New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's DONE! (No 4 Mk1)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked it up from the smith today, was having the sights put on. Now I just have to go get it on paper and see how it does. Here's some pics:

All said and done, here's what I have in it:

Sporter No4 Mk1- $75
Stocks- $55
Sights- $35
Sight installation- $80
Bluiing- $80
Bolt work (jewelling, number removal, knob filled)- $40
Total: $365

Not too shabby for a cheap brush gun. It feels good and handles well. I hope it shoots all right. I may end up floating the bbl and putting a sling on it, but it'll go hunting as it is this year. This was a really fun project and came together pretty easy, just took time getting the bolt work and bluing done. If you need an inexpensive gun to use for hunting, I recommend an No4 Mk1!

Posts: 120 | Location: God's waiting room/Florida | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sleek&sweet Wink

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Your rifle looks great!

Where did you get the wood?

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jacko303.35
posted Hide Post
Right now I am weeping looking at the prices you paid for the various bits and pieces for your rifle Bigfatts - that $370 is only a 1/3 of what I have tied up in my new barrel and sights.

I assume it's still in .303 British and you have a 5 round magazine. Did that come with the Rifle or did you buy it seperately.

Lovely clean rifle

regards Jacko

"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin

Posts: 34 | Location: Sth East Qld Australia | Registered: 02 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanx guys!

Zeke: The wood is actually a mismatched set. The butt came from reloadersauctions and the forend came from Numrich via Ebay. The checkering isn't quite the same on the butt but I might be able to clean it up and make it look better.

Jacko: Yup, .303. The 5 rounder actually came with a Santa Fe sporter I bought for my wife (my next, next project). Her gun is getting a new production 5 rounder. She didn't care about the looks of the new one, I don't like them though. PS- That must be quite some project you're working on!

Posts: 120 | Location: God's waiting room/Florida | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my ""first "" was a 1918 SMELY,,,still have it,,,want one in .35 winchester,,,'til then,my .303 will do my pig huntin',an' with 215 woodlieghs,,it's my wild cow gun! dancing

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed! I have just aquired (gift) a semi sporterized model 5. My first thought was to make it orginal again, but I'm not able to find suitable parts.

So your rifle is giving me some ideas. But I need another hunting rifle like a hole in the head. What would a sport model 5 do that my winchester model 94 won't? But it would be a rifle of my own doing. Hmmmm.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the more of the "Speed" varieties of Enfields I see, the more intrigued I am...

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Larry, do you mean No.5 ? The No.1's were the WW1 models, the No.4's were the main WW2 models, with the No.5 being the Jungle Carbine version of the No.4. "MK" indicated differing changes on that particuliar No. rifle.
The No.5's I've had were hard kickers and poor in accuracy.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigFatts,
That is one nice rifle. I put a Mk 5 sporter together way back in the 60's. Your rifle makes it look trashie. Wish I still had it, I'd follow your lead. Nice job.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Larry, do you mean No.5 ? The No.1's were the WW1 models, the No.4's were the main WW2 models, with the No.5 being the Jungle Carbine version of the No.4. "MK" indicated differing changes on that particuliar No. rifle.
The No.5's I've had were hard kickers and poor in accuracy.

Yep, I'm talking about the "jungle carbine". The accuracy question I believe is a myth, based on what I've read on other surplus forums. This rifle is quite accurate. I agree it has a definite push and bark, which might make it unpleasant as a benchrest rifle, but of little consquence as a hunting rifle.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

let me ruin your day... wave Just kidding.

When Lee took the original design to Sharps Rifle Company back in the late 1870's it was in a one piece stock. I have seen a couple.

Ditch that collar and it is a gorgeous bolt rifle. The Brits, IIRC, did the two piece stock alteration to make stocking it about 1/3rd the cost of a one piece stock.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Nice looking rifle.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho: I've never seen an original one piece stocked Lee, but I saw a No4 one piece conversion the other day that was really intriguing. If it had been in better condition it would have come home with me. But the stock was in rough shape and I imagine a replacement would be impossible.

tin can: If you like that, here's my current project, a real Lee Speed, in .22 Hornet:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry etal; I have a Lee with a one piece stock I've been rejuvenating. Will gladly forward some pics. by Email to you / anyone who will post them on here. John 303.