Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrel Recipes?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted
Last few times I have been out deer hunting, I have been amazed at the number of squirrels we have on our place. Since my county in Texas has no closed season and no bag limit for bushytails, I was wondering if I should go out and thin them out.

If I simmered them for a few hours in a flavorful liquid and then finished em off on the grill with some BBQ sauce... would that work?

I have no idea what they would taste like and most likely I will have a mix of old and young squirrels.

Honestly, I'd just like to go shoot a mess of 'em, but I don't like to slaughter and dump something I could be eating.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm going to take the lack of replies to mean either:

1) Holiday weekend and all the people with recipes are either busy or hunting or both.

2) Squirrel BBQ squirrel rates right up there with roast rat and no one wants to bother posting a recipe for a varmint.

Either way, I think I will hold off on the squirrel reduction until I know for sure.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Squirrel is quite good! I find that it is better to par boil them before my final recipe. While it is good on the bone, I prefer to use them "in" something. Usually pot pies or shredded BBQ. Anything that requires added meat. Hope this helps.
jay

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Keep young and old squirrels separate after dressing for cook time control. Boil the old ones to near tenderness, then cool, bread, and fry. The young ones cook easily and can be brushed with barbecue sauce and broiled after a short simmer. You can boil, then simmer with onions/sour cream for over biscuits or make gravy. Season with your favorite spices.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually bread the meat in a mixture of flour and pepper or crushed saltine cracker and pepper and fry like chicken.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They feed mostly on acorns here so how can they be bad ? Cut up the squirrels.Marinate in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar,prepared mustard,sliced onion.Roast, eat !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mete has it right!!

I usually don't promote commercial cooking stuff, however #2 son was trying to impress his girl friend tonight and he used his Rem 597 to collect dinner while I was trying to find a big buck on the last day of muzzleloader season ...which I didn't.

He used "House of Tsang Sweet Ginger Sesame Hibachi Grill sauce" on the tree rats. soaked them for 30 minutes and then put them on the grill for a couple minutes on each side. Served with rice and baked beans they were great!! I use it for chicken and I think it would make possum butt taste good.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
They are best if boiled on the bone until tender. After the meat can be removed off the bone, pan fry and mix with gravy. very good.
cheers

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted (and eaten) squirrels for 45 years. Here's my favorite method:
1. cut squirrel into 5 pieces - 2 front legs, 2 rear legs, and back
2. pat dry
3. lightly salt & pepper, sprinkle some Cavenders on both sides
4. flour and fry in a CAST IRON frying pan, but only till they are golden brown.
5. remove squirrel and place on paper towels while you pour the grease out of the cast iron frying pan and (using paper towels)wipe the pan out to remove all grease.
6. place squirrels back into frying pan, cover with a lid (the tighter the better), and bake in a 300 degree oven for 1.5 hours.

Yum Yum!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pist
posted Hide Post
SQUIRREL IN WHITE WINE

4 Squirrels, cut up
2 T. butter
¼ cup olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic crushed
½ tsp. Rosemary
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 T chopped parsley
2 cups sliced mushrooms

Saute squirrel in butter and oil until lightly browned. Add salt and pepper to taste, garlic, rosemary, wine and broth, simmer until nearly done, turning often. Add parsley and mushrooms. Cook five minutes. Serves four.

Posts: 43 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote