Both brisket and ribs had decent rub, but ribs were a bit tough and, while being solid products, both were really ordinary at best. OTOH, the beef sausage, which, as I've mentioned before, is not my favorite Q products, was really exceptionally good. Solid, not dripping with grease as most are, with a decent amount of spice. I'd have liked it hotter but it was still a wonderful experience. They also make turkey sausage which I didn't try since it was not Thanksgiving.

Sauce was not all that good, tomato based, having that slightly bitter flavor of some unidentified spice that I don't find appealing at all.

I'd like to give it a higher grade because it is really an experience that brings back my childhood and younger bar hopping days that should be visited by other similar rapscallions, but since I don't grade sausage or atmosphere, I am forced to give it a decent but not exceptional grade of B. Since it is only 3 blocks from Louie Muellers, it is worth going by and having a beer and sausage, maybe while playing a game of 8 ball, if you can still move after eating at Mueller's.

I would translate the above into about a 3.5/5 Stars in my current rating system, mostly because I don't give any real weight to sausages, mostly because most Tx Q joint sausages are fairly similar grease bombs. As mentioned above, Taylor Cafe's were much better than the average.

It's only a couple of blocks from Louis Mueller's which is, although I think quality has declined in the last few years, substantially better (and more expensive).

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time to pull that back up + I agree with you about Louie Millers. R.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe we've been having fun on this thread for almost 8 years now. Good thing I'm not getting older like y'all. Cool

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree;I see all my OLD friends + then look in the mirror + I have not changed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another BBQ Pit Master Class

"Come out to Franconia Brewing in Mckinney, TX for a special day! April 22nd,from 2p-5pm, enjoy a BBQ Pit Master Class with guest instructor Damian Avila from Lockhart Smokehouse. Damian is the Pit Master for both their Dallas and Plano locations and he will be instructing eveyone in attendance on how to make perfect barbecue at home. Plus all attendees enjoy plenty of food and cold brewed Franconia craft beer."

The cost is $99.00.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Spare a thought for those separated from Mother Texas and her BBQ joints, you guys are killing me here...

In the nicest possible way of course! Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Spare a thought for those separated from Mother Texas and her BBQ joints, you guys are killing me here...

In the nicest possible way of course! Big Grin

I'd love a review of the below:

quote:
RESTAURANTS & BARS

At Smokestak, a brash evolution of barbecue in London
By J.C. ReidMarch 3, 2017 Updated: March 4, 2017 7:21pm

If Ridley Scott, famed director of "Alien" and "Blade Runner," were to design a barbecue joint, it might look something like Smokestak in London - its ambience combines a brooding, monochromatic industrial aura with slick attention to detail and elegant interiors.

Hardly a typical description of a barbecue joint, which often involves linoleum floors and checkered tablecloths. But there's nothing typical about this newly opened barbecue restaurant in the city's trendy Shoreditch neighborhood.

Smokestak is a fascinating example of how the techniques and culture of Texas barbecue continue to metamorphose in surprising and delicious ways around the world.

Like his restaurant, proprietor David Carter is an atypical pitmaster. He grew up on the island of Barbados and attended the Hospitality and Tourism Management program at Ryerson University in Toronto. In 2005, he was recruited by Four Seasons Hotels to work at one of the company's properties in Los Angeles.

In 2008, Carter went to New York for a job interview at a restaurant owned by celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay. Instead, he was offered a position at a Ramsay restaurant at Claridge's hotel in London, which he accepted. Carter would also work at Ramsay's Savoy Grill, and later at Roka, one of London's most celebrated Japanese restaurants.

smokestak.co.uk

Carter always wanted to own his own restaurant. In 2012, he took notice of the Texas barbecue phenomenon sweeping into the United Kingdom. Inspired to make the best barbecue with the best equipment, he flew to Houston to meet with pit maker David Klose, from whom he purchased his first real barbecue pit. Klose took him to Gatlin's BBQ for lunch, where Carter got his first taste of real Texas barbecue.

"This type of cooking is very natural to me," Carter says. "I grew up with barbecue in Barbados, essentially the carbonization of fat and sugars to create flavor."

It is this stripping-down of barbecue to its essence - the "carbonization of fat and sugars," among other techniques - that makes Carter's vision at Smokestak so unique.

Of course there is Texas-style brisket on his menu, some of the best I've tasted outside the Lone Star State. Carter imports Creekstone-brand beef from the U.S. - the same product used at celebrated Texas joints such as Franklin Barbecue and Killen's Barbecue. He and assistant pitmaster Roberto Rebollar cook the brisket in a colossal Ole Hickory wood-burning smoker that is the centerpiece of the restaurant.

Sliced brisket is available, but Carter's creativity is most deliciously expressed in the restaurant's signature "brisket bun." A pillowy brioche bun is painted with butter, topped with a voluptuous pile of fatty brisket and sprinkled with slices of crunchy, pickled chili peppers.

Vegetables get the carbonization treatment, too. Impossibly flavorful carrots are coated in honey, caramelized over the fire of a wood-charcoal grill, and strewn with sprigs of fresh thyme. Even desserts are in on the act - a traditional sticky toffee pudding is topped with a burnt butter ice cream.

Seated for lunch, we watched as Carter directed the performance of his staff from the open kitchen. Neighborhood denizens began to stream in. The dining room, which felt slightly aloof and somber when we sat down, transformed.

The place's black-and-gray industrial design became a backdrop for the colorful flares of food and guests - bright-red chili peppers strewn across our plate of brisket, a shock of ginger hair at the table next to us, a shimmering blue scarf draped across a neighboring chair. The initially quiet dining room became lively with shouts and laughter.

Carter's eyes light up when he explains how interior designer Lou Davies designed the restaurant to resemble the inside of a barbecue smoker.

Stage sets in a Ridley Scott film serve as integral parts of the story as well as backgrounds for the characters and action. Similarly, the design of Smokestak becomes an accompaniment to the barbecue, cleverly reinterpreting a Texas tradition that is as much about sight, sound and feel as it is about the taste of charred meat and the fragrance of burning wood.

And.......Red's True Barbecue, 54-56 Great Eastern St, Shoreditch EC2A 3QR, UK

And.......TEXAS JOE’S SLOW SMOKED MEATS
98 Holloway Road
London, Greater London N7 8JE

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do NOT volunteer for that job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I do NOT volunteer for that job.

If you'll pay expenses, I'll step up in your spot. Nasty job but it needs to be done.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine what that stuff must taste like?

The Australians ruined Mexican food for me. It took about three years and 10,500 miles to get their version out of my system.

UK BBQ? They would have to pry my mouth open.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I stopped at Jordan's BBQ in Farmersville, Texas Tuesday. I "landed" there about 1:00pm.

The owner was there visiting with two friends that were eating when I walked in. One other table was occupied for a minute or two. About twenty tables were empty. One young lady was working behind the counter. That was it. If I wanted to rob the place, 1:00pm would be a good time.

The place is very nice and clean. A real small town vibe working. You'll drive by it before you see it on the square. No sign out front, just painted on the window.

I ordered the two meat plate with brisket and ribs. The plate was $13.00 with two sides. I chose the green beans and "spicy" pinto beans. The pinto beans weren't spicy. The green beans were very good. Tasted home made but probably weren't. I got the tail end of the brisket point. It was OK, but a little too fatty for my liking. The ribs were spectacular. Very meaty, perfect bark on the outside, and perfect bite, leaving your bite mark and requiring a hint of a pull.

They had spicy and regular sauce. I chose the spicy, and it was excellent. Not overly spicy, but definitely spicy.

They gave me one piece of bread. I could have used three.

The sweet tea was good.

I have a feeling the owner is a micro-manager, or else the girl was new. She didn't know any answers to any questions, and he stayed on the phone for the most part.

The tools were plastic, but of sufficient quality not to break on you. A napkin came in the little plastic pouch with the tools. I unfolded it, and found it to be about 6" x 6" and thin enough to read a magazine through. I started looking around for a roll of paper towels on the tables, and found none. Finally I spotted one roll of paper towels back up at the counter. I would have appreciated a heads-up when I ordered so I wouldn't have to get up and walk over to get me something to wipe my mouth.

The place has been there for 30+ years. I view it as mainly for locals. I wouldn't drive out of my way to get there, and I would have to drive by Hutchins in McKinney to get to Jordan's, and that's not going to happen.

I will remember those ribs for a long while though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The place has been there for 30+ years. I view it as mainly for locals. I wouldn't drive out of my way to get there, and I would have to drive by Hutchins in McKinney to get to Jordan's, and that's not going to happen.

I will remember those ribs for a long while though.

Damn city folks are so spoiled. It's all of 20 miles from your house. We routinely drive 50 miles one way for Sam Adams draft beer. Of course, we ain't bypassing much on the way. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another BBQ Master Class involving Hutchin's.

"This Saturday at Crest Cadillac / Infiniti
(The new Crest Dealership is located at 121 & Legacy in Frisco, TX.) Tomorrow, Dustin Blackwell from Hutchins Barbecue will be there teaching a BBQ Pit Master Class from 11am-2pm. He will teach and prepare brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chicken, plus their famous broccoli slaw. Everyone who attends will eat a ton of barbecue during the class plus Lone Star Taps & Caps will be there to pour craft beers for everyone to enjoy! All for only $50 per person!"

They are going to over-saturate the market if they keep this up.....if it is possible to oversaturate the beer and BBQ market in Texas. The fact that this class is offered at half price the day before the event tells you something about the response they got.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow. I dipped back into this great thread because I had forgotten what Gato thought of the Salt Lick, the only Texas Q joint I have been to.
I have Aaron Franklin's book, as well as Meathead Goldwyn's. One o' these days I will screw up my courage and try a brisket on my gasser with smoke tube.
Kensco, you're killing me with all these pit master class listings!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Wow. I dipped back into this great thread because I had forgotten what Gato thought of the Salt Lick, the only Texas Q joint I have been to.
I have Aaron Franklin's book, as well as Meathead Goldwyn's. One o' these days I will screw up my courage and try a brisket on my gasser with smoke tube.
Kensco, you're killing me with all these pit master class listings!

Salt Lick is ok BBQ. The ambiance definitely helps it, along with BYOB.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
DCS: That was my memory of the Salt Lick: OK, but I just knew there had to be better. After all, this is Texas for gosh sakes!
Loved the sliders and steak at Tim Love's Lonesome Dove in the FW Stockyard district.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have another entrant in the North Texas BBQ scene. Planoprofile had a write-up this month on Nate's BBQ TO-GO in Carrollton; 2009 W. Hebron Pkwy to be exact.

http://www.carrolltonbbqcatering.com/

Being single for two more weeks, I may give this a go. Pickings in my refrigerator are getting pretty slim.

Nate's is closed on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday; and also Saturday morning. (If you have to have coleslaw, forget about it. It ain't happenin' here.)

Time will tell if he can compete being surrounded by Old House, Chasin' Tail, Spring Creek, Hard Eight, Bone Daddy's, Dickey's, Smokies, and Red Hot & Blue. You can't fire a shot in North Dallas without hittin' a BBQ joint.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a job near Wharton, TX last week and stopped at a place called The Witt Pitt in Rosenberg on my way out of town. Quaint little place and the brisket was some of the best I've had.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, my knees have gotten to the point where sitting down in jon boat for hours makes it very difficult to stand up after fishing. To solve this problem, I drove over to Pond King boats,(www.pondking.com) about 6 mi W of Gainesville, Tx on 82. They manufacture a line of mini pontoon boats that with their pedestal seats looked like a possible solution for the above problem. Highly recommended for Texas pond owners.

On the way back, passing thru Sherman, with a Pond King pontoon boat in back of truck, for a late lunch, I stopped in at......

#114)Cackle and Oink 3210 Texoma Pkwy, Sherman, TX located about 1/2 mi N of 82. 3.75/5 Stars

Truthfully I wasn't expecting much, but I was to be pleasantly surprised. Very friendly counter man served me a brisket plate and I got a couple of slabs of ribs "World's Third Best" from major rib contest scoring as I was told when I asked him about the ribs.

The brisket was quite good, tender with a good smoke flavor. 4.25/5 Stars. Plate had a lot of brisket on it and came with my choice of potato salad (2.5), fair, mustard flavored, and beans (2.25). Again, fair.

I ordered a couple of slabs of ribs, sold by the slab, to take home for the family.
Ribs were slightly disappointing, typical contest type ribs, (I have judged a couple of Q cookoffs and the contestants basically have only one bite to grab judge's attention and they work at making that bite interesting, but usually not hot), nice rub, but mild. I like my Q to reach out and grab my taste buds saying, "I'm IT, taste no further". These ribs, while tasty, were a solid product, that wouldn't win any of my personal Q contests. 2.75/5 Stars

** Stars Worthy of a stop in an area that is somewhat of a quality Q desert.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I revisted an old location last Wed in Longview. I drove down there from home for lunch. A sacrifice on my part, because driving S on 259 is a pain because of many small communties with low speed limits which are often vigorously enforced, a common fund raiser in Texas, a fact that visitors from out of state often find out. And the fines are substantial, over $200 for a few miles over in many places. Don't ask how I know. Mad

At any rate, I went to:

quote:

posted 24 September 2009 12:32 Hide Post
21) Bodacious Bar-B-Q, 2227 S. Mobberly St, Longview, Tx.

This is a loose end I've been wanting to tie up for a while. Duggaboye recommended it some months back and I mistakenly went to another location (N. 6th St) in Longview (see previous review) which is a worthwhile Q joint in it's own right.

This is the original Bodacious location and is still owned by the wife of the founder. Her daughter's boyfriend was the very friendly person who took our order and talked to us a bit. He had just returned from a "fill in" for her daughter's Bodacious in San Angelo, which is a pretty fair piece from Longview.

Cooking is done on electric smokers using mostly Ok Mesquite (!) according to above information source. A purist, which I am to some extent, would prefer open flames, but it is hard to argue with their results.

This stop was kind of an afterthought, my wife and I went down to Kilgore to pick up a shotgun I had purchased and we drove rt by this place on the way back to one of our favorite Mexican restaurants in the area, Posados in Longview, as well. I asked her if we wanted to buy some Q to go for dinner. Sure, so we ordered 2 pounds brisket, 2 pounds ribs, and wound up with 2 pounds of cut pork shoulder (Boston Butt) as well. Normally they only "pull" the shoulder, but the guy was nice enough to say, if you want it cut, I'll cut it. Pork was really exceptional, smoked first and cooked in foil for tenderness. Great flavor and char.
Brisket was good, but not great, probably a bit more moist than the one we had at the other Bodacious but not as well smoked. Ribs were somewhat different than the other Bodacious as well. In spite of my professed preference for unsweet Q, these had a somewhat sweet finish with a bit of pepper and were tender and well smoked. I'd say they were equally as good as the ribs at the other Bodacious but undoubtedly prepared by different pitmasters. Sauce was basically the same as the other Bodacious, tomato based, somewhat sweet, but decent. Considering some of the sauces I've had lately, "decent" is a big improvement. The other Bodacious on 6th may be owned by a different person, I forgot to ask. Quite a few of the Bodacious' are, such as the disaster I reviewed in Mt. Pleasant. I sampled just enough to get an opinion after we ordered and then went on to Posados Restaurant (highly recommended). Opinion was confirmed last night.

Overall grade A---, highly recommended.

Since my last visit, this Bodacious has been mentioned on TMBBQ.com (very highly recommended site run by Texas Monthly and their Q editor Daniel Vaughn who has one of the best jobs in America, getting paid to travel and sample Q)and was chosen in the LATEST Texas Montly "Top 50" with a score of 4.75, just a notch below tying for Best in Texas. Personally, I think the Top 50 is a good guide for good Q, but not nearly as definitive of great Q locations as one would think.

I went to Bodacious this time, specifically because they have started offering Boudin made with Burnt Ends of Brisket. Somewhere I read they only did this on Wed, so last Wed, off I went. I don't think the "Wed Only" is current, you might call them and check if that is the object of your visit.
In the article on the boudin there was a pic of the handwritten sign offering it for $2.50/link. This is not longer the price, it is now $4.00/link and DEFINITELY not worth it IMO. Supposedly they followed Louisiana directions in making their boudin, but, if so, the guy who gave them directions was a long time gone from Louisiana. Kind of came across as mashed meat in a casing. Little spice flavor, and very little to no rice. $4 link weighed at most 6 ounces which made it a rip off on price alone. 2.0/5.0 Avoid.

There was a short line, on a rainy day, which was not a problem so AFA the rest of their Q went, it was disappointing as well. The Brisket was gorgeous. I got the first cuts off a whole brisket, by luck, and ordered a pound of fatty end, sliced thick. This amounted to 4 slices, which were all one could hope for in a brisket, dark exterior rubbed with what is a sort of Central Texas Q standard of salt and cracked peppercorns, dead tender BUT it had no flavor. I don't know how they do it and have it looking that good. 2.0/5.0

The ribs were the best of the bunch, slightly sweet rub, very good. 4.0/5.0

They had free beans with your order, which were excellent. 4.75/5.0

My overall rating for the joint, 3.00/5.00, and I am thinking that I went there on a bad day for their meats. I have absolutely no idea how they could have scored in the Top 50 based on what I had.

* One Star, and probably worth a stop off of I-20 (not too far north) because I think/hope they can do better.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Continuing in my quest for Q, on Thursday, I met my friend, business associate, and fellow Qphile at.......

#115 Smoke, 2227 S. Mobberly, Dallas Tx. My overall rating 3.0/5.0, good but better Q joints close by.

Due to the rash of interstate construction in Dallas recently, I feared that Smoke might be hard to find. It wasn't, go past DT W on I-30 to the Sylvans exit (keep to right as you get on bridge), go North on Sylvans to Ft. Worth Ave, turn left and Smoke is right there with a big black on white sign saying, "Smoke" with easily accessible parking.

We/I really had high hopes for this joint. I was expecing something on the order of Lamberts in DT Austin, but it was not up to that level. It was said to be haute Q cuisine, having won a James Beard Award for the cookbook based on chef/owner's recipes. Perhaps we wanted real Q too badly, but we skipped the many smoked meat dishes, and, after discussing the "to go boxes" situation with our very friendly and nice waitress ordered the following, even to we were only 2, albeit hungry, people:
"Family Style BBQ Board (Feeds 3-4) $67.95
Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket, Ham, House-Smoked Thick Cut Bacon & Turkey with Mustard Seed Potato Salad, Blue Cheese Coleslaw, Pickles & Parker House Rolls"

It was indeed a massive quantity of meat. Several pounds worth, attractively served on a large platter. Frankly it looked better than it was. IMO the star was the potato salad which was small new potatoes sliced with a hint of blue cheese in the mix. A dish I want to imitate at home. 5.0/5.0 Brisket was the next best somewhat overcooked/dry. but still quite good. 3.75/5.0 The smoked turkey was as good as the brisket. Thick slices with good smoke flavor. 4.5/5.0 Bacon was interesting with a couple of large whole slices about 3/8 inch thick. Good, 4.0/5.0 Ham was dry and thin, poor, 2.75/5.0 Ribs were chopped mush. smoky but poor texture. 2.0/5.0 Coleslaw was good, kind of standard slaw IMO with no real blue cheese flavor that I could detect. 2.5/5.0

They had 4 types of sauce, one a honey mustard and 3 others which were hard to catagorize, I'd call them normal, vinegar, and spicy. All were good, none great.

We left with each of us having a full plate of to go Q. Really if you counted the extra meal effect of the to go, the price was not bad at all.

All in all, not a good dining experience. I would suggest that any future diners order dishes that appeal to them off of menu, and don't count on it as a Texas Q experience.

** Two stars, do your research and there is better, cheaper in area.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent photo-essay on world's largest barbecue....... here

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
More good reading if you hit Gato's link, then hit the header "BBQ" on the Texas Monthly page.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can certainly understand why....

quote:
Smoke in Dallas is still going strong, but the restaurant’s second location, which opened in Plano in 2015, has closed its doors.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you in and around the North Dallas area on a Saturday, try stopping by Oak Highlands Brewery between noon and 3:00pm if you like craft beer and BBQ. They cook BBQ in the parking lot with a very nice eating area inside.

They have the meats as Arby's says. There's brisket, two versions of chicken (jerk & not), two versions of sausage (hot & not), pulled pork sandwiches, two versions of (big) pork ribs (jerk & not). The jerk versions take about two bites before you start feeling the heat. Sides are potato salad and beans. Comes with a piece of Texas toast. The sauce is inside with the tools and the paper towels.

You get about twice the food of most "real" BBQ restaurants. (If you say "chicken", you get half a chicken.)

You get one meat and they throw in a choice of sausage, the sides, and toast for a total of $10. Beer costs $5.

The address is 10484 Brockwood Road, Dallas. (Think Miller Road and 635.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the suggestion and I plan on trying it, but I would also have enjoyed a better review of the Q.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
So who burned down Franklin Barbecue, Franklin or one of his jealous competitors?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Q joints burn all the time, common occurence. Considering how much money Franklin was making burning briskets, it was not him. I predict he will be back shortly.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Whaaaat? Very sorry to hear this. I have learned a lot watching Aaron's Youtubes and reading his book.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
His YouTube videos and his PBS programs are the BBQ Bible to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went back to Oak Highlands Brewery Saturday for a few beers with my son and two other friends. (They hadn't been there before.) I had the brisket and sausage. My son had the ribs and sausage. Being a friend's work, I'm biased, so I won't critique it, although I thought my son's ribs needed a little more time on the smoker; probably the difference between getting there at 12:30pm instead of 2:30pm.

I'll leave the grading to Gato if he gets that way. At $10 for two meats, two sides, and two pieces of bread, I'm OK.

I'm a Coors Light or Bud Light Lime guy, so I can't really critique their beer either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll leave the grading to Gato if he gets that way. At $10 for two meats, two sides, and two pieces of bread, I'm OK.

Looking for cheap barbecue meals are we?
Just buy some bologna and a box of wooden matches along with a loaf of bread. Cheap.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,just for grins;I grew up in Wichita Falls,(havent been there in years) but for a few family events.Point here is that every Sunday after church in the late 50's,early 60's all of the family would meet at Luby's or Underwoods BBQ. Memory says that it was very good. Have you tried it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheap? Wasn't that the reason you told me you buy the steaks you buy?

Just buy some bologna, skip the box of wooden matches, and get a loaf of bread. Cheap.

If they ever make little sweaters for steaks, buy them. You don't want your steak getting first-degree burns, you just want him to go, "damn, it's warm in here!"