Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No 1 450/400
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted
I took advantage of the Cabelas clearance sale recently and bought a Ruger No 1 450/400. It has fairly nice wood and I got it at a great price.

Rifle has a very crisp 3lb trigger out of the box. I put a Swarovski 1.5x6 on it in Ruger 30mm rings.

First trip down to the range and I'm very pleased.

Load is IMR4831, Fed 215 with Bell brass behind a Woodleigh 400gr soft at 100 yds.

Should do a nice job on our Texas pigs!

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's nice shooting, especially for a No. 1 in that big of caliber. I was looking at those (and one in the classifieds here) but I just have too many cartridges now that I don't shoot.

Sometimes, I think that I could get myself down to three or four hunting rifles and never miss the rest of them at all.

Edited

I have a Ruger No. 1 but it's in 270 Win, I have trouble with the occasional flyer but the trigger is good.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12556 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since when could you get a No. 1 with a crisp 3 lb. trigger? I've owned No. 1's for fifty years and, to me, the magic word is "Kepplinger".

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's good shooting, .470. I found the recoil to be unpleasant enough to demand a Limbsaver, which made a nice improvement. But I am more sensitive than most to recoil, apparently.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16430 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Ruger #1's, and they both shoot sub MOA, one in .300 H&H and the other in .375 H&H. Trigger pulls are about 3 lbs or less on both of them. I love the #1's, especially with the Trop Safety installed. I've also owned two 7x57's that both shot great. JMO

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I've heard about poor triggers in No 1s but this is my first one and it's great.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have No. 1 and 3's in calibers ranging from 22-250, 6Br, 348Win. and 45/70. For hunting rifles find no fault in them at all including the triggers. They are not "bench queens" and stories about the forearm needing bedded, etc., is a myth from my experience. The forearm hanger and wood forearm makes no contact with the barrel with just the slightest of wood removal from the barrel channel. Easy and quick fix if it is even a problem to start with on the riles.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hmmm; had several #1s and they all had very usable triggers; down to one 375 and one 450-400 now.

Posts: 17139 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Hmmm; had several #1s and they all had very usable triggers; down to one 375 and one 450-400 now.

Usable yes, but certainly not great. Maybe I am spoiled by Jewells...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Usable yes, but certainly not great. Maybe I am spoiled by Jewells...

I wish Jewell made a trigger for the No. 1 rifles. Canjar used to. There's the Moyers trigger but that is just a duplicate of the older, adjustable factory trigger. I do have the Jard trigger in one of these, and it's quite good. Better than the best of the factory triggers after they were worked on by a gunsmith experienced with them.

Posts: 1017 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the #1 in 450-400 for about 5 yrs now. I use cast bullets in it, I have some bullets for it in 210,300,350 and 400, that have not been used yet, I like the 320gr cast bullet I use, easy on the constitution and the pocket book. I run it at 2050, much nicer than the 400gr to shoot. Limbsaver or a Decelarator is a great investment for it. I see it as a really versatile cartridge and fun to tinker with.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Target triggers on DG rifles is a recipe for disaster IMO...3 lbs is about right and 4 won't hurt as long as they break clean..

I have heard a lot about no. 1s not shooting, but every one Ive owned shot very well indeed, and a few of them needed some TLC in the forend. Jack Belk makes a V looking gizzie that makes them all shoot great..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote