THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    My double drop tine buck from this weekend (story, pictures, and video)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My double drop tine buck from this weekend (story, pictures, and video)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It all started about five years ago. I first took note of a decent little buck that I estimated to be 4.5 years old. He wasn’t anything special but just had that look. It’s just a feeling that’s hard to describe but it’s mainly about the frame.

The years went by and he slowly progressed. Several people said I ought to think about taking him out but it was always give him another year. At 5.5 and 6.5 he always averaged around 150. At 7.5 he made a little jump and was estimated at 165-170. Naturally it was give him another year. It helps to have a high fence and not have to worry about the neighbors getting him.

That brings us to the present year. August came around and it was time to start getting the ranch in order for the season. Although it was very hot my wife and I decided to take a ride and sling a little corn. I was really interested in finding this deer to see if he had made a jump. We parked and got out the binoculars and spotting scope. Within ten minutes this buck comes walking out.

I remember telling my wife that it looks like we’re going to have a good year. Not bad for the first buck to been seen this year. Eventually he moved off and we headed back to the house. I had plenty of time to make a decision as to whether to try to shoot him or not.

September went by pretty fast and the next thing you know it was close to the season opener for MLD3 properties. We could legally start gun hunting on October 3. I wanted my ranch partner in on the hunt but he had an Aggie football game to attend that weekend. So we decided to hunt him the following weekend.

Friday morning came and we were packing up to leave. My partner Ronnie called and asked if I had been watching the radar. It looked like the ranch was getting some rain. I replied that it always looks that way on the radar but then nothing happens. It’s on!
We arrived to find three inches in the rain gauge as well as part of the roof off the south porch laying in the front yard. We decided to fix the roof and do some other projects to give the ground time to dry out. The hunt would start Saturday afternoon.

We had quite the entourage that wanted to be in on the hunt. My wife, my ranch partner Ronnie, his son-in-law Justin, and Judd, a friend of his. We took two vehicles and headed out. Slung some corn in the areas the buck was known to travel and waited. Nothing was moving. We decide to leave one group there while we went to another spot where the buck had also been seen. Nothing but a few does, fawns and small bucks. It was extremely muggy and hot. We called it a day when shooting light faded.

Sunday morning was a little cooler with a slight breeze. The entourage took a while to get rolling. Finally around 7:30 we were on the road to give it another try. I know that’s late for a lot of people but we have our “barometer” deer around the house. If they don’t move we don’t move. We arrived at the spot where the buck was first spotted. One vehicle parked on the hill while the other one slung corn down the pipeline right of way and returned to the hill.

Within ten minutes does and fawns starting coming out of the brush. Then the double drop tine stepped out about 150 yards away! He walked to the road and started eating corn. It was go time!

This was it. My stomach immediately filled up with butterflies. I remember taking a deep breath and reached for my pistol. It”s a custom .284 Remington XP100 bolt action single shot with a Leupold 2.5X scout scope. I grabbed a set of ear muffs and pulled a cartridge out of my pocket. My hands were a little shaky getting the shell in the chamber.

The buck was feeding away from us as I excited the vehicle and headed for the brush line. When his head was down I’d cover as much distance as possible. Then out comes a herd of javelina right between us. I keep moving forward and they start running off one by one. The buck looks back but then continues grazing. I make it to the bush that I had been using as cover. I got down on all fours and crawled into the middle of the road. The buck was roughly seventy-five yards away and unaware. A small diversion terrace was just tall enough to prevent me from getting a shot. So I crawled back behind the bush and waited. There was no shot unless I made it to the terrace.

I waited as he moved further away. When I felt the time was right I started the crawl to the terrace. Eventually I made it. The buck fever was getting intense. Then the gnats joined in. Buzzing my eyes and ears. I put on the ear muffs and ear gnats became eye gnats. The bipod went down and the pistol eased forward. The crosshairs were slightly off level so I dug a depression in the dirt for the right one. I took the excess dirt and moved it under the butt of the gun. It was steady as a rock.

Here we go! The buck was roughly 100 yards and facing away from me. I tried to make a noise to get him to turn broadside. My throat was too dry. My partner heard it and tried yelling to get the buck’s attention. He finally picks up his head and starts walking away. Now he was roughly 125 yards. I was just about to pull up and move again when a huge bobcat comes running across between the buck and I. This startled him a little and he turned broadside. It was now or never. The muzzle blast startled me. I look up and the buck is running down the right of way and cuts off into the brush.

I head back to the vehicles not knowing for sure if I connected. Everybody heard the bullet hit. Now we wait. It’s never a good feeling when a deer gets in the brush down here. I went with a lung shot so it wasn’t a surprise that this one did. We waited about fifteen minutes and headed down to take a look. The soft ground made for easy tracking. I missed where he turned to go in the brush and was turning around when Justin said “there he is.” That was music to my ears!

We rough scored him at 196 1/8. High fenced native South Texas whitetail.

Pardon the shaky video.

https://youtu.be/L8_AbXLCesA

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnificent trophy!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations -- damn fine buck.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Patience paid off on that big boy!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT'S a gorgeous buck! shocker
Damn jealous!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
very nice deer! I don't know if I could have stayed as calm as you for the long period of time waiting for him to turn broadside.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HellofaBUCK!!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man what a monster! Makes that rifle look really short. Big Grin

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Rewarded for patience!!

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow,what a Buck!!!Congrats Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Wow what an awesome buck, and what patience waiting for the right shot. Huge congrats on your hunt.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
Well done

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buck!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congrats!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Congratulations on a fine buck! That is an absolute brute of a deer.

Most of all, congrats to you and Ronnie for your management and stewardship of the El Mino. You guys have produced some outstanding deer doing it your way and at times, flying in the face of conventional wisdom among the deer "experts". This buck proves it! From being an average deer for the last couple of seasons to a 190"s buck... remarkable.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!!!!!!!!!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote