New
Find
Notify
Tools

The old Jaguar and I...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Race car with a 2 speed Powerglide? A wannabee, but not a race car.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe, but the new ZL-1 camaros can be had with a powerglide. Can't be beat for a pure drag car.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the new ZL1 cars are drag only with a very powerful motor and are not able to be registered for the street.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 56 Vette was reliable and cool. The worst thing was it's heavy steering.

By 1964 I had the 'camp' up north in VT where being 'german' was fun at the time. I ordered a new Porsche 912 with the extra cost 5 speed transmission.

That car as a major piece of junk.

I got an old Impala 6 to bring stuff to the camp in and finish the addition and well water. That was a reliable car.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the shift bracket that my late dad repaired after Porsche could not provide one or make it right.

He made that ring and brazed it to the bracket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a kinda rare optioned 1965 356SC, when did you get your 912?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the red 912 five speed in 1966. I ordered it with a gasoline heater.

The 912 also suffered compete engine failure under warranty.

The old Chevy Impala was a much more useful car.

Thus I ordered a new 1969 Ford XL convertible. This had the 429 with AC! It was the most fun and satisfactory car I ever owned.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's a R-E-D one across the street from our old house like that. The Ford. The elderly gentleman also has a 1966 7litre Gaxalaxie 500 with buckets and a 4-speed.

He and his wife bought a new Mustang convertible when they first came out. One of an early handful with the 260 and a stick.

talk about some neat toys...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99,
I bought my 1965 356SC from a doctor in Anchorage, Alaska. I worked at Eero VW and Porsche. It had a problem and he decided not to fix it. Options were an extra speaker, seat slide extenders, luggage rack, limited slip diff., heated windshield,European exhaust, and a Eberspracher gas heater. The cylinders were cast iron bores with Aluminum fins.
Sure wish I still owned it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The car I had that the lady who became my wife liked best was the 1970 Olds Toronado. Mine was blue with the 455 engine.

I had studded snow tires on their own wheels for winter.

The Ford had guts and felt fast. The Toronado was good for easy going.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Olds was a sight to see at the drags. Wind it up, sidestep the brake and watch the front tires just fill the air with burning rubber and smoke...

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is the Berkeley that I bought when I was in college. It is the only digitalized pic I have of the little car.

The car was tiny, massively impractical but a complete delight for a 21 year old to drive to college although only in warm weather. I seriously doubt if anyone's daughter ever got impregnated in a Berkeley.

I can't bend enough now to even get in it now but I'd give my right arm to have it sitting here in my office just to look at.

Butch is the only other person I ever met who had one of these.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In high school in the late 1950's few students had any car at all let alone a cool one.

One of the best looking blondes got picked up in front of us as we left school to walk to the bus stop.

The guy looked to be in his 20's and drove a MG TD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$$$ + Wheels = all the women you want.

I was a sophmore, farmed all that summer before school, and had a 57 Ford Fairlane 500 and always a hundred dollars in my pocket. It was amazing how much better I did with the ladies from then on out...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The elderly gentleman also has a 1966 7litre Gaxalaxie 500 with buckets and a 4-speed.

Good Lord...hadn't thought about a certain silver and black 1966 Galaxie 500 7 Litre in 20 years! What a car and what fun to leave tire smoke and rubber through downtown Ennis, Texas. Probably put you in jail for it now.
Thanks for the reminder.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2763 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

the old days...

this one is a white convertible with bright red leather interior.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Went car shopping over the weekend.

They stopped production of the XK models. Pitty. I guess nobody wants a tourer any more.

The F type, though a nice little car, is just that a small sports car, not a GT.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't see the Jaguar XF??!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Peter. I drive a lot (usually alone) and just prefer GTs/coupes. My S 550 had over 200,000 mi when I gave it to my son and the back seats had passengers maybe 4 or 5 times total in those 5 years. My '13 911 Carrera S had 40,000 mi on it. Dunno why I got the 911..........well yeah, it is one helluva car, but not right for my needs. But those 40K reinforced the whole need for a gentleman's GT.

I really enjoyed driving the F type- a fun little car, but like the 911 it is a sports car. The comfort setting made it a little bit softer/more comfortable as a daily with significant less road noise than the 911 (I could never use the blue tooth in it), but again a sports car- I decided I needed a true GT.

The Aston Martin DB 11 won't be out til '17 so I got an S 550 Coupe.

At 1000 mi I'm going to get the Renntech ECU, which will boost HP by 101 and add 90 ft-lb of torque, a shade under S 63 numbers: 530 HP & 606 lb-ft vs 577 HP & 664 lb-ft

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote