Find
Notify
Tools

Upgraded Ruger No.1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted
Some time ago there was a post here about Uberti building an "African" style single shot based on their Winchester High Wall repro. It had several features that I liked and a few others that I wasn't so wild about, but the idea was a good one.

Well, a few months later I decided to contact R.J. Renner to see what he could do in the same vein with a Ruger No.1A in .25-06 I had but never shot. Here's the result of that conversation:

It's now a .275 Rigby (aka 7x57 Mauser) in his "African Light Rifle" configuation with iron sights and stock dimensions that actually fit me. I couldn't be happier with my choice of directions. It's a lovely piece of work.

Local ranges here have just recently re-opened and I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, and I'm eager to rectify that soon.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking rifle, Steve. I've been on the Renner web site many many times. He has some really good re-models, and yours is outstanding.

Congrats,

Ed

Posts: 680 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a fine looking rifle !! Ruger should be doing something along these lines.

Posts: 1007 | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the profile of the barrel.

Posts: 10826 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle Steve. Good choice on calibre as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Looks most lovely. Renner has a gift.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of modifying a #3 along the lines of Renner's version.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had R. J. Renner work on a Ruger #1 275 Rigby a couple of years ago. He does exceptional work, for what he charges. Very nice rifle.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow that looks great!!! I had him do his Rigby treatment to my CZ 550.....what a difference in looks and handling. Your post is urging me to send my #1 to him.
Did he re-contour the barrel on yours himself?

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have a two step process to pick a number 1 to send to Renner. First a caliber I want. Second, better wood than the usual fence post Rugers are stocked with. Which makes me think of a third, a new stock.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His website says he uses faux ebony for the tip. I wonder why?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex84:
His website says he uses faux ebony for the tip. I wonder why?

Maybe because it's getting harder and harder finding good ebony these days. And, it's getting expensive.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's a beauty. I should do something like that with my Ruger No. 3

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Steve. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

Since coming across Renner's page on his Ultra Light No.1, I've been mentally whittling away the stock on my No.1. A 5.6 lb No.1--I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I have gotten out to the range with this rifle a couple of times, at last. Initial shooting at 50 yards to get the sights dialed in and break in the barrel ended up with one load basically putting three shots into one hole. This one's a keeper for sure.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bpesteve, Good shooting with a very classy rifle and cartridge.
I shoot 7x57AI in a TC Encore which is as ugly as your rifle is beautiful! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Ruger needs to make these from the factory.
Great execution.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I find a number 1 in the right caliber and good wood I would buy it and send it off to Renner.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe because Faux Ebony will shrink away from the walnut over time as they don't cure it anymore, they just cut it up in blocks of 12 inches and send them off to sell....I still have some and I soak it in Alcohol and try to draw the oil out..It seems to work, but in time it may not..??????Also I like the option of the Alex Hendry and schnable forends..

I have a RJ Renner feather weight mod. 77 iron sights, stock is schnable forend, side panals, trigger job etc. etc. all the bells and whistles in a long throated 7x57...Its my all time favorite rifle these days and its a half/incher with all loads so far and to the same POI with the 3 loads I settled on, A 130 Speer, a 245 Speer, and a 175 gr. Nosler Partition, but shot Nosler 160s in it last week so that one joined the Renner club..It,s not one of my sale guns in the classified..It and my pre 64 30-06 fwt remain and Im off to Texas for whitetail in both North and South Texas God willing and the creek don't flow..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice gun and very informative thread.

I am going to get a 303 built in the near future.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote