The Accurate Reloading Forums
Squirrel Recipes?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9811043/m/384103473

26 November 2005, 22:42
Big-Ed
Squirrel Recipes?
Last few times I have been out deer hunting, I have been amazed at the number of squirrels we have on our place. Since my county in Texas has no closed season and no bag limit for bushytails, I was wondering if I should go out and thin them out.

If I simmered them for a few hours in a flavorful liquid and then finished em off on the grill with some BBQ sauce... would that work?

I have no idea what they would taste like and most likely I will have a mix of old and young squirrels.

Honestly, I'd just like to go shoot a mess of 'em, but I don't like to slaughter and dump something I could be eating.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
27 November 2005, 18:39
Big-Ed
Ok, I'm going to take the lack of replies to mean either:

1) Holiday weekend and all the people with recipes are either busy or hunting or both.

2) Squirrel BBQ squirrel rates right up there with roast rat and no one wants to bother posting a recipe for a varmint.

Either way, I think I will hold off on the squirrel reduction until I know for sure.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
27 November 2005, 21:55
Jason Doss
Squirrel is quite good! I find that it is better to par boil them before my final recipe. While it is good on the bone, I prefer to use them "in" something. Usually pot pies or shredded BBQ. Anything that requires added meat. Hope this helps.
jay

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!
28 November 2005, 05:36
coues
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

Have you tried this site?
07 December 2005, 07:06
N. S. Sherlock
Keep young and old squirrels separate after dressing for cook time control. Boil the old ones to near tenderness, then cool, bread, and fry. The young ones cook easily and can be brushed with barbecue sauce and broiled after a short simmer. You can boil, then simmer with onions/sour cream for over biscuits or make gravy. Season with your favorite spices.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd
31 December 2005, 20:52
trekker111
I usually bread the meat in a mixture of flour and pepper or crushed saltine cracker and pepper and fry like chicken.
01 January 2006, 02:59
mete
They feed mostly on acorns here so how can they be bad ? Cut up the squirrels.Marinate in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar,prepared mustard,sliced onion.Roast, eat !!
01 January 2006, 11:00
Lowrider 49
Mete has it right!!

I usually don't promote commercial cooking stuff, however #2 son was trying to impress his girl friend tonight and he used his Rem 597 to collect dinner while I was trying to find a big buck on the last day of muzzleloader season ...which I didn't.

He used "House of Tsang Sweet Ginger Sesame Hibachi Grill sauce" on the tree rats. soaked them for 30 minutes and then put them on the grill for a couple minutes on each side. Served with rice and baked beans they were great!! I use it for chicken and I think it would make possum butt taste good.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!
01 January 2006, 20:02
splinterhands
They are best if boiled on the bone until tender. After the meat can be removed off the bone, pan fry and mix with gravy. very good.
cheers

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."
02 January 2006, 03:57
LBGuy
I have hunted (and eaten) squirrels for 45 years. Here's my favorite method:
1. cut squirrel into 5 pieces - 2 front legs, 2 rear legs, and back
2. pat dry
3. lightly salt & pepper, sprinkle some Cavenders on both sides
4. flour and fry in a CAST IRON frying pan, but only till they are golden brown.
5. remove squirrel and place on paper towels while you pour the grease out of the cast iron frying pan and (using paper towels)wipe the pan out to remove all grease.
6. place squirrels back into frying pan, cover with a lid (the tighter the better), and bake in a 300 degree oven for 1.5 hours.

Yum Yum!
03 February 2006, 22:42
Pist
SQUIRREL IN WHITE WINE

4 Squirrels, cut up
2 T. butter
¼ cup olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic crushed
½ tsp. Rosemary
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 T chopped parsley
2 cups sliced mushrooms

Saute squirrel in butter and oil until lightly browned. Add salt and pepper to taste, garlic, rosemary, wine and broth, simmer until nearly done, turning often. Add parsley and mushrooms. Cook five minutes. Serves four.