THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Winchester High Wall vs. Browning High Wall

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester High Wall vs. Browning High Wall
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
One of these more desireable than the other? Why? Pros/cons of each?

Thanks! Smiler

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The usual Browning "highwall" is loaded with lawyer proofing gadgets and really should not be disassembled by the owner without special tools (pins, retainers, etc.) and a set of instructions. Such a kit is available for about $25. A "real" (origional or accurate replica) Winchester 1885 highwall is easy to disassemble for cleaning and has no unnecessary parts. The Browning is a nice rifle but I can't think of one "pro" for it (except $?) compared to the Winchester.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I think I'm starting to get it.

Must keep looking.....

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Such a kit is available for about $25.

Where can find this kit?
And I understood that most of the changes to the Miroku made repros are due to ease of manufacturing (not all attorney driven Smiler )

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1885 Browning is changed from the previous B78 since that one IIRC had some trigger problems .The 1885 is beautifully made by Miroku with Badger barrel as I understand.It can be taken apart without a kit .I made other mods.It's really a gem in 45-70 !!PM me if you want some detailed info. The original is a much simpler design, without some of the safety features ,though I can't tell you who makes a good one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yete/Mete...

The kit is available (or was about 6 mo ago) from John Stepp (530) 365-7036 and is $25.00. This is from a ad in the Single Shot Exchange magazine.
My last silhouette rifle was a Browning 1885 BPCR "highwall" in 40/65. A very nice rifle with a great Badger barrel. It has been replaced with a C. Sharps Arms 1885 highwall (also with a Badger barrel) in 45-70. Again the Browning (especially the BPCR model) is a very good rifle but the C. Sharps highwall, to me, is nicer in every way and is easily disassembled for cleaning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it has been some time since I played with my Browning '85s, so the memory may be dim. However, I just bought one of the Davidson's '85 Creedmore Winchesters in .45-90. The real difference seems to be that the Winchester does not have a rebounding hammer, and has a longer barrel than the .45-70 or .40-65. All of them have great wood.

Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the original Win 1885 which was made up to about WWI. A much simpler action. The main flaw is the stock is held on by tangs not by a stock bolt, but this is easily fixed.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been enjoying a couple of the Cimarron/Uberti's the past several years. The 30-40 Krag will shoot under an inch at 100 and under 2" at 200. I built a 15lb 50-110 on one last year and it is about as accurate.

Soldily made, and the new DST PG Deluxe is really accurate in 38-55

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother has a high wall Browning 45-70. I have a high wall Winchester 45-90. They were both built for BPCR. About everything is identical except my 45-90 has a couple inches longer barrel -- Identical sights, both Badger barrels, identical stocks etc. The prices on the Brownings ski-rocketed from about $800 to about $2,000 in a very short time. The Winchesters seemed to have started at about $2,000 and stayed there. ????

"There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a 30-06." Lindy Wisdom