THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    South Africa 603,338 Covid-19 cases 8-21-2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Africa 603,338 Covid-19 cases 8-21-2020
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Spanish flu, also known as the 1918 flu pandemic, was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic.

That was just over 100 years ago and I very much doubt was man-made as is the claim for COVID-19.

Between then and today the medical arena has made monumental strides so we should be looking ahead with more optimism.

From the African perspective and not implying its not going to happen, the virus has not exploded as it has done in the northern hemisphere; yes it could be due to a slow fuse but so far, Africa has not borne the brunt anywhere close to disaster levels.

If its anything to go by, African countries and their respective populations have shown a more positive attitude in complying with the recommended restrictions, i.e. self distancing, wearing protective face masks even if they are home-made (better than no mask), staying indoors rather than gallivanting and protesting against what will do more good than harm.

RSA is set to lift the lock-down on 5th May and all the other African states south of the Sahara are not on lock-down other than the application of "closed borders".

Here's to hoping for that slow-burning fuse to fizzle out.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
The Spanish flu, also known as the 1918 flu pandemic, was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic.

That was just over 100 years ago and I very much doubt was man-made as is the claim for COVID-19.

Between then and today the medical arena has made monumental strides so we should be looking ahead with more optimism.

From the African perspective and not implying its not going to happen, the virus has not exploded as it has done in the northern hemisphere; yes it could be due to a slow fuse but so far, Africa has not borne the brunt anywhere close to disaster levels.

If its anything to go by, African countries and their respective populations have shown a more positive attitude in complying with the recommended restrictions, i.e. self distancing, wearing protective face masks even if they are home-made (better than no mask), staying indoors rather than gallivanting and protesting against what will do more good than harm.

RSA is set to lift the lock-down on 5th May and all the other African states south of the Sahara are not on lock-down other than the application of "closed borders".

Maybe so... and that is the point. Todays health system have the ability to fight the pandemic..and that takes the toll and all effort to prevent the pandemic to spread. This again means closed borders, closed airfares etc etc .. even though you make a slow return to normal life inside each community or country... I hope I am wrong, but I am afraid not.

Unfortunately if you look at the PHASA web pages you find a press statement/interview dated the 23rd of April with the Phasa President and he states that they do not see any hunting taking place in 2020.

Sorry...

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:
quote:

Maybe so... and that is the point. Todays health system have the ability to fight the pandemic..and that takes the toll and all effort to prevent the pandemic to spread. This again means closed borders, closed airfares etc etc .. even though you make a slow return to normal life inside each community or country... I hope I am wrong, but I am afraid not.

Unfortunately if you look at the PHASA web pages you find a press statement/interview dated the 23rd of April with the Phasa President and he states that they do not see any hunting taking place in 2020.

Sorry...

Morten

Time will tell as they say.

Here in the US, I have read of a number of facilities being closed that had been altered/constructed to handle the onslaught of patients. These closed without ever seeing a single patient.

I have read the PHASA press release. On the other hand, I just got an e mail from Namibia indicating that they believe they will be able to hunt "as early as June...…"

As I said before, time will tell. Personally, I am not optimistic for the season.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There are two scenarios.

1. As countries open up and try to get back to normal, the infections and deaths don’t sly through the roof.

We will see normality comes back much quicker than we thought, as everyone is looking forward to it.

2. As countries open up, contagion and death sky rockets.

Countries will lock down, and we can only guess how long it might take after that.

I am hoping for the first choice.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66937 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW: I just spoke with my Outfitter in Zimbabwe a few minutes ago, and he said that there doesn't seem to be much going on with the CV in Zim, and further related that he believes that we will still be doing our Leopard hunt together this year.

We are taking it day by day and seeing what the next few months bring....maybe most important of all is when the Airlines begin to fly again.

I am reading allot of doom and gloom from some people here, so hearing what I heard today from a guy who lives in Zimbabwe AND owns a Safari Company is GOOD NEWS.

Again, fingers crossed for this year

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
There are two scenarios.

1. As countries open up and try to get back to normal, the infections and deaths don’t sly through the roof.

We will see normality comes back much quicker than we thought, as everyone is looking forward to it.

Countries will lock down, and we can only guess how long it might take after that.

The problem is that there are a lot of really stupid people out there that do ridiculous things.

A buddy of mine lives in South Florida. He is dating this lawyer from Dallas. She caught the Corona virus. Yet, she was perfectly willing to get on a plane to fly to see my friend. Not a care in the world that might kill someone in the process. When he told her not to come because of the risk, he was "being a total fucking asshole."

People like her will determine which way this goes.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forget about the virus, your friend needs to get the hint for the longer term.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
There are two scenarios.

The problem is that there are a lot of really stupid people out there that do ridiculous things.

A buddy of mine lives in South Florida. He is dating this lawyer from Dallas. She caught the Corona virus. Yet, she was perfectly willing to get on a plane to fly to see my friend. Not a care in the world that might kill someone in the process. When he told her not to come because of the risk, he was "being a total fucking asshole."

Did you expect any sense from a woman?

And a lawyer to boot? rotflmo

Posts: 66937 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:
quote:

Sorry...

Morten

Time will tell as they say.

Here in the US, I have read of a number of facilities being closed that had been altered/constructed to handle the onslaught of patients. These closed without ever seeing a single patient.

I have read the PHASA press release. On the other hand, I just got an e mail from Namibia indicating that they believe they will be able to hunt "as early as June...…"

As I said before, time will tell. Personally, I am not optimistic for the season.

Larry, I’m in the construction industry and was involved in a few of these. I can confirm that they are halted.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There are two scenarios.

Never stick your dick in crazy.

DSC
SCI Life
NRA Life
WSF Life <1 Club

Posts: 177 | Location: Bitterroot Valley, MT | Registered: 02 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TGDjr:
quote:
quote:
There are two scenarios.

Never stick your dick in crazy.

Hard to do these days. We would all abstain.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There are two scenarios.

Larry - Lindy's birthday is today. In a somewhat indirect (I'm not suicidal) but direct way, I nixed a family gathering.

Of course, it was supposed to be predicated on social distancing. But I damned well KNEW that would be violated. Italians DO NOT social distance. They are genetically disabled. It's beyond their reasonable control. Witness recent events.

I bought a lot of flowers, but I am still persona non grata.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Tell her we said happy birthday!

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
a copy for tracking

quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Reporting to John Hopkins University..

Daily increases are being reported in a few African countries.

Country.......# Cases .....# deaths
Benin .................64 ...........1
Botswana ...........22 ...........1
Burkina Faso .....638 .........42
Cameroon .......1705 .........58
Congo ..............207 ...........8
DR Congo .........471 ..........30
Ethiopia ...........126 ............3
Kenya ..............374 ..........14
Mozambique .......76 ............0
Namibia .............16 ............0
South Africa .....4996 ..........93
Tanzania ...........299 ..........10
Uganda ...............79 ...........0
Zambia ...............95 ...........3
Zimbabwe ...........32 ...........4

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a copy for tracking

quote:
Reporting to John Hopkins University..

Daily increases are being reported in a few African countries.

Country.......# Cases .....# deaths
Benin .................64 ...........1
Botswana ...........22 ...........1
Burkina Faso .....638 .........42
Cameroon .......1705 .........58
Congo ..............207 ...........8
DR Congo .........471 ..........30
Ethiopia ...........126 ............3
Kenya ..............374 ..........14
Mozambique .......76 ............0
Namibia .............16 ............0
South Africa .....4996 ..........93
Tanzania ...........299 ..........10
Uganda ...............79 ...........0
Zambia ...............95 ...........3
Zimbabwe ...........32 ...........4

Bwana, I wouldn't put much faith in those numbers. Zim has only 32 cases?? They probably only had 32 test kitsWink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana 338, your John Hopkins University figures are grossly outdated; TZ has now "officially" reached 480 with only 16 dead.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bwana 338, your John Hopkins University figures are grossly outdated; TZ has now "officially" reached 480 with only 16 dead.

Thank you, If you look at the posting on page one you will see the current number that I found. the making a copy is to see how the changes are taking place.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
[Bwana, I wouldn't put much faith in those numbers. Zim has only 32 cases?? They probably only had 32 test kitsWink

Please look at the posting on page one for the current Zimbabwe cases, you will see that they list 40 as of yesterday.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I found this on the web.

Here’s what you need to know about the race to create a COVID-19 vaccine.

The world is creating this vaccine on a historically fast timeline.

Dr. Anthony Fauci has said he thinks it’ll take around eighteen months to develop a coronavirus vaccine. I agree with him, though it could be as little as 9 months or as long as two years.

Although eighteen months might sound like a long time, this would be the fastest scientists have created a new vaccine. Development usually takes around five years. Once you pick a disease to target, you have to create the vaccine and test it on animals. Then you begin testing for safety and efficacy in humans.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
[Bwana, I wouldn't put much faith in those numbers. Zim has only 32 cases?? They probably only had 32 test kitsWink

Please look at the posting on page one for the current Zimbabwe cases, you will see that they list 40 as of yesterday.

Official report from Zim

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is very strange that CV-19 is not wiping out thousands daily in southern Africa.

Over the past eight weeks, Namibia has had 16 cases total. Eight of those have recovered and zero have died.

Something is at play here that we do not fully understand.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
It is very strange that CV-19 is not wiping out thousands daily in southern Africa.

Over the past eight weeks, Namibia has had 16 cases total. Eight of those have recovered and zero have died.

Something is at play here that we do not fully understand.

Same here. I thought that with the lack of healthcare in say Zim for example, I thought that the disease would ravage the country....maybe the people there are are more resilient to such things than us?

Who knows?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have been saying for some time that if the virus was circulating here in January as is thought...that it for sure was circulating in Zimbabwe. There is heavy Chinese exposure there and with a good environment for transmission. If it were going to go there...it would have taken off preceding the USA.

There is a factor in which we do not know.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I have been saying for some time that if the virus was circulating here in January as is thought...that it for sure was circulating in Zimbabwe. There is heavy Chinese exposure there and with a good environment for transmission. If it were going to go there...it would have taken off preceding the USA.

There is a factor in which we do not know.

That makes ALLOT of sense! I bet that Zim WAS infected back then.

So why didn’t it kill a million people?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There aren't as many old sickly people in Zim and Namibia as there are in Italy and the USA .... in Africa, you are lucky to make it to 50 let alone 60 or 70.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So maybe it will leave Africa quickly...in the coming few months?

Airlines begin to fly again...maybe 2020 isn’t a bust?

I’m still hopeful

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Only First World numbers can be trusted.

And I do not count China in that category. They have no idea what is going on, owing to lack of testing, and the Communist government suppresses the truth on the number of infected people and the mortality rate in any case.

The Chicoms are scum in my book, and the world should hereafter shun and punish China until regime change finally happens. If we learn nothing more from this, we should learn that.

Aside from learning of the obvious mendacity of the Chicom government, we are also learning, and will learn more in the same vein, I expect, as more testing is done, that even First World numbers grossly undercount the number of infected people.

Many, if not most, infected people are asymptomatic and have no idea they are or were infected.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree 100% with Michael Robinson. Not sure why anyone would trust the Chicoms, Africans, Koreans, or any US Politician for that matter.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I don’t trust them at all. I was just reporting what Zim has down as official numbers. But I have good intel on the ground in Zim and have 2 friends in the hospital with snakebites one severe (who is getting better now but will require a skin graft). No one knows of any actively sick people. It is just not having much effect. The one person I know for sure that did die in Zim from COVID was an elderly white gentleman who contracted it from folks from Europe in a camp in Hwange. The only other known case I am aware of is my friend Nigel Theisen’s neighbor who caught it while in London and got home to the Falls before he got sick—he is fine now.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found this on the web.

Here’s what you need to know about the race to create a COVID-19 vaccine.

The world is creating this vaccine on a historically fast timeline.

Dr. Anthony Fauci has said he thinks it’ll take around eighteen months to develop a coronavirus vaccine. I agree with him, though it could be as little as 9 months or as long as two years.

Although eighteen months might sound like a long time, this would be the fastest scientists have created a new vaccine. Development usually takes around five years. Once you pick a disease to target, you have to create the vaccine and test it on animals. Then you begin testing for safety and efficacy in humans.

I heard a report on the BBC 3 days ago interviewing people in the US who are currently undergoing vaccine testing here. They skipped animal testing and participants agree to be guinea pigs. FDA approved the test.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

And I do not count China in that category. They have no idea what is going on, owing to lack of testing, and the Communist government suppresses the truth on the number of infected people and the mortality rate in any case.

The Chicoms are scum in my book, and the world should hereafter shun and punish China until regime change finally happens. If we learn nothing more from this, we should learn that.

Aside from learning of the obvious mendacity of the Chicom government, we are also learning, and will learn more in the same vein, I expect, as more testing is done, that even First World numbers grossly undercount the number of infected people.

Many, if not most, infected people are asymptomatic and have no idea they are or were infected.

China is relatively easy to check.

There are 4,123 (2019) Starbucks locations
There are 8,484 (2018) yum (kfc) locations
42 apple stores

Plenty of other western corporate retail and consumer locations. This is where market participants are checking Chinese covid and economic numbers.

Chinese government numbers are highly suspect. But corporate channel checks one can get a good sense if China is as badly ravaged by covid as the us or Western Europe.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

China is relatively easy to check.

There are 4,123 (2019) Starbucks locations
There are 8,484 (2018) yum (kfc) locations
42 apple stores

Plenty of other western corporate retail and consumer locations. This is where market participants are checking Chinese covid and economic numbers.

Chinese government numbers are highly suspect. But corporate channel checks one can get a good sense if China is as badly ravaged by covid as the us or Western Europe.

Mike

You only know what the bloody Commies wants you to know from China.

They are blackmailing anyone who dares question them.

If there was any justice, the world should boycott the bloody lot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We don't need to believe the numbers coming from Africa. If what we've been led to believe about the morbidity of this virus were true, we'd be seeing many thousands of people dying in the streets in every large city in Africa (from Cairo to Capetown) of respiratory failure.

Such scenes of death would be great fodder for our media and if they existed we'd sure as hell be seeing them.

Africa has densely populated cities (slums) with little "social distancing". What it doesn't have is a lot of elderly people in Nursing Homes who are vulnerable. It also doesn't have much obesity. Dirty little secret -- the reason blacks have been hit so hard in New York City and New Orleans is because obesity is rampant. More specifically, "metabolic syndrome" (a combination of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and hypertension) seems to make these people extremely vulnerable. Most older blacks in the US have metabolic syndrome to one degree or another. Sorry, but it's true.

When widespread antibody testing is finally available in Africa we will see that the Wuhan virus has already made it through the population without much visible effect. They will have herd immunity and it will be safer to travel there than to Europe or the US.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
John,
I believe you are 100% on all the above.

People let the media freak them out with this thing. Watch the data and use good common sense measures—all that is needed...as with most things in life.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
At this point in time, herd immunity is something that is being parroted around like it is a sure thing. It is far from it.

There are six known corona viruses that affect humans, not counting the new Covid 19. To date there has never been a vaccine developed that works very well with any of the existing corona viruses. What makes everyone think that the magic bullet will be found for the new novel corona virus??

In recent times we have seen everyone run in like sheep to get the winter "flu" shot, only to be told as time went by that it was not the right one for the various strains that proved to be the problem that year.......oh but they will help...maybe.

On top of this, the so called immunity that many talk about is usually fleeting with respect to the known corona viruses. It may last for a few months and get you out of the current flu season, but has usually worn off and you are back to square one the next year.

We won't even bother getting into the problems that arise from the viruses mutating.

I sincerely hope they do find a magic vaccine that works. Maybe with all the focus currently that will happen and time will tell. But in the mean time I won't be holding my breath and I will continue to just try and not put myself in a position that will get me infected.

I fall into the age class that has the most trouble, at the lower end of it, but I am over 60 by a couple years.

African outfitters, heck all outfitters in general, are in a bad spot right now. The client base that probably makes up 70 % of their customers are over 60 and many over 70. Between the threat of this virus and its spinoffs to tourism and travel of all kinds, and the economic mess that is depleting disposable/retirement income....well outfitted hunts are going to take a huge hit. The client base is going to shrink a bunch, and not for the short term, for the long term.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are six known corona viruses that affect humans, not counting the new Covid 19. To date there has never been a vaccine developed that works very well with any of the existing corona viruses. What makes everyone think that the magic bullet will be found for the new novel corona virus??

Very true and another point I have made before.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
But in the mean time I won't be holding my breath and I will continue to just try and not put myself in a position that will get me infected.

That should be practiced all the time and I agree. I am just not willing to change my life over a 1% chance of something untoward.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Appears that South Africa will close in on 10,000 cases on Monday.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...catches-who-epic-lie

"We Sent Them Samples Of A Goat, A Papaya & A Pheasant": Tanzanian President Catches WHO In Epic Lie

Mon, 05/11/2020 - 05:51

As the number of confirmed coronavirus cases explodes across Africa, the creeping involvement of the WHO has made some leaders suspicious of the NGO. Tanzanian President John Magufuli was growing suspicious of the organization, so he reportedly decided to investigate whether the organization was as trustworthy and reliable as it claimed to be.

He played what the local press described as "a trick" on the organization: He sent the WHO samples of a goat, a papaya and a quail for testing.

All three samples reportedly tested positive. When the president heard the news, he reportedly confronted the WHO, then kicked the organization out of the country. Though, to be sure, the WHO has yet to comment on the situation.

jumping

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote