New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger African rebore ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there enough meat on a Ruger hawkeye african barrel in .338 or .300 to rebore to .458?
Thanks in advance

Posts: 418 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Measure the barrel at the muzzle. It it's .750" in diameter it can be done. Might get away with a little less, say .700", but of course that would be up to the fella that rebores it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Not really to disagree

If the barrel is .658 or larger, then yes .. or where the barrel is .658, that's the max length .. groove diameter + .100+.100 to have .100 on each side of the bore .. that's the current safety thinking..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Seems like over the last coupel of months there has been an increase in questions about reboring a factory barrel. Most are simply new manufacture. Just curious as to why one would want to rebore a basic facotry when you can get new for the same $$. Just never made sense to me.

Yes I know in this case the African has sights but could you not move them to a new barrel?

I fully understand on older rifles with unique contour.

Jeffe wasn't ITDs limit on a new barrel .125" per side or is my memory in error again?

Oh well time for coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
.100 on each side of the bore .. that's the current safety thinking..

opinions

In your mind, not mine, but that's OK.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
OKay .. so now the margin is .125 ..

Funny, I have has guns with .065 a side, been shooting for "100 years" and have had no issues .. Savage 99g, 358 winchester, for example .. Identical pressure curve as a 458 winmag.. NO WHERE NEAR .100 per side.

Most english double guns .. NOTHING like 1/2" of extra steel at the muzzle ... (125+125+125+!25) ..

But, then again, I don't control your risk profile ... though 100 years of gunsmithing has allowed for .125 to be a MAX of a sporter weight, and anything larger is a bull barrel ...

and .025 AINT going to save your hands if you blow up a gun with an overload or obstructed muzzle .. if you BLOW UP a gun by misuse, you are going to do with with 1/2" on either side.

safety margin and lawyer margins, blurring into the same aspect...

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jeffe, I have no clue what is the right number. I was thinking you and I had talked about ITDs very genereous .125 per side requirement on the barrels they chamber and installed.

I pulled my notes. I had asked for both a .375 & .411 barrel be the same contour a Douglas #3 which is .625. They refused to do the .411 on a #3 which would have been .214. They said they wouldn't go below .25 for liability concers. As it ended up the 375 was supposed to be #3 & the .411 a #4. Actual measurement the 375 is .64 and the .411 .68 so both ended up greater than .26. Overkill? I'm sure. The 458 MKX barrel I have in the safe is .220.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I am always confounded at how much lawyering up some things trend to ... *I* think .250 is a PIG .. but that's my opinion,-- and that + $2.85 will get you a starbucks Smiler

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Cliff LaBounty did my three rebores he wanted .10" a side. My factory Ruger M77RS 35 Whelen goes .560" at the muzzle and is darn lean all the way there. Just my personal experience.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Seems like over the last coupel of months there has been an increase in questions about reboring a factory barrel. Most are simply new manufacture. Just curious as to why one would want to rebore a basic facotry when you can get new for the same $$. Just never made sense to me.

Yes I know in this case the African has sights but could you not move them to a new barrel?

I fully understand on older rifles with unique contour.

Jeffe wasn't ITDs limit on a new barrel .125" per side or is my memory in error again?

Oh well time for coffee

A rebore and rechamber is $350. I was quoted ( for labor only) $350 by the same guy to install barrel band swivel, barrel band sight, andrear sight. That is without buying a new barrel and paying to have that fitted.

Posts: 418 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with harms on this one. I have an 06 on a Springfield 03 action that has a fairly heavy barrel, about .760 at the muzzle. I want a 35 Whelen or 338-06, and thought about going the rebore path. It has some simple open sights on it, nothing special or unique. So I would like to find out where one can buy a high quality barrel, it has a Douglas on it now, that can be fitted, chambered, sights mounted and reblued for $350? Is there some secret code you use with gunsmiths to get a price like that? So far the best I have come with for a rebarrel and the rest of the work, having to contour the new barrel, is in the neighborhood of $600.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Not really to disagree

If the barrel is .658 or larger, then yes .. or where the barrel is .658, that's the max length .. groove diameter + .100+.100 to have .100 on each side of the bore .. that's the current safety thinking..

Jeffe
I agree with you! Really, I can hardy believe it myself.

quote:

Funny, I have has guns with .065 a side, been shooting for "100 years" and have had no issues .. Savage 99g, 358 winchester, for example .. Identical pressure curve as a 458 winmag.. NO WHERE NEAR .100 per side.

Most english double guns .. NOTHING like 1/2" of extra steel at the muzzle ... (125+125+125+!25) ..

But, then again, I don't control your risk profile ... though 100 years of gunsmithing has allowed for .125 to be a MAX of a sporter weight, and anything larger is a bull barrel ...

and .025 AINT going to save your hands if you blow up a gun with an overload or obstructed muzzle .. if you BLOW UP a gun by misuse, you are going to do with with 1/2" on either side.

safety margin and lawyer margins, blurring into the same aspect...

Again, I concur....

quote:
Paul,
I am always confounded at how much lawyering up some things trend to ... *I* think .250 is a PIG .. but that's my opinion,-- and that + $2.85 will get you a starbucks Smiler

And again, I agree with you. I'm going to have to take a break for a while.
bewildered

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was quoted ( for labor only) $350 by the same guy to install barrel band swivel, barrel band sight, andrear sight. That is without buying a new barrel and paying to have that fitted

I'd get a second quote. Too Manytools did mine.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K