New
Find
Notify
Tools

The old Jaguar and I...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from the St Louis area visiting family. And Busch Stadium.

Put another 4400 +/- miles on it with no issues and got 25+mpg with it. It just likes to run between 80 and 90. Turned 135,000 on it coming back, so much for reliability issues with the Ford-owned era.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to know! A jag XK8 is on my bucket list, but I am now leaning towards a Lexus SC430.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a tough choice. The Jaguar sports cars have panache...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

You got any pictures of your Jag? I'd like to see some.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
issues and got 25+mpg with it. It just likes to run between 80 and 90. Turned 135,000 on it coming back, so much for reliability issues

My '06 S-Type gets 26 all day long at 75.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
neat touring care, to be sure.

That said, you only get to put the top down once...

rotflmo

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could say something, but will let you have your fun.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
which one of us?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
You know how much I love jag o weres, but have fun with them.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes.

It's like my Grandfather (who was married nearly 56 years to one, and had twelve children with her) said about redheaded women: when they are good, they are amazing. When they are bad: always remember the hair color shows how close to the surface the fire is.

I enjoy the banter.

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
"

That said, you only get to put the top down once..."

The sun roof works every time Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's a hole in the roof. I said "Put the top down". And back up, and back down, and back up, and back down again. Like my wife and I do driving the back roads from the Boise area to the Oregon coast 5-6 times every summer.

That said, you really do have a very nice touring car.

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Actually, I call it an "engineered leak" (knock wood). Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAAAAAAArrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

My wife had this bright idea coming home that we should drive all the way across Colorado on I-70 until we hit Spanish Fork, UT, and just run up I-15 to I-80/84.

This, until 4:30pm on Thursday afternoon and she realizes that includes Denver and rush hour traffic. Map says at Brighton, CO, turn north on hwy 385 and go to Chappell, NE. Gorgeous deserted road, passed one P/U in 60 miles.

Stretching the cars legs a little, I have this Pheasant dive bomb my driver's side headlight nacelle. Half of the bird is wedged under the nacelle, the rest disintegrated. I think impact speed was somewhere between 135 and 140mph. Insurance Company sent me to a buddy's shop for an estimate. Nearly $1700.

Gives an entirely new meaning to the phrase "pheasant under glass...".

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Jeeeez, now you know what pilots worry about!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no kidding...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Just got back from the St Louis area visiting family. And Busch Stadium.

Put another 4400 +/- miles on it with no issues and got 25+mpg with it. It just likes to run between 80 and 90. Turned 135,000 on it coming back, so much for reliability issues with the Ford-owned era.

Rich

What model Jag do you have? When the XKE came out I went up to Hartford to see it. It was $5000 or so. More than I had.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is a 2000 XK-8 convertible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2000 XK-8 convertible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1961 I bought a 1956 Corvette convertible also with the hard top.

The car had been raced and had a 3.55 final gear to the powerglide trans. It also had the 265 V8 with two four barrel carbs. It was white with a gold cove and black soft top.

It did not have power steering but had the fast but heavy steering ratio.