Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy in Argentina
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted
Hi all, my wife and are are dangerously close to booking a hunt in Argentina for 2012 (most likely the La Pampa region for Red Stag, Blackbuck and possibly a few other critters)

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good taxidermist somewhere in Argentina! i've searched the internet and could only come up with 2. http://www.angaronitaxidermia.com.ar/index1.html
and http://www.craftsmantaxidermy.com.ar/index_eng.html

My other option is to bring the animals back to Canada and have them done here, thoughts?

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Many year have passed since I was invilved in comercial big game hunting here in Argentina but I think your last option is the best.
I would not risk costly mount, shipping them from Argentina to Canada.JMHO
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Martin said.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
When Guillermo comes back on in a week or so, he can make a recommendation. I have seen the work of the man he uses and it is excellent. Wink

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are very good taxidermist in Buenos Aires, but I doubt that you'd pay much less for the service than you would in Canada. The real issue will be the cost to ship the completed mount back Canada, since air freight costs are computed on a weight X volume basis you’re going to pay a lot more to ship the completed mount back.

There’s also the increased risk of damage to a finished mount during shipment. It might not happen often, but it’s happen to guys I know.

And lastly, if you have it done there you’ll be dependent on the taxidermist to tell you whether the cape is in good enough condition for mounting. Not all the ranches do the same quality caping job and you can end up with a cape that doesn’t meet your expectations and that you normally wouldn’t have mounted. There no way for you to make that judgment if you have the work done in Argentina.

Personally I would have the skulls and capes shipped back and have the work done locally by a taxidermist that you know.

Posts: 234 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
some good points by all, thanks! I want to have a good balance between quality and price. I dont mind paying a bit more for shipping, i would think the taxidermy cost would be a little less in Argentina but thats what i need to find out. I would have also assumed the quality would be better in Argentina as they should do more volume in a given year than most taxidermists in Canada. At this point i don't have a "go to guy" to do my taxidermy work, if i did i would probably have the capes/horns shipped here.

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
I'm very close to booking with TGB outfitters through Adam Clements. Any positive or negative comments on these guys?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your logic seems sound, but I suggest that you validate your assumptions before making a decision.

First, the cost of shipping a finished mount will be a lot more; not just a little bit. Just imagine the size of the crate needed to ship a finished red stag mount vs. the size needed to ship the skull with rack and cape. I would guess you would be looking at paying at least twice as much. These things are all shipped air freight. Talking to an air freight company or your importer might give you some idea of what you’d be looking at.

Second, I’m not sure the cost to do the taxidermy work will be that much less in Argentina. The internal inflation rate in Argentina is incredible and prices for anything to do with hunting have been going up like crazy over the last ten years that I’ve been going there.

Also, the custom in Argentina is to do European skull mounts. Most of the Argentines that I know only have European mounts. Most of the shoulder mounts that I’ve seen have been at hunting lodges. Given that I don’t know that the taxidermists down there do a higher volume of shoulder mounts. A lot to think about…

Regarding TGB Outfitters… Will send PM

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Shoulder mounts are very ,ver common here ,among sport hunters ,there are very good taxidermists but most of them have a long list of clients waiting ,i believe the best is BECERRA from Mar del Plata ,a shoulder mount of a red stag is about 1200us .
Please anything more just ask .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much for less expensive...

I e-mailed a friend of mine in Buenos Aires who is an avid hunter and is involved in the commercial hunting business in La Pampa. He recommends Roberto massun in BA. He said they charge around $800 USD for a red stag shoulder mount. They have a website, but it's in Spanish. www.massuntaxidermia.com.ar.

My taxidermist here in the states just raised his price for a red stag mount to $700. If it was me I'd look around in Canada for a reputable taxidermist closer to home.

One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
great discussion, thanks all!

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I book for A.T. and a number of my clients have hunted with TGB and had good success on Buffalo, Red Deer, Blackbuck and more. Great lodging/food etc. As for trophies, I recommend you ship raw capes/horns/antlers to your local Taxidermist or clear through Chicago and I can recommend an excellent tannery and Taxidermist in Michigan.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have seen some very good work by taxidermists in Argentina that are used by my friends who live there. That said, the prices quoted in a few of the previous posts seem quite high compared to similar mount costs stateside. When one considers the crating and shipping costs I don't see any savings over having the salted and dried capes and antlers/horns sent to a taxidermist where you live here.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just don't do what I did.
I left money with the outfitter that would take care of having the trophies prepared for shipment.
That was in 2007. My money and my trophies are still somewhere in Argentina.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this.
It would be very interesting to know the outfitter name.
Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Martin Godio. Mad

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
When I hunted there the outfitter waited until most of the hunts were over, then shipped all of the capes and horns in one shipment to their agent in Florida who then forwarded them wherever you specified. Don't know if anyone else does this but that's how Algar did it. The idea was to save on the freight.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The thing is in Canada our prices for taxidermy are quite high. In Alberta anyway. $700.00 is low for a little Pronghorn Antelope shoulder mount & I've seen prices as high as $1800.00 - $1900.00 for Elk shouldermounts. You can get cheaper mounts done but it will take you atleast 2 years to get your trophy back & thats with 50% down when you drop the cape & skull off. With the way prices have been going with taxidermy work I've taken on o new appreciation for European mounts.

Posts: 16 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 07 March 2009Reply With Quote