Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Beer, Wine & Liquor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What does everyone here like best?

I prefer German beer especially on draft. Beck's, St. Pauli and the favorite on rare occasions when I can find it, Löwenbräu - lion's brew - now owned by Anheuser-Busch.

In American beers I go back to when Michelob was the draft beer served just about everywhere, and really liked it too. A cold one on draft just went with BBQ.

There's also a thing called Little Kings Cream Ale by Schoenling, out of Cincinnati that I really think tastes good.

Not much of a wine drinker, but I like the Rhine wines.

In whisky Crown straight up is always smooth.

My personal favorite cocktail is the Sazerac, the country's oldest mixed drink. I once tried to sample one of those in every bar in the French Quarter in a scientific quest for the perfect example. The Carousel Lounge at the Hotel Monteleone took top honors. That's the one that revolves as you're sitting there. The Napoleon House Bar & Cafe and the Old Absinthe House weren't bad. Same for Pat O'Briens Piano Bar and the Sazerac Bar at The Roosevelt Hotel. To go for this you need a taste for dark licorice.

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I use booze to cook with far more than I drink, but I'll still have a couple Guinness draughts or a hard cider on occasion. Usually when I'm traveling and not driving.

I'm gonna make a Guinness chocolate cheesecake today. And I use Guinness as a baste for ribs or pork shoulder and to make BBQ sauce.

Always keep a few varieties of rum around, and banana liquer to make Bananas Foster or rum cake.

Harp lager is a great beer batter beer for fish, or a dark beer for onion ring batter with beaten egg whites folded in.

Coors, PBR or a similar beer is a good base for the marinade and baste for grilling a tri tip.

And a variety of beers can be used for making a carbonade, be it venison or beef.

Need a good burgundy for burgundy bear, which I actually pack in 1/2 pint jars and process in the pressure canner. Makes great sandwiches.

Gotta have a white whine like chardonnay for homemade teriyaki.

And port for making an apricot port wine sauce for seared duck breasts.

Whiskey for mixing with pure maple syrup to glaze fresh salmon fillets on the smoker grill.

Lots of good stuff..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found, beer, wine, rum are good throughout the world.

For beer I like Polar (Venezuela), Carlton Dry, Stella Artois (Belgium), Coors, Tecate, Corona, Bud Lite Lime, Beck's, Tiger. (I won't go thirsty.)

Living near the Swan River and Margaret River areas in Autralia made us really appreciate wine, Australian in particular. (Cullen, Cabernet Sauvignon / Merlot blend 2010 came back to the U.S. with us.)

Port is my favorite, Penfolds Grandfather since I can get it locally, and Talijancich if I ever get back to Perth and the Swan Valley.

I was surprised that I prefer wines / ports that are not the most expensive available. For some reason they taste better to me.

Dark Rum is my addiction. Ron Medellin Super Anejo from Colombia, Cacique 500 from Venezuela, Old Monk from India. (Worst rum, any Bundaberg variety from Australia.)

Favorite cocktail, Caipirinha, from Brazil, made with real Cachaca, not rum, like they do in Indonesia. (But if you do ever find yourself in Bali, buy a bottle of Arak, and make a Caipirinha, you'll think you are in Brazil.)

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
My two favorites:

First - Negra Modelo

Second - Dick Danger Ale

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeungling Black and Tan for American beer. I fell in love with Victoria Bitter overseas.

Wine you can have as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather just eat the grapes or make them into jelly.

For Whiskey, I tend to favor Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. Scotch means Glen Livet and Gin means Boodles for me. Rum and Vodka I never cared much, any label works. Tequila is Jose Cuervo Gold.

For liquers I like Grappa and Lemoncello.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There've been all these Bond movies of late, and maybe they inspired me. The other night, after making sure my bartender knew what I was talking about, I tried one I thought Ian Fleming would approve of. Going by memory of course. A gin and vodka martini with a touch of vermouth and a lemon peel. Shaken of course.

He did it and it wasn't bad. But I have to admit the truth, no matter what they say about vodka having no taste, I say it does. And I just never saw the attraction. So back to my usual Vieux Carré old style cocktails, the Mint Julep, the Ramos Gin Fizz, the Hurricane, the Planter's Punch, the Pimm's Cup, the Old Fashioned and the favorite, the Sazerac.

Oh, when years and years ago in the islands for scuba I was told that Don Q is the gold standard in rum. After trying it, I was convinced.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two cocktails I don't hear much of, that I used to love were:

1. Double King Alphonse
2. Hot Buttered Rum (a cold evening with the right girl; nothing better)

My go-to drink in college when on a date in Juarez was Tequila Almendrado, with lime.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Beer cold lager BBK my fav
Wine Barolo
Vintage Port
Margarita, bloody mary, Bombay Sapphire on ice so nice

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much for beer. Any cheap wine will do. And I really like the Bloody Marys, either with tomato juice or with Clamato juice, so long as they have a lot of tobasco in them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like so many beers it would be hard to make a definitive list but my current favorite by a considerable margin is a tall (23 oz) Samuel Adam's draught (regular lager, not seasonal) at Buffalo Wild Wings. It is truly amazing how much better the draught tastes than the bottled version. Besides the beer, I like the TV sports, the fair percentage of good looking waitresses, the games, and the video poker. Really not my age group, but they haven't turned down my money yet.

Wine and whiskey are another book, not post.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I like so many beers it would be hard to make a definitive list but my current favorite by a considerable margin is a tall (23 oz) Samuel Adam's draught (regular lager, not seasonal) at Buffalo Wild Wings. It is truly amazing how much better the draught tastes than the bottled version. Besides the beer, I like the TV sports, the fair percentage of good looking waitresses, the games, and the video poker. Really not my age group, but they haven't turned down my money yet.

Another vote for Buffalo Wild Wings. I can live without the Sam Adams, but everything else you said about Buffalo Wild Wings it true. I hit it at least once a month.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three things on beer - draft (or draught) I think's best all around, and to be honest I never cared much for lite beer. I also prefer beer good and cold, even with chips of ice forming and floating around in it. I never could tolerate the European practice of warm beer.

Oh, I once had a conversation with a German friend about the right temperature for beer, and when I told him my preference for very cold, he goes and has to say, "with American beer I can understand that"...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beer
-American
-Shiner Bock
-Sam Adams
-Most of their seasonals
-Blue Moon seasonals (American owned now)
-German
-SchneiderWeisse (Heffeweisen)
-Augustiner Keller (largest beer garden in Bovaria, haven't found it in the states)
-Tucher
-Erdinger (All of the them)
-If you ever go to Munich stay away from Hoffbrau house (All tourists)

Scotch
-Glennrothes
-Balvenie
-Glennlivet (18 yr.)
-Glennlivet (12 yr.)
-Macallen (12 yr.)

Bourbon
-Blantons

Chili
-Gentlemen Jack

Tequila
-Patron (Chilled for shots)

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beer: loving IPA's from smaller breweries. On a larger scale, I like Red Hook and Harpoon's various offerings. I make it a point to visit Harpoon every time I travel up to VT (a few times a year!) for a few growlers of their 100 barrel batch offerings.

Wine: a trip to Napa in 2011 changed my life in terms of wine. I don't have a clear cut favorite (although I show an affinity to Cabernets lately), but rather really enjoy trying new wines. I really enjoy going to tastings, particularly ones done by knowledgable presenters. Sparkling wines, I really like Mumm's offerings.

Spirits: recently acquired a taste for whiskey. Currently enjoying Makers Mark 46 and Bookers.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Currently enjoying Makers Mark 46 and Bookers.
You would like Knob Creek too. Along with Bookers it's one of that group of four small batch whiskies. I forget the other two.

Makers Mark is what I have the bartender use for my Sazeracs. Either that or Jim Beam rye whisky.

The original recipe in part was cognac with the glass coated with absinthe, but in America whisky especially rye whisky was substituted for the brandy. And when absinthe was banned substitutes were invented like Herbsaint or Pernod Anise.

Anyway, I'm partial to Makers Mark because I hear they support gun owners' rights.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Proper beer = London Pride draught bitter

African beer = Safari

Whisky = Ardbeg malt whisky & failing that, other Islay malts. I don't have much experience of small US distilleries but enjoyed Makers Mark. It's very different to a malt but very enjoyable.

Wine = The best I've ever had are the local red wines made in my immediate area. They often come in refilled 5 or 6 litre plastic water bottles & are similar to the South African Merlots but deerper, richer, portier, more complex & with a hint of strawberries.

I've had SA wines that aren't a patch on these local wines but cost anything up to E50 or $70 a bottle. Eeker

I'm glad to say I get it as a gift from my neighbour but if I had to buy it here, it'd cost about 50 euro cents per litre.

Eat ya hearts out! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemt5287:
Beer: loving IPA's from smaller breweries. On a larger scale, I like Red Hook and Harpoon's various offerings. I make it a point to visit Harpoon every time I travel up to VT (a few times a year!) for a few growlers of their 100 barrel batch offerings.

Wine: a trip to Napa in 2011 changed my life in terms of wine. I don't have a clear cut favorite (although I show an affinity to Cabernets lately), but rather really enjoy trying new wines. I really enjoy going to tastings, particularly ones done by knowledgable presenters. Sparkling wines, I really like Mumm's offerings.

Spirits: recently acquired a taste for whiskey. Currently enjoying Makers Mark 46 and Bookers.

If you like bookers you will like Blantons.

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

Whisky = Ardbeg malt whisky & failing that, other Islay malts. I don't have much experience of small US distilleries but enjoyed Makers Mark. It's very different to a malt but very enjoyable.

Eat ya hearts out! rotflmo

Islays are very good on the right occasion, but I tend to prefer speyside and some highland scotches. A beginner probably doesn't want to start with the islays because they have such an overwhelming peat flavor.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I certainly agree Ardbeg probably isn't a good beginners into to malts but I was talking favourites.

FWIW, I also like to release the dragon by adding about 40% of good water.

This might be of interest:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a rather interesting chart. I was actually thinking of trying Glenlivet. Now I have some idea what to expect.

I wonder if there's such a thing for U.S. and Canadian whiskies...

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
We don't drink mush Single Malt here in fly over territory. I have developed a taste for Ballantine's Blended Scotch. A much better flavor and feel than Chivas.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
I wonder if there's such a thing for U.S. and Canadian whiskies...

I've never seen one but would think there's something similar on the net somewhere. - If anyone does one a version for Bourbons, I'd love to see it!

SF

I also reckon that that Ballentine's is one of the better blends.

Generally, for me at least, the key to fully enjoying any whisky or whiskey is to add a little water (NEVER ice) because it unlocks all the subtleties of the stuff. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of bourbon or whisky and water, when I watched the Goodfellas movie, I noticed that Robert De Niro's Jimmy Conway character was taking a sip of water after each sip of whisky (Cutty, I think). And it dawned on me. I've been doing the same for many decades. There's something about the whisky that just naturally makes me reach for water. Someone on the set must have had the same habit.

Now that's with drinking the whisky straight or over ice. Not the same feeling when mixed.

Btw, a bit of trivia for you. Who knows without looking it up, how Jack Daniels died?

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raider2k3:
....I tend to prefer speyside and some highland scotches. A beginner probably doesn't want to start with the islays because they have such an overwhelming peat flavor.

Man after my own heart! My Favorite so far has been a Balvenie 21 Port Wood, but it's a bit more than I tend to spend. The Double Wood is good,... come to think of it, I like pretty much all of thiers. Wink I just picked up a Glenlivet 16 Nadurra, that is supposed to be great ( and under appreciatted) for just over $50 at CostCo.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't a fan of the nadura. My Costco has the glinlivet 18 for 55 a much better deal. Che out Glennrothes.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I guess there's no such thing as a bad malt, just a lot of very different malts.

The doublewoods & portwoods are all very enjoyable.

THIS is a fantastic book & one of the co-authors (Robin Lamond) has his email address in the book so you can email him for advice........ he's soooooo helpful it's not true. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had to look it up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I certainly agree Ardbeg probably isn't a good beginners into to malts but I was talking favourites.

FWIW, I also like to release the dragon by adding about 40% of good water.

This might be of interest:

This is awesome!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure but get an idea it either came from that book I mentioned or a magazine but it's a great idea huh! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had to look it up.
Ain't that something. Greatest name in American whisky. And he has to get in too big a hurry to get into his safe, and loses his temper, then hauls off and kicks the safe, and hurts his toe which gets infected, then blood poisoning sets in. And he winds up in that great distillery in the sky.

His death certificate said, "complications due to a fall".

Btw, I've been on the tour of the place at Lynchburg and it's very worthwhile if you're ever in Middle Tennessee. You get to go back into the cave and see the underground spring that furnishes the water. They have a statue of JD back in there. And they let you lean over the vat and smell the sour mash. Man, I tell you, that really cleans out the sinuses.

2nd btw. We bought this little old piece of hunting property over in W. Tenn. and when I went exploring the deeper parts of the woods, what did I come upon? An underground spring. Totally hidden, hard to find and not on any maps. Cool and very clear. I put a limb down in it to see how deep. Nine feet and it didn't hit bottom. I think I'll have the water tested for purity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
quote:
Had to look it up.
Ain't that something. Greatest name in American whisky. And he has to get in too big a hurry to get into his safe, and loses his temper, then hauls off and kicks the safe, and hurts his toe which gets infected, then blood poisoning sets in. And he winds up in that great distillery in the sky.

His death certificate said, "complications due to a fall".

Btw, I've been on the tour of the place at Lynchburg and it's very worthwhile if you're ever in Middle Tennessee. You get to go back into the cave and see the underground spring that furnishes the water. They have a statue of JD back in there. And they let you lean over the vat and smell the sour mash. Man, I tell you, that really cleans out the sinuses.

2nd btw. We bought this little old piece of hunting property over in W. Tenn. and when I went exploring the deeper parts of the woods, what did I come upon? An underground spring. Totally hidden, hard to find and not on any maps. Cool and very clear. I put a limb down in it to see how deep. Nine feet and it didn't hit bottom. I think I'll have the water tested for purity.

Sounds like a great find.

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
If you are a bourbon drinker and if you can find it, treat yourself to a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve. It comes in 3 ages, 15 yr (I think), 20yr and 23 yr. I have only had the 15 and 20yr. The 15 was fantastic and the 20yr..well to say it is anything short of heavenly would be a huge understatement!!

I can only imagine what the 23 yr is like!!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Beer....Guinness or Quilmes Stout
Wine...Malbec, preferably Catena Alta
Scotch....Bowmore 17

I disagree with the water recommendation. 40% water is way too much to "release the dragon." It will drown the beast. A few large drops
of good cold water is all it takes.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any beer or wine with no chemicals or preservatives.My favorite beer is made by Unibroue.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever's on sale at Walmart. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So for our European friends here, a beer drinking question I've long wondered about -

What's the deal with the warm beer? Is it drunk warm in some countries and cooler in others?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to crazy about the real heavy dark beers, but what ever I drink I prefer it in a bottle and ice cold.
Single barrel bourbon.

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Beer?
Russian Imperial Stouts of 9% or higher alcohol small batch or more widespread releases. (Speedway stout by Alesmith, Stone brewing Co RIS and Old Rasputin) For a desert try a RIS with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a beer float.
I love Bourbon. Ever try Willett Bourbon? They are all AMAZING but their Rye has little to be desired. Bookers is my staple bourbon.
Laphroaig 10 yr cask strength or 16 Lagavulin seem to be my "re-peat" Scotch purchases. Wine? a good Petit Sirah (No not Syrah) or Old Vine Zin.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
I dont like blends thumbdown, just single malt, smoky and pitty and I dont like to contaminate such us beatiful "Master's pieces or art" adding water Mad to release the Dragon, I preffer to let them "breath" for a while in my bohemia cristal glass and then drink enogh until see by my self the dragons.. Big Grin..lol.... dancing

The winners for me are: clap

a)Lagavulin ($200 per botle here in Argentina) b)Ardbeg ($100) a bargain !!!
b)Caol ila 18 and 12 years old (same)
c)Bowmore (Sorry Bill.... tu2)

Need to try Talisker, maybe tomorrow Big Grin

Shakari; Thanks for sharing that usefull chart picture, You are the Single Malt man !!! tu2

Cheers, hic !!!

Guille

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I like Rolling Rock and Foster's beer.

Italian reds- Brunello, most sangiovese and some red zinfandels. French whites- Muscadet, Pouilly fume/fuise and most white burgundies.

I really like the Italian bitters/apperitifs: Campari, Zucca and Cinar (I find the latter 2 the best drink with cigars.)

.........and saving the best for last:

Pappy Van Winkles

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote