THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Current Unrest In South Africa on Jailing of Zuma
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current Unrest In South Africa on Jailing of Zuma
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
News and video about riots, looting and burning in the Midlands came in this morning post jailing of Zuma. Military is on shoot-to-kill orders. Until this ends, travel to SA will be difficult. https://dl-mail.ymail.com/ws/d...IQhfzjhNgFlfrSCDJCaG

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Sounds a lot like Chicago, except their mayor is a Communist lesbian and rioters get out of jail after paying $500 bail.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
"My contacts tell me all is well and hunting can proceed as planned" - AR Booking agents.

Roll Eyes

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are advised by the giver not to travel to South Africa!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66975 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I’m scheduled to leave Wednesday night for my first Africa hunt. Overnight in JNB before heading to the Eastern Cape. Trip rescheduled from last year, new level 4 restrictions and now civil unrest…makes it seem it’s just not meant to be.

Would love to hear more thoughts on if we should even consider getting on the plane in 48 hours.

------------------------------------
Robbie Payne
Social Circle, GA

Posts: 6 | Location: Social Circle, Georgia | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is your outfitter telling you? I doubt that your outfitter would knowingly put you in a dangerous situation... Generally that's bad for business.

Aside from that: Is there any unrest in the East Cape? Are you overnighting inside the JNB airport? You're going to be spending your time in a rural area, and simply passing through 2 airports. So if nothing bad has happened in the East Cape, this is just me personally but I'd go hunting.

I was just in Zim last month. I had a great time & I'm going back in Aug, and just about to buy tickets through JNB to Bulawayo. I haven't heard of a problem at the airport, fastest route so I'm going that way.

You take a minor chance crossing the street. Sometimes you go somewhere that should be totally safe, and it goes sideways. I'm thinking of a particular country music festival in Vegas... Meanwhile, the week I spent in Chicago about 5 years ago was absolutely lovely.

If there has been serious unrest in the East Cape or your outfitter is at all "iffy" then they should push your dates back & let you come when it looks good.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just arrived at J-burg heading to Zim.

The place is dead- but then it’s 0400.

Posts: 10621 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the responses. Will talk to the outfitter again tomorrow but concern is not so much the Eastern Cape where they are so more insight on JNB and surrounding area is more insightful from folks here reporting first hand insight. As stated above, traveling through a couple of airports should not be a concern which is my current thinking as well. Currently scheduled to overnight at Afton…considering changing that to City Lodge. Also talking to some local business contacts in Johannesburg in the morning so I’ll report what I hear from them for others benefit.

------------------------------------
Robbie Payne
Social Circle, GA

Posts: 6 | Location: Social Circle, Georgia | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
https://www.news24.com/news24/...laces/eastern%20cape

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Friends in a Durban suburb (south coast) tell me the police and army is overwhelmed, streets and roads are closed and lots of buildings, etc are burning. Gunfire and explosions going on all over. They are terrified.

~Ann

Posts: 19166 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just arrived at J-burg heading to Zim.

Good luck and good hunting!

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Problem is how far you have to dive from Jburge to Safari camp. You will be fine in the bush but not so sure about traveling on highways. RSA does not have laws like the castle doctrine to protect you when your life is in danger. I was hunting near Rustenburg in 2012 during the Marikana massacre and riots. I knew things were getting real when other white families came to the camp to stay at night because the safari lodges are more secure. I refused to let them lock my guns in the safe at night until my friend explained that it was not about me protecting myself but protecting their families. His reason was because they will get the gun and use to kill us. That is standard SAP at many safari camps. Lock everything up and wait it out. Also remember that Press always makes it look worst than it is. My family was freaking out back then and I had no issues. I would still go on your hunt but no way in hell would I take my wife and kids.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have not seen a single report in the western press. Am I missing something or is it being ignored?

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And if they lock up the guns, then they cant get to them after they kill or beat you all up? Mind boggling logic!

quote:
Originally posted by Capt.Purvis:
Problem is how far you have to dive from Jburge to Safari camp. You will be fine in the bush but not so sure about traveling on highways. RSA does not have laws like the castle doctrine to protect you when your life is in danger. I was hunting near Rustenburg in 2012 during the Marikana massacre and riots. I knew things were getting real when other white families came to the camp to stay at night because the safari lodges are more secure. I refused to let them lock my guns in the safe at night until my friend explained that it was not about me protecting myself but protecting their families. His reason was because they will get the gun and use to kill us. That is standard SAP at many safari camps. Lock everything up and wait it out. Also remember that Press always makes it look worst than it is. My family was freaking out back then and I had no issues. I would still go on your hunt but no way in hell would I take my wife and kids.

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
The Eastern Cape is quite safe at present. Flying into Joburg and straight to the hunting area should be absolutely fine.
Incidentally, the jailing of Zuma was just a catalyst for criminal looting.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is a lot of the highways are blocked. Same thing happened in the W Cape about a year ago. I would not count on this staying confined to KZN and Gauteng (which is probably more than half the population). It's a political fist fight combined with a criminal slug fest.

If the organizers of this mess want to disrupt the country, OR Tambo is a target. Ever seen a jumbo jet burn?

I would also not discount a military coup.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BBC has covered it. You won't see much in the USA, the media are too political. They only cover events that suit their narrative. Mandela and the ANC are Obama's friends. Biden even went there to kiss Mandela's ring .. but he got arrested!

Now if the riots had taken place 40 years ago, they would be covering them 24x7.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Tucker is covering.
RSA current riots

I made a call today. It is a lot of violence throughout Natal especially big cities like Durban. Going to be a long night. North West Province seems to be fine but do not spend the day shopping in Jburge. This will be much different then past riots if Army does not get involved. Some of the SAP have ran out of ammo and were getting rounds from private citizens. It will not be good if Zuma supporters go into high income neighborhoods. His supporters are getting bused in to certain areas.
Indians have burned down one of the big slums near Durban. Media is not covering all of the videos. Some of you may remember what Zuma has said about whites in the past. A buddy shared a voice text that was sent from one farmer to another neighboring farmer and the last thing he said was don't miss. Thoughts and prayers are with all of our South African friends.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tucker is covering.
RSA current riots

I made a call today. It is a lot of violence throughout Natal especially big cities like Durban. Going to be a long night. North West Province seems to be fine but do not spend the day shopping in Jburge. This will be much different then past riots if Army does not get involved. Some of the SAP have ran out of ammo and were getting rounds from private citizens. It will not be good if Zuma supporters go into high income neighborhoods. His supporters are getting bused in to certain areas.
Indians have burned down one of the big slums near Durban. Media is not covering all of the videos. Some of you may remember what Zuma has said about whites in the past. A buddy shared a voice text that was sent from one farmer to another neighboring farmer and the last thing he said was don't miss. Thoughts and prayers are with all of our South African friends.

Yes, I was exchanging messages with a guy in the EC. His neighbor was in a bad mess and he was heading to assist.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
And if they lock up the guns, then they cant get to them after they kill or beat you all up? Mind boggling logic!

quote:

I don't understand this either. What was the plan? To at least run into the bush and hide until they left or stay and beg not to be bludgeoned to death and hope for the best?

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I was chatting with a PH in Durban today. He has clients that have arrived and some additional hunters driving on Wednesday. Come Friday they plan to be in the field to start hunting.

There is burning and looting of grocery, liquor, hardware, electronic stores. There will be little food available in stores that have survived the looting in a day or two.

Some roads are blocked, other are not. The military (far too few from what numbers that was put out) has been mobilized to try and stop the looting. That will be interesting to follow.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1576 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pass for now

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pass for now

For sure....not worth it. I'll hunt Alaska and Canada until Africa get back to normal, if that ever happens.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AXEL19:
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:

quote:

I don't understand this either. What was the plan? To at least run into the bush and hide until they left or stay and beg not to be bludgeoned to death and hope for the best?

At the time, it was not my choice for a plan of defense. My room was an outbuilding from the main part of the lodge. Their fear was they would attack that building first and use my guns against them. You also have to consider nervous American clients with loaded guns. You do not want them shooting the staff as they are bringing them their morning coffee. I am certain that someone would of used our guns for defense if the situation intensified. This place also had an armed response security service. Army and Police were all over those rioters in 2012. Not the case with this situation.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/...gle-looting-violence

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
It’s not getting to camp that would worry me.. It’s getting back to the airport and out of the country if things got worse…

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Truckers are going to stop delivering coal to power plants due to danger on highway. No power, booze or food supply. Hope you like eating pap. Is the N1 and N4 even open? Most dangerous thing about hunting in Africa is speeding in the buggy with your PH. Getting chased down dusty roads by pissed off members of the ANC would make a memorable trip.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
It’s not getting to camp that would worry me.. It’s getting back to the airport and out of the country if things got worse…

Exactly!

That my worst fear in a situation like this.

Add COVID changing uncertainty.

Posts: 66975 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:

EXACTLY!!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
What is your outfitter telling you? I doubt that your outfitter would knowingly put you in a dangerous situation... Generally that's bad for business.

Aside from that: Is there any unrest in the East Cape? Are you overnighting inside the JNB airport? You're going to be spending your time in a rural area, and simply passing through 2 airports. So if nothing bad has happened in the East Cape, this is just me personally but I'd go hunting.

I was just in Zim last month. I had a great time & I'm going back in Aug, and just about to buy tickets through JNB to Bulawayo. I haven't heard of a problem at the airport, fastest route so I'm going that way.

You take a minor chance crossing the street. Sometimes you go somewhere that should be totally safe, and it goes sideways. I'm thinking of a particular country music festival in Vegas... Meanwhile, the week I spent in Chicago about 5 years ago was absolutely lovely.

If there has been serious unrest in the East Cape or your outfitter is at all "iffy" then they should push your dates back & let you come when it looks good.

Got back from a safari yesterday. Dropped my tracker off in his area. ( Shantytown). Dropped my hunters off. Apart from seeing soldiers on the ground, I didn't see anything different in the EC.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Have not seen a single report in the western press. Am I missing something or is it being ignored?

Europe for example won’t make any deal out of it as would be “racist” and don’t want repeat of the blm shite about George Floyd

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The West created this.

Now they pretend it does not exists.

What is even worse, they are tolerating the creation of new racism in their own countries.

You are guilty by the color of your skin!

One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Everyone wants to always point out race. That is fine but at some point people have to take accountability for the actions of their race.

When we get a hurricane and loose power on the East coast, who is the first race group to start busting windows and looting?

Last summer, who was doing the majority of the looting throughout the cites in America?

Who do you currently see looting in South Africa?

It does not take a high IQ to understand why one race has the highest percentage of incarceration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The West created this.

Now they pretend it does not exists.

What is even worse, they are tolerating the creation of new racism in their own countries.

You are guilty by the color of your skin!

????

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everyone wants to always point out race. That is fine but at some point people have to take accountability for the actions of their race.

When we get a hurricane and loose power on the East coast, who is the first race group to start busting windows and looting?

Last summer, who was doing the majority of the looting throughout the cites in America?

It does not take a high IQ to understand why one race has the highest percentage of incarceration.

BOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36609 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You speak the truth!

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The mindset of the black man has never broad him far.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
BBC has covered it. You won't see much in the USA, the media are too political. They only cover events that suit their narrative. Mandela and the ANC are Obama's friends. Biden even went there to kiss Mandela's ring .. but he got arrested!

Now if the riots had taken place 40 years ago, they would be covering them 24x7.

Photo on the front page of today's WSJ.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post