THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What if a hunter does cancel due to the virus?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What if a hunter does cancel due to the virus?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have to agree with Saeed. If the hunter cancels, it is the hunters issue.

People need to stop buying the media hype, especially in the US. COVID-19 has less than a 3% death rate and it's almost always the elderly or medically compromised.

"Nations are closing borders, stocks are plummeting and a New York Times headline reads: “The Coronavirus Has Put the World’s Economy in Survival Mode.” Both political parties have realized the crisis could severely impact the November elections — House, Senate, presidency. And sacré bleu, they’ve even shuttered the Louvre! Some of these reactions are understand*able, much of it pure hysteria. Meanwhile, the spread of the virus continues to slow. More than 18,000 Americans have died from this season’s generic flu so far, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2018, the CDC estimated, there were 80,000 flu deaths. That’s against 19 coronavirus deaths so far, from about 470 cases."

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
This was shared online by a relative who is an MD and head of the ICU at Ohio State University Medical Center.

https://slate.com/technology/2...3Shj-nHppzAKFwtdD5CE

In essence, this is being way overblown and healthy people have little to worry about.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
This was shared online by a relative who is an MD and head of the ICU at Ohio State University Medical Center.

https://slate.com/technology/2...3Shj-nHppzAKFwtdD5CE

In essence, this is being way overblown and healthy people have little to worry about.

Thank you for sharing...Some of the same information that my wife has been passing on to me from the American Nurse Association.

And Ohio does have some great departments.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
You won’t catch me dead on a cruise ship!

Being stuck on a floating coffin with 7000 soles is not my idea of fun.

Gee Saeed, I am starting to like you more every day. I thinking my comments to my wife were close to what you put in print.

On the other hand we have friends who think that the large cruise ships are the way to go. All that they can talk about is the food.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Great Andrew... hunted with 3 other guys in the Karamojo North concession of Uganda Wildlife Safaris. We shot 12 buffalo on that trip. I shot a Nile Buffalo, Cape Buffalo and a very nice old scrum cap! Also took Guenther's Dik Dik and a huge bodied Uganda warthog, weighed at 100 kilos even! Spent a few days in Aswa Lolim then I headed back. Rest of the guys are on to the Kafu River Basin. I've "been there, done that" so I just got home after a couple of weeks.

Sounds proper. Look forward to a report.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
quote:
You won’t catch me dead on a cruise ship!

Being stuck on a floating coffin with 7000 soles is not my idea of fun.

Gee Saeed, I am starting to like you more every day. I thinking my comments to my wife were close to what you put in print.

On the other hand we have friends who think that the large cruise ships are the way to go. All that they can talk about is the food.

I have a friend who only goes on holiday on cruise ships!!

He goes on cruises in the Far East.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66938 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is some excellent up to date from The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/

Here is an up to date map of cases

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/op...40299423467b48e9ecf6

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Just got back from a couple of weeks hunting Uganda. Flew Qatar through Doha - route IAH-DOH-ENT. No issues other than about of a third of people in the Hammad Airport were wearing masks. Like Ebola, (which when the outbreak was on I flew to safari in Cameroon) your chance of contracting COVID-19 are slight. Certainly chances are next to nil if you stay at home, but that is always the case in life.

Go on safari. If all airports close and the world ends and you can't get there certainly you are due a refund. If not, don't let the media and the widespread panic scare you away from a good time.

A safari and a cruise are two very different trips, you will be in a concession with few people and have a greater chance of contracting malaria than COVID-19. In a month or so this will blow over, don't postpone your life based on fear...

Spoken like a man. Everywhere (especially in Africa but pretty much everywhere) the perception of risk from afar is so much greater than the risk itself on the ground.

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 382 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DLS- Thanks for that. Thought accurate reporting was extinct.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In DFW on the way to Uganda. Really don’t care about Corona Virus. Between Corona, Ebola and locusts I figure they all cancel one another out. Looking forward to hunting with an old Army buddy. Karamoja bound!

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaglav:
In DFW on the way to Uganda. Really don’t care about Corona Virus. Between Corona, Ebola and locusts I figure they all cancel one another out. Looking forward to hunting with an old Army buddy. Karamoja bound!

Good luck.

I hope you have a fantastic time.

Posts: 66938 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I have to speak up for the 99% who have a job and need that job to pay bills....

Taking the time off for the hunt has been has been planned. Paying for the hunt has been factored into the budget.
Spending 14 days in quarantine has not and would be a killer to business and finances.

I don't want to return from a wonderful adventure and spend two weeks at an Army base in TX.

I expect my PH to be accepting of my decision to cancel if I chose not to take the risk of a 10 day hunt turning into a 24 hunt.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:
Guess I have to speak up for the 99% who have a job and need that job to pay bills....

Taking the time off for the hunt has been has been planned. Paying for the hunt has been factored into the budget.
Spending 14 days in quarantine has not and would be a killer to business and finances.

I don't want to return from a wonderful adventure and spend two weeks at an Army base in TX.

I expect my PH to be accepting of my decision to cancel if I chose not to take the risk of a 10 day hunt turning into a 24 hunt.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

You are of course at liberty to cancel.

But I think it is not fair at all to expect the ph to bear the cost.

Depends on what agreement you have with him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just flew through Doha. Flights were full, and the airport was busy as typical for Doha. More folks with surgical masks than usual, but that's about it.

Seems most folks aren't buying into the hysteria.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
locusts I figure they all cancel one another out.

Yep... all that BS about locusts eating up everything in east Africa was just that... BS! Didn't see any plague level insects except tetse flies in Dik Dik country!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone in my Papau New Guinea offshore trip vote unanimously to postpone the trip as did the organizer of the trip.

End of day you really don’t want to be an American flying thru Australia or Singapore or Manila to Port Moresby. If anything happens quarantine wise neither Australia nor Singapore or Philippines is going to let an America transit thru country and you are stuck in Port Moresby till US govt decides to get you out.

Not worth the hassle and few Singapore based guys were prohibited by the employers from going on non essential trips.

Outfitter providing letters that trip is cancelled so trip insurance pays for tickets ect. There is a out for pandemics in most travel insurance docs.

There is what the cdc is saying

https://www.businessinsider.co...ies-stay-home-2020-3

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

You are of course at liberty to cancel.

But I think it is not fair at all to expect the ph to bear the cost.

Depends on what agreement you have with him.

The cost of the trip is one thing.

Time out of the office is another.

Doubling the time out would be a real problem.

If I chose to cancel a hunt, that would be on me. The PH has likely held this spot for me forever and has no time or chance to resell.

So we would make a plan for me to compensate.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Totally agree. I hope my PH is willing to use my deposit for a hunt next year before my airline "voucher" expires. If not, he can keep my deposit and I will find another outfitter for next year.

We don't fly until April 17th. Hoping the dust will be settling.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Totally agree. I hope my PH is willing to use my deposit for a hunt next year before my airline "voucher" expires. If not, he can keep my deposit and I will find another outfitter for next year.

We don't fly until April 17th. Hoping the dust will be settling.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

not really fair to the ph.....how does he rebook a hunt on such short notice?.......bob

Posts: 40 | Location: lewistown Montana | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Israel

India

Both banned tourism and basically entry into the country. Other countries likely will follow.

Real risk is airlines simply stop flying because of covid or because load factors get so low it makes no economic sense to fly thin routes.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the coronavirus a world wide pandemic about an hour ago. How does this affect airlines, refunds for tickets, etc.?

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
So that is 11 years since the last pandemic?

I think the last one declared was 2009.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the places German’s are not welcome. Can be American in a heart beat as Covid rates go up.

https://www.thelocal.de/202003...ering-some-countries

Includes Uganda.

The problem with this Covid is growth is exponential. It’s decline will be too.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/op...40299423467b48e9ecf6

Going away for 2 weeks hunting or fishing and the picture could be very different.

Getting back home may be a completely different path than getting to the hunting destination.

Mike

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
See expert's stark warning about future of the virus: https://www.cnn.com/videos/pol...t-fauci-lead-vpx.cnn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

The key is the middle. Trying our best to keep it from spiking, which will overwhelm the medical community as happened in Wuhan and is happening in Lombardy.

Smoothing out the curve will require society as a whole to self segregate as much as possible over the next few months. It will be interesting to see how that works.

Hopefully summer will be our friend and burn the virus down some and allow us a respite prior to fall in the northern hemisphere. The fall/winter of 2020 has the potential to be very bad if the medical community can't find some solutions soon.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:

Mike

The key is the middle. Trying our best to keep it from spiking, which will overwhelm the medical community as happened in Wuhan and is happening in Lombardy.

Smoothing out the curve will require society as a whole to self segregate as much as possible over the next few months. It will be interesting to see how that works.

Hopefully summer will be our friend and burn the virus down some and allow us a respite prior to fall in the northern hemisphere. The fall/winter of 2020 has the potential to be very bad if the medical community can't find some solutions soon.

This is what scares me

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a...emergency/index.html

It’s getting to the safari I am terrified off.

Planes and airports are scary places to be in a pandemic.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike

People are already self-segregating, big time. My workmates are working from home (I already do), Seattle is quiet and traffic is light, so say my friends there on the ground. The run on hand goop and cleaners should be a positive ( if a bit neurotic) indicator that people ARE taking it seriously.

See here:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

Mike

This is what scares me

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a...emergency/index.html

It’s getting to the safari I am terrified off.

Planes and airports are scary places to be in a pandemic.

Mike

Understand completely. I am supposed to do Houston/Istanbul/Maputo next month. I have a feeling the decision will be made for me before I have to make a decision.

Watching OKC Thunder vs Utah Jazz right now. Evidently Rudy Gobert is sick. Both teams warmed up and were sent back to the locker rooms. Refs left the court. Waiting on league to determine if game will go on or not.

Wonder if NBA will play games without fans in the next couple of weeks. Wonder if Thunder will refund the balance of the season tickets. All kinds of financial ramifications will keep bouncing through the economy until everybody gets the vaccine shot. The next year and a half will be interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
quote:

Mike

People are already self-segregating, big time. My workmates are working from home (I already do), Seattle is quiet and traffic is light, so say my friends there on the ground. The run on hand goop and cleaners should be a positive ( if a bit neurotic) indicator that people ARE taking it seriously.

See here:

Thats great for many of us that have the ability to work without being around others. The problem is for those that work in industries where you have to be around people. Unfortunately most people in the world can't go a couple weeks or a month without working and receiving a pay check.

Regarding my last post, the PA announcer just said the Thunder/Jazz game was postponed and sent everybody home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can’t fly out of and into Europe.

Hunting and safaris now seem a distant luxury.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evidently Rudy Gobert has tested positive for Covid 19.

The NBA has suspended the season until further notice after tonight's games.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Tom hanks and his wife too. In Australia.

Said they had cold symptoms and chills. Can’t imagine any other time than now they would have been tested for anything, just self-treated.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

Those booked on Emirates through DUBAI should be fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike

The problem is when the CDC/us government and even uae govt says practice social distancing - basically staying away from people and crowds and less physical contact - long haul flights are then antithesis of social distancing.

I would only get on a long haul flight today if I have to go see family in a emergency.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

The problem is when the CDC/us government and even uae govt says practice social distancing - basically staying away from people and crowds and less physical contact - long haul flights are then antithesis of social distancing.

I would only get on a long haul flight today if I have to go see family in a emergency.

Mike

Travel First Class.

Have your own room clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike

Travel First Class.

Have your own room clap

Big Grin

I tired getting in the Saeed family frequent flyer plan but Emirates turned me down dancing

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hunting and safaris now seem a distant luxury .

Mike

A little dramatic don't you think Mike?

You can still fly through the UK and there are plenty of options to avoid the EU getting to most safari destinations. And let's be honest, this will pass rather quickly once the media finds it's next hyperbolic crisis to pursue.

A distant luxury. Laughable.

coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The latest Ebola outbreak is still ongoing in the the DRC (Congo).

nilly

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
White Sands Missile Range cancelled their annual Bataan Death March off-road marathon yesterday.

I have a feeling we are going to be strangled a bit on activities until this thing passes.

Glad the kids and wife are healthy. I need to talk to my father today about staying home. He is pretty active with his church.

He is 80.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have to agree with Todd. My personal arrangements are made and Sadie and I are going on safari in October. I'd bet this situation will be quite different by then when people see that their neighbors are not dropping like flies. Mike your glass isn't half empty or half full. It's just EMPTY! I booked two hunts today. Not everyone is buying the hysteria.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote