Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I've used ProxiBid a bit and it works just like bidding on Invaluable except Invaluable recently altered their system requirements to function properly.
My old desktop isn't up to snuff so no more Invaluable for me.

You will find that many of the auction houses now have their own online bidding platforms so at many auctions P.B. or Invaluable are unnecessary.

Also, I've been pipped by call in or on site bidders who have made equal bids to mine as it seems they have preference over those using P.B. or Invaluable.
I bet it has something to do with avoiding their fees.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use an auction sniper program to place bids automatically in microseconds. You'll win more auctions. Also don't be cheap in bidding trying to get a huge deal. Bid what you think it is worth plus 10%. I've bought several firearms from them but it was always at maximum bid. Left me scratching my head when the last bid 1 second before auction ended was over $50 less than my winning bid at maximum. Maybe once but not twice.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've used proxibid a couple times. You can catch some good deals there....but pay attention to the Internet Premium! I've seen it as high as 26%. That's added to whatever you've bid, plus shipping.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And then you still have to pay for shipping! In a traditional auction the seller pays a commission to the auction house. In an internet auction the buyer and the seller pay. Why should the buyer be punished? The transaction is carried out electronically. It's not like you take up someones time to give them your money.

But when you think about it, you have access to auctions all over the USA. If you had to travel across the country to attend an auction and pay room, board, gas, and lose time off work to attend an auction, paying the fees is a deal.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
I've used proxibid a couple times. You can catch some good deals there....but pay attention to the Internet Premium! I've seen it as high as 26%. That's added to whatever you've bid, plus shipping.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they call it a buyers premium, but in reality, it is another charge for the seller since we all deduct a like amount from our bidding max.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil McFall:
they call it a buyers premium, but in reality, it is another charge for the seller since we all deduct a like amount from our bidding max.
Phil

Well, that's what you would think, but the "Buyer's Premium" is only there because too many buyers are apparently mathematically challenged and disregard it, bidding as much or near as much as they might if there were no "Buyer's Premium". I find the net prices on Proxibid to average somewhat higher than those on Gunbroker (for true auction, non-reserve items).

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote