Find
Notify
Tools

head shots ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted
A friend shot an impala ewe in the head with his compound bow. Half the arrow was sticking out each side. It was stone dead. Surely shooting smaller animals in the head is better than the shoulder ?

Any comments ?

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the smaller the animal the better the chance to wound an animal. I would never shoot an animal in the head with a bow, that's just dumb and unethical in my opinion.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
A coup de grace with a .22 at point blank range is one thing. Intentionally aiming for the head of any wild animal with archery gear is not acceptable IMO.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
depends on how good you can shoot

...(brag post) archer

I wouldn't purposely shoot a deer in the head but have no problem with yote size or smaller game. Cool

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
last month a hunting partner, Ludovic, went to Quebec Canada for black bear.
He was set on a place visited by a very huge boar. He let pass petty bears until the big boss came. My friend went very picky and waited for a perfect broadside hit. After a while the wind whirled and the bear was gone in no time. Miffed was my friend. He decided to wait a bit longer as night was falling. He heard rustles in the brush and the big bear popped his head out. Without thinking twice he let fly the arrow between the eyes of the boar.
Big pandemonium and a bear departing. Immediately he checked for blood....lots.
In the morning, along with the outfitter they tracked the blood trail. In fact less and less blood and a mile further nothing.
3 days later they saw the boar far away. He was displaying a slash on the forehead and was not at all impeded.
Ludovic hopes to get him next year.

In fact the arrow deflected on the forehead. He didn't remember that all the animals (elephant apart) have the brain just behind the eyes. He should have shot at the noose or better just wait that the facing bear get out of the brush

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbderunz:
last month a hunting partner, Ludovic, went to Quebec Canada for black bear.
He was set on a place visited by a very huge boar. He let pass petty bears until the big boss came. My friend became very picky and waited for a perfect broadside hit. After a while the wind whirled and the bear was gone in no time. Miffed was my friend. He decided to wait a bit longer as night was falling. He heard rustles in the brush and the big bear popped just his head out of the scrub. Without thinking twice he let fly the arrow between the eyes of the boar.
Big pandemonium and a bear departing. Immediately he checked for blood....lots.
In the morning, along with the outfitter they tracked the blood trail. In fact less and less blood and a mile further no blood at all.
3 days later they saw the boar far away. He was displaying a slash on the forehead and was not at all impeded.
Ludovic hopes to get him next year.

In fact the arrow deflected on the forehead. He didn't remember that all the animals (elephant apart) have the brain just behind the eyes. He should have shot at the noose or better just wait that the facing bear get out of the brush

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
For me the issue is not how good a shot one is, but its the fact that animals cannot be relied upon to hold perfectly still. and the brain is a small target that is easily moved. then you have a wounded animal. not to mention hitting a completely still animal in the brain is still tricky. the shoulder is a far better shot for the size of target as well as the lack of motion. not to mention the ethics side of it, i would never intentionally aim for the head

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've head shot two pigs in my time, both times by accident, both times taking a shot at the animal while it was walking, at close range, giving it a bit of lead and having it stop at the sound of the string. One was dead on the spot, the other took the arrove through the lower jaw, cutting both jugulars, also a very quick expiry.
However I wouldn't ever want to try it again, nor am I happy to take similar shots now. If it's walking, give a short whilstle and the animal should stop, allowing you to take the shot.
Definately not something you want to try to do on purpose.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You never said anything about decoyin' that crow...

Now you're never gonna convince me what you were actually aimin' at.

Big Grin

Hell, for that matter, anybody can hit a watermelon.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Head Shots. I dont think I would try it I would be concerned the animal would duck at the sound and end up shooting a little high. I would however take a neck shot if the range was 20 yards or less and the animal was standing still and looking up at me in the deerstand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:

You never said anything about decoyin' that crow...

Now you're never gonna convince me what you were actually aimin' at.

Big Grin

Hell, for that matter, anybody can hit a watermelon.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've been tempted to shoot the decoy. archer

Gotta protect my watermelons with all the politicians around here stealin em. Big Grin

how bout that sunset? Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the movie business, that's known as "the magic hour".

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deliberate headshots with a bow on anything larger than a long tailed rat should not be considered. Come to think of it, a waterbuck cow should be a good candidate for a headshot. that big head does not move much when it comes in and starts feeding, but still way too risky... I could however think of a couple of homosapians....

quote:

Here is one I took - Nothing like an African sunset

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Unless their extremely close and you are an extremely good shot, I'd personally recommend against taking the head shot with a bow. I've seen several photos of deer with arrows in various parts of their head and they weren't dead. (I suppose I've also seen photos of deer with arrows in other parts of their bodies and they weren't dead either.) I just think the kill zone is way too small on a head shot and there is too much room for something to go wrong. My nickel's worth.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote