Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding a Howa Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted
I have bedded several rifles before quite succesfully but I have a question about bedding a Howa. On a remington etc you tape the recoil lug front, bottom and sides to allow clearance on the recoil lug pocket on all but the rear face which transfers the recoil. On the Howa, where the front action bolt goes into the lug, would you still tape the bottom of the lug to allow clearance or would you have the lug bottom out into the pocket/top of the pillar? If not, what is the front action bolt actually tightening onto?

The second question is would you have the rear tang tight into its recess or would you allow a slight clearance so that the only part of the action transferring recoil into the stock is the lug at the front.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Here is some sound advice.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=539108155#539108155

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that the complete lug,as to the front needs to be bedded as well.For recoil is backwards and needs more support on the front than the back,but the whole lug needs support.Tighten screw to the normal torque as you would when installing the action to the stock.Howa actions are a take off of the Wby Vanguards.For the Howa Company basicly copied the vanguard action. And the Vanguard action was desgined off of the Sako as for i was there,and the Sako action has the front of the lug bedded as well. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts regarding the rear tang?

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, i would bed the rear tang as well,for added support! Your front tang and rear tang both should be bedded as for action stability. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
I can apreciate that but the rear tang on the Howa doesent come to a sharp point like a remy action, it is 1/4" thick so yes it will be bedded underneath for support but should I also bed around the back of it too for extra recoil support? I was kinda thinking I might leave it some clearance at the back so that only the front recoil lug is taking the force? I wondered if it would minimese action distortion during recoil?

Any thoughts?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was kinda thinking I might leave it some clearance at the back so that only the front recoil lug is taking the force?

I never glass behind the rear tang.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
anyone else want to offer an opinion on this? I was hoping to get a few comments so i could get an idea of people who might have alternative viewpoints.

Thanks for the replies so far guys:-)

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Parkin:
anyone else want to offer an opinion on this? I was hoping to get a few comments so i could get an idea of people who might have alternative viewpoints.

Thanks for the replies so far guys:-)

You mean it ain't done yet??? Big Grin

I would leave a little clearance behind the tang as well.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bedding behind the tang is an open invitation for a split. Allways leave .005-.010" clearance in this area. Again, JMHO>

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys