Find
Notify
Tools

Overlooked lentils
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Having made a vow to give up meat (and swearing hilbily ) for Lent, I have kept my eye open for new meatless recipes, and ran across this one for lentil soup. Made it last night and it was incredibly satisfying. I don't know why I so seldom cook with lentils as they really are delicious little critters.

https://kristineskitchenblog.com/lentil-soup/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I too enjoy them. The best lentil soup I ever had was in northern Quebec made by a French Canadian gal who was the cook for black bear camp. I think it had some bacon in it.

Another good item I like that is similar is chick peas/garbanzos. I grew some a couple of years ago. Very versatile and I enjoy them most in a mixed salad with a freshly grilled steak or chop.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, have I got one for you. Years ago I knew a young lady that worked at a vegetarian restaurant on the Drag in Austin, directly across from U.T. They made lentil burgers. Cook your lentils, drain all the excess water, make patties adding an egg or 2 to help hold it all together, fry just like burgers, buns + veg topping just like usual. You won't know the difference. I also have a recipe for eggplant spaghetti if you off meat for Lent. Super simple. Peel + dice your eggplant then fry it in the skillet just like it was H.B. then add your spaghetti sauce, black olives, mushrooms, etc. Basically cook it just like spaghetti. Once again, you will not know that you are not eating meat. BTW, I'm a registered carnivore + both of these recipes are REALLY good.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I made a lentil chili. Tasted great.
You can mix lentils into other things like pea soup with brisket and bacon or pork belly. Lentils can be blended smooth like a pea soup. southwestern spices go well with this lovely and flexible dish.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, if you consider eggs as meat + some do, + thus being a lent violation, do with out, the patties still hold together just fine. Sorry, can't help you with the swearing. Wink

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I love lentils!

One of my favorite dishes is CHICKEN DANSAK.

It is an Indian dish, with chicken and lentils in a curry.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good one. There is an Indian restaurant on South Congress Blvd. that serves that. They throw in the whole chicken + you can pick out the bones on your own. No worries for some of us but there are a lot of spoiled westerners. And you are so right; beaucoup of curry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loved black lentils (Dal Makhani) since I lived in India. Crazy good! https://www.cookwithmanali.com/dal-makhani/

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I've loved black lentils (Dal Makhani) since I lived in India. Crazy good! https://www.cookwithmanali.com/dal-makhani/

That recipe looks very good. I have never seen black lentils in a store (I see tan and orange/red here) but it is real small town here. I have to drive an hour for a big city so next time I go I will look for an Indian market. I always hit the Asian, Eastern Euro, and Chinese markets when I do go there.

Lentil info. I learned a lot here:

https://www.fao.org/pulses-201...ow-about-lentils/en/

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Here is a spicier lentil recipe from my cousin in Bethesda.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purchase a Blendtec blender. Go to store and buy a bunch of green leafy vegetables, some cabbage, and some carrots, For a few evening meals every week just throw a small bottle of water in the blender, and add some greens, some cabbage, and some carrots. Blend it up real good and drink it. Done! You might lose a few pounds (I lost 39 when I did it - along with a lot of walking). You'll fee better too and you might even drop a few points of blood pressure tu2

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote