Find
Notify
Tools

chili
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
Nothing fancy here. Just my regular chili recipe in the crock pot for tomorrow night + 30 minutes before serving an iron skillet of cornbread.
1 lb. ground beef or venison
1/2 pkg. each of pinto + red beans
1 lg. can Ro-Tel tomatoes + chilies
Garlic, Cumin, Chili Powder, Paprika
1 diced onion
Cook overnight + through tomorrow on low. Supper is done at the end of the day + all day the house smells like Heaven. Really appreciated right now with all this icy weather.
P.S, Bill ,you already know this but if you're feeling adventurous, add some Smoky Mo's BBQ sauce. I works great for "plain" beans but really enhances the chili.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds heavenly, Randy! tu2

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I like to cube steak up then brown it well, Crisp up some bacon in 1” pieces or you can use pork belly. Caramelize the peppers and onions then cook up with the spices of my mood for a no bean chili. It is amazing.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything goes. I have yet to have a bowl of chili that I didn't like. I DO know that many traditionalists abhor the idea of beans in chili. To each his own. Personally, I like them + sometimes I even add corn. C'mon, Live!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the beans on the side -- pinto, of course. And if the mood strikes you, you can mix them up.

Posts: 10027 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I have had success turning baked beans into a good chili. It sounds weird but somehow it works. Baked beans are quite sweet but if you add the heat of some strong chili pods and spice it right, it is amazing. A good amount of bacon too. You would have to taste it to believe it. you can balance the sweetness with the hot and earthy spices.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Chili is basically a soup. I put beans in mine plus a lot of diced tomatoes.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of tomatoes are a given! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, looks elegantly simple. I like to cube up and brown chuck roast like Boomie, and serve the pintos on the side like lavaca but it is all good -- and particularly so "when the weather outside is frightful, and a fire is so delightful."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made some pheasant stew last week and it was fantastic but it's all gone.

I've been inspired by all the chili posts so I'm doing something with that later this week.

The wife prepp'd a mountain goat roast yesterday for enchiladas tonight so I won't cook until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Sacrilege. Beans can be in proximity with chili, but cannot be included unless properly introduced.

Joking of course.

Posts: 10027 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another pet peeve -- ground meat in chili.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Ground beef has no place in chili.
That is called a Sloppy Joe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've made chili with pulled and ground meat. It all eats the same to me. Shanks are great for stuff like chili.

I've even made chili out of squirrels.

I was reading on a facebook hunting/game meat cooking group where people had great success with muskrat chili, bobcat chili, etc. There were a few complainers who did the 'eww, I won't eat that'. I'd eat cat and muskrat over possum any day but honestly, meat is meat, stewed, ground, roasted or grilled.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real Texas Chili doesn't have BEANS!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Moose or muskrat, as long as it is not ground up but cubed or pulled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Lavaca + Hogbreath, I said going in it was going to be sacreligious to some, quite frankly, I like beans in my chili. BTW, are you aware of the birth of the term (other than the pepper in old Mexico)? This came from the cattle drives in the late 1800s. When a cow would drop from any number of ailments, the cook snatched it up + made supper, using beaucoup amounts of chili to hide the taste of the sick, +/or rotten meat. And of course the cowboys staple; beans on the side.Not so hard to believe when you consider that "mixed drinks" started during prohibition to disguise the taste of rotten alcohol.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, for the better part of my life, "chili" meant Nalley's canned chili -- made with "hangabur" and pintos. I survived on this stuff, mac and cheese, and PB&J sammiches in college. So it will always have a place in my heart.
I will make a batch of yours here real soon -- after I finish up the Mississippi pork roast I made in the Crockpot yesterday.
Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
made with "hangabur"

rotflmo

~Ann

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I guess I had better not move to Texas. I make my chili with ground critter AND pintos! The horror. Smiler Now green chile (not chili) stew must have cubed critter; no ground in that!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo clap

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Armadillo Chili?
Comes with its own bowl.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ground meat does not belong in chili. The beans are up to the user.

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I can see the room for Spam chili.
Cube and fry the spam and then the rest is up to you instead of bacon, then add your moose or marmoset.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spam! Now that's just downright nasty. You know that for years here in Austin we had an event called Spamarama which included recipes, spam tossing for distance, spam throwing for effect, ad nauseum; no spam misuse was negleted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, speaking of what's in the crock pot. This afternoon I started a boston butt boneless pork roast covered with "Woody's" cook in BBQ sauce + 2 cups of water. Can't be easier than that. Cook all night + all day tomorrow + by tomorrow night it will just fall apart. It is great with mashed potatoes + the leftover woody's juice makes a very nice gravy.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/_bW4vEo1F4E

Properly rendered spam that had been browned does have a place in certain foods. I only like it properly cooked as stated and in Hawaiian pasta salad or with greasy spoon breakfast foods and dishes that are like adding pancetta.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, the internet use of the word spam was thought up by the internet moguls of today due to their college days + watching Monty Python.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't mean to cause a stir. Each to his own. Personally, I don't put beans in my chili.

And as to Ann's comment about squirrels, I used to make a lot of goose chili when I had a lot of geese. But you can use goose meat for anything for which you'd use beef.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to mention venison. I raised my boys (+ their high school friends) on venison chili. When the word went out at the high school that I was making a pot of venison chili I would have at least 17 hungry teenagers show up for supper. And you know how teenage boys can put it away. That's been 25 years ago + I still those boys on occasion at the grocery store + they still all call me Dad. A good feeling.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:

Correct.

If one wants to discuss making, eating, judging or comparing "chili," then the topic does not include beans--of any sort.

True chili is meat, peppers and water. Plus some seasoning.

However, if one wishes to include bean in their chili, then the correct topic would be "chili with beans."

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, I knew it would bring a reaction. Folks are touchy on this subject. I suppose the only thing to draw more controversy would be to have a nxxxer come into your church + piss in the font.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy,

Actually, the only thing that could cause more controversy was your last comment. I'm sorry, but I can't let it pass. Not appropriate.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Since I am not in Texas, I will give you the only US approved chili recipe; the one used by the Army. I won't list the quantities since it feeds 100.
Ground beef
Canned tomatoes
KIDNEY beans. NO pinto beans!!!
Onion
Chili powder
Cumin
Sugar
Salt
And; always served over rice.
And this is the way I make it too.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:

Correct.

If one wants to discuss making, eating, judging or comparing "chili," then the topic does not include beans--of any sort.

True chili is meat, peppers and water. Plus some seasoning.

However, if one wishes to include bean in their chili, then the correct topic would be "chili with beans."

No tomatoes? nilly

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I like tomatoes in some chili.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep-stewed or diced for me! But then I also like beans, various peppers, onions, meat. . . . . Damn, I'm hungry just thinking about it. Sorry-I'm not a purist when it comes to chili. Big Grin I like your thinking and your recipe dcpd-similar to my wife's!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, there was a chili emporium in Austin. Can't remember the name of the place and I'm sure they are no longer around, but it was good and you could get whatever version of chili you wanted there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, I think you're talking about "The Texas Chili Parlor" at 16th + San Jacinto. + yes they have a plethora of good chili. Even Guy Clark mentioned them in one of his songs; + yes to the best of my knowledge they are still there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make chili any way you want, just add tomato juice and you will love your chili more!

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote