Login/Join

One of Us
posted
?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Unlikely

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say this is completely illegal and I would stay far, far away. I do not know exacts right now but from a US perspective I do not think a Jaguar can be imported at all unless a permit is obtained which most likely would have to be for a museum, etc. If you friend brought it in and did not declare it, he has broken lots of laws. There was an instance around here a few years ago where a couple of guys bought some tiger skins that had papers, etc. Turned out it was a USFWS sting and they all got busted. This is one for my two cents to stay clear of. Besides, any self respecting taxidermist would not touch it either so what would you do with it.

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

How long ago was the Jaguar killed? Even if killed and brought into the country pre-ban, I believe it is illegal to transfer any jaguar skins to a person whose name is not on the permit.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Why not just call US Customs and USF&W and
inquire? You might also ask him if he declared it upon bringing it in.
I tried to google it, but not too successful. The Lacey Act applies, but the dates of import may be relevant, whether or not it was declared.

If USF&W says it is OK, get it in writing.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, no offense, but you're kidding, aren't you? At a minimum, that sounds like a pretty good way to get Jeff's friend some uncomfortable attention -- even if his name isn't provided.

I think I would stay away from this one.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
sent you a pm, I would like to buy if for sale. I have a diorama with a spotted owl killing a bald eagle while it humps a whooping crane.

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Be carefull. I would not touch it. you may get yourself into deeeeeep waters. i Would even delete the subjet. you may find yourself in problems very quickly. Just my 2 cents

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to hear the details of him bringing it through customs in Atlanta. I will bet that was entertaining.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
I tried to google it, but not too successful. The Lacey Act applies, but the dates of import may be relevant, whether or not it was declared.

Bill:

He doesn't have to call Customs or USFWS. They'll be knocking on his door soon.

Bill Quimby Smiler

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I´m sorry to say that even today the jaguars are hunted in certain countries. I´ve seen pictures of enormous animals taken in recent years, but I´m not authorised to post these.
Who knows which is the number of the surviving cats?. Some say about 300.000, which could be enough for hunting them in suitable numbers....but this is South America. Frowner

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
Bill, no offense, but you're kidding, aren't you? At a minimum, that sounds like a pretty good way to get Jeff's friend some uncomfortable attention -- even if his name isn't provided.

I think I would stay away from this one.

No offense taken, but I was not kidding. I am not a big fan of the USF&W but an inquiry can be made without revealing names.

Another approach would be to contact the legal office of SCI in D.C. with the question.

The answer might well be also available by researching the Lacey Act.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
quote:

Bill:

Bill Quimby Smiler

The devils can knock all they want, but since he has not taken possession of the skin, he is under no obligation to reveal who may have it. And he is also under no obligation to allow them entry into his home, or to even talk to them.

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Jeff,
sent you a pm, I would like to buy if for sale. I have a diorama with a spotted owl killing a bald eagle while it humps a whooping crane.

Man, that is just wrong! Eeker Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bill:

Bill Quimby Smiler

The devils can knock all they want, but since he has not taken possession of the skin, he is under no obligation to reveal who may have it. And he is also under no obligation to allow them entry into his home, or to even talk to them.

Granted, he has broken no law yet and doesn't have to talk with anyone, but an enterprising agent almost certainly will try to get more details about his friend's illegal importation and possession of that skin.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bill:

Bill Quimby Smiler

He doesn't have to say a word. But if the USF&W boys can establish that the market value of a Jaguar skin is beyond a certain threshold, they can certainly bring a charge of misprision of a felony.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys I got it completly wrong.It was a leopard skin. I have two of those already

Thanks for your sincere replys

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you need a "cover your ass" emoticon Wink