New
Find
Notify
Tools

The old Jaguar and I...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that will keep me out of debt, won't be trading the old XK-8 and buying anything from Jaguar.

The baby 2-seater is totally impractical for trips over night. I test drove two, a standard V-8 and the R model. Both rode like my old Dodge Diesel, and offered about the same mileage.

I think Jaguar management could screw up a one-car funeral.

It's okay with them, I'll just keep the old convertible...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I guess that will keep me out of debt, won't be trading the old XK-8 in and buying anything from Jaguar.

The baby 2-seater is totally impractical for trips over night. I test drove two, a standard V-8 and the R model. Both rode like my old Dodge Diesel P/U, and offered about the same mileage.

I think Jaguar management could screw up a one-car funeral.

If it's okay with them, I'll just keep the old convertible...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
You didn't see the Jaguar XF??!!
Peter.

I bought my wife an XF, with the supercharged 5.0 litre engine. That sumbuck will fly, speed limited to 177 mph (or so says the manual) I tried to prove it on the Farm to Market Road that goes to our place (FM roads in Texas are paved and are usually pretty good roads), it has a straight section about 2 1/2 mile long with plowed fields on both sides, so you can see if a pig or cow is heading for the road, I was well on the way to 177 and nearly there when I ran out of...balls. Maybe next time.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2763 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the XF is a great sports car, no question. At 65+ I just want a comfortable GT. Mine has now made ten round trips to the St Louis area, about 4000 miles here to there and back. The Nevada HP clocked me at 159.6mph coming back from SCI in the old days when it was in Reno.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drove my Jag cross country this past summer, thinking of doing it again.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard,

mine causes me to think about someplace at least a thousand miles away with a worthwhile museum to see, or a major shoot to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
maybe one day rotflmo
[URL= ]dream car[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
maybe one day rotflmo
[URL= ]dream car[/URL]

Chrysler? Looks to have a Fiat-Chrysler grille.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]jaguar[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has the jumping Jag a Were horse on the back.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm warning you! :>Wink

regards,

Rich

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Race car with a 2 speed Powerglide? A wannabee, but not a race car.

Still a whole bunch of beefed up PowerGlides in several classes of drag racing.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I know what you are saying. The new Cameros that were a very limited production and not street legal had modified Powerglides. I guess a drag car is considered a racecar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, they do call it drag racing...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess so ISS, kinda like me drag racing my Mitsubishi Lancer at a street light. Ain't nobody beat me off the line, but they catch me quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Summer of 1972 I got a tricked out 440+6 for my RR. Came with a Hemi stall convertor. I ran a set of 4:88 gears all season, street and track.

That bird could get to redline by about the 1/8th mile marker in drive. Then, it was hold on and see if the other guy could catch me.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The first GTOs had 2-speeds and did 0 to 125 mph with one shift (and about 6 miles per gallon on a cold day). Smiler

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor, who was six years older than me, graduated from HS; and joined the USMC the next week. He did two tours in 'nam, got out and came home. About a week later, he went to the Chevy dealer and came home with a '64 Malibu SS with the 427 cid 425 horse version of the W-motor and a power glide. Pretty fast car...