Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Beer, Wine & Liquor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My favorite beers are the ones that are spelled "beer" and are served cold. Wine is for wussys. Scotch and gin are fine when cold beer is not available.

Mike

Posts: 21230 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopfenperle-a Swiss beer or Goesser Stiftsbrau from Graz Austria

A good dry white Riesling from the Mosel

Pappy's Bourbon...older the better

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankenmuth Dunkel beer. Excellent. Locally produced in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Their locally produced Pilsner is also excellent. Stella Artois. Negro Modelo at the Mexican restaraunt.

Wines may be for wussies, but Shiraz is the most manly of vino. Red, full-bodied and ages well.

2007 Leatherwood Shiraz/Viognier (South African origin). Best Shiraz I've ever had.

Pelee Island (Lake Erie, Canada) also makes an excellent Shiraz. Take your boat, dock on the north side of the island and go to the winery. Stay a day or two. The waitress at the small bar/restaurant was friendly, blond and hot. Too bad she was young enough to be my daughter. It was well worth the $4.66/gallon gas. My boat gets a generous 0.8 miles/gallon....

Pimms No.1 and ginger ale. Awesome summer drink.

Blended Scotch - Chivas is the best I've tasted so far for the price.

Johnny Walker Blue Label was excellent, normally I don't care for any of the Johnny Walker products at all.

Famous Grouse - never again. Tasted terrible. Wondered if the Scots ship all their shit over here and save the best for themselves. Supposedly Famous Grouse is the best selling blended whiskey in Scotland. Go figure.

Single malts - Lagavulin, Dalwhinnie. Balvenie Doublewood was good as well. Laphroaig 15 year - got smashed with a friend in Vegas drinking Laphroaig. That was an expensive night!

Talisker - never again.

Oban - not bad, unremarkable.

Ardbeg Uigeadial - too much of a good thing. I grew to hate it, if you can hate a 75 dollar bottle of Scotch.

Speyburn - absolute trash. Never again.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pimms No.1 and ginger ale. Awesome summer drink.
I rather like those myself. It's one of those old time Vieux Carré drinks that I'm fond of. I've tried versions of it at the Napoleon House Bar & Cafe and the Old Absinthe House.

Here's a good recipe for it - http://www.oldabsinthehouse.com/cocktails.html#Pimm's Cup - (skip on down to it).

The slice of cucumber is a nice touch...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pimm's Cup
A classic and truly refreshing cocktail

Fill a tall glass with ice add:
1 1/4 ounce Pimm's #1
splash of sour mix
Fill with ginger ale

Garnish with a lemon wedge or slice of cucumber

I'll have to try it with the sour mix. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makers Mark on ice and a orange slice. Heaven in a glass.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beer: Alamo Ale
Lone Star
Negro Modelo

Wine: Not so much........

Bourbon: Booker ( for serious drinkin' and thinkin')
Crown Royale ( recreational drinkin' )

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guillermo Amestoy:
Gentlemen:
I dont like blends thumbdown, just single malt, smoky and pitty and I dont like to contaminate such us beatiful "Master's pieces or art" adding water Mad to release the Dragon, I preffer to let them "breath" for a while in my bohemia cristal glass and then drink enogh until see by my self the dragons.. Big Grin..lol.... dancing

The winners for me are: clap

a)Lagavulin ($200 per botle here in Argentina) b)Ardbeg ($100) a bargain !!!
b)Caol ila 18 and 12 years old (same)
c)Bowmore (Sorry Bill.... tu2)

Need to try Talisker, maybe tomorrow Big Grin

Shakari; Thanks for sharing that usefull chart picture, You are the Single Malt man !!! tu2

Cheers, hic !!!

Guille

Guillermo - You must try Talisker. The best with a cigar. I'm with you, the chart shakari posted is awesome, but I can't ruin a good scotch by adding water.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Beers: Guinness, Dos XX, Huari, Quilmes Cristal, Quilmes Red, most UK and German beers

Bourbon: Woodsford Reserve, Buffalo Trace

Scotch: Glenlivet 15y/o, Glenfiddich 15 y/o, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Balvenie Port Wood 21, any other single malt by the before named distilleries, whatever Kiri is serving during elevensies at the DSC Big Grin

Gin: Hendricks, Death's Door

Wines: anything from Laura Catena, especially their Luca wines, most Argentine Malbecs, Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta (Chilean)

Toast - Salud - Cheers......Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
My daughter bought me a bottle of 18 year old Glenmorangie for Christmas last year. Now, I am hooked. There is nothing like it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
21 year old Glen Garioch Smiler
Bowmore....any one tu2

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Beer: Stella (it unremarkable but i like it)

Wine: too many to pick, used to like Turnbull cab. and Stag leap petite Syrah

Liquor: Gentleman Jack, Ice, splash of club soda

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beer: Germans: Weihenstephaner Kristal Weissbier, Dinkler Acker CD Pils, Paulaner Salvator, Schneider Aventenius, Erdinger Hefeweissen

Wine: many different styles. French red burgundy, French Chateauneuf-du-pape, French Sauternes dessert wine, French Alsatian white wine, Spanish Rioja red wine, Italian Gattinara red wine, Italian Montepulciano d'Abruzzo red wine, Port (mostly late bottled vintage port -- Smith-Woodhouse, Warre's, Ramos Pinto, Noval, Fonseca), California Clos du Val Cabernet Sauvignon red wine, California Ridge Zinfandel (Geyserville and Lytton Springs), California Chardonnays.

Cognac, gin (prefer Tanquery 10 and Bombay Saphire), Alsatian eaux-de-vie (Poire William, Framboise, Mirabel, Kirsch).

I have never taken an interest in Whisky, though I have tried.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes for watching a favorite TV series, I'll do a made up cocktail by chilling a glass in the freezer, then adding some crushed ice, then a couple cherries with a touch of juice, then a dash of Peychaud's bitters and a dash of Angostura bitters, then fill half the glass with simple syrup and fill the remainder with the "whisky of the day", either Maker's Mark, JD, JB or Crown, and stir.

It's basically a Sazarac only without the absinthe (one of these days I've got to try the genuine absinthe instead of the substitutes - you know, that stuff was illegal for so long).

The usual sides are anything salty. Crackers and cheese generally.

Anyhow, I find that after getting used to mixing your own, paying someone $7.50 to do one small drink doesn't appeal.

Friday night a new season of "Gold Rush" will be on, so that'll be the plan. I already went thru a lot of these with "Breaking Bad". And I'm sure missing that show...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The beer of choice is Moosehead.

You can always tell a true lover of Moosehead...............
By the Antler marks on his chest!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James Squire 150 Lashes beer

Duckhorn Merlot

Beefeater gin with a touch of Cinzano vermouth. Drop a pickled anything in it and I am good. Just poured one, dropped a hot pepper in it and having a touch of salami and breadsticks.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ran an inventory of my bar for an upcoming house warming -

Scotch - Dewar's Signature
Champagne - Marques de Monestrol (Brut)
Beer - Bud Lite Lime, Coors Light
Wine(s) - Nieto Senetiner (Malbec) 2010; Pedernales Texas Viognier 2012
Rum - Old Monk (India) Finally found it in Texas.
Liqueur(s) - Espiritu del Ecuador; Wild Turkey American Honey
Brandy - Lepanto Solera Gran Reserva (Brandy de Jerez)
Vodka - Absolut

Most parties I've been to lately run through a lot of wine and beer, and little else.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote