THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Not G-smithing but more DIYers here - need fiberglassing a wood boat tips. Please PM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not G-smithing but more DIYers here - need fiberglassing a wood boat tips. Please PM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Building a wood rowboat/skiff. Plenty of you tube tips but looking resin recommendations especially stuff easier to work with by a newbie.

Feel free to PM me.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Keep up the good work -- i know ZIP about wood+composite construction .. NIL -- but Rutan's build manuals and Zeke Smith's building composite aircraft is probably overkill .. that i know a little about

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Check out the Glen-L forums.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about boat building but I prefer to use epoxy instead of polyester resin when working with fiberglass.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
West System epoxy is the standard around the Chesapeake. I'm an enthusiastic wooden boat guy and have built, owned and maintained wooden boats. I'm not big on
fiberglass on the whole hull. It adds a lot of weight. I think it can be helpful to tape the seams and wear points. But remember that all boats flex and go through a cycle swelling and shrinking which can crack and delaminate the epoxy/fiberglass. I do encourage you to saturate wood with thinned epoxy before painting. The wood and your paint job will last much longer. Go the Woodenboat Magazine forums and start reading. Good luck with your project. Building a boat is very worthwhile.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Go original, authentic, and historic; Birch bark, Porcupine needles, and pitch.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Building a wood rowboat/skiff. Plenty of you tube tips but looking resin recommendations especially stuff easier to work with by a newbie.

Feel free to PM me.

I've built two boats, not especially imaginative ones. One was an 8 foot rowboat from plans in a Popular Mechanics issue, the other a 14 foot catamaran from a book of plans. Both were coated with West System epoxy and then a white epoxy paint, and both need periodic sand/coat work.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14610 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

Feel free to PM me.

I've built two boats, not especially imaginative ones. One was an 8 foot rowboat from plans in a Popular Mechanics issue, the other a 14 foot catamaran from a book of plans. Both were coated with West System epoxy and then a white epoxy paint, and both need periodic sand/coat work.

My cousin built a Penobscot 14 (maybe 17?) and did epoxy and marine paint. Although I think he said if he did it again he’d fiberglass it.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No idea about fiberglas or epoxy coatings.
But, here are some ideas on stability.

I had a 12 footer made with 1/4" plywood and oak and coated with shellac.
It was heavy but quite stable for such a short and narrow boat. Bounced right off river rocks.

I also bought a 10 foot aluminum flat bottom boat and it was so unstable, had I sneezed, it probably would have done a 180.
If you need to keep it light, wider is best. Have fun with it.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
to all those that provided advice, thanks...

clamping and gluing ply wood

making a joint

clamping and gluing the bottom

how it looks from the topside

progress on fiberglassing the hull

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
I built one of these years ago. I learned a lot in the process and had many good years fishing with it.

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking boat. Done plenty of boat building / repair myself. Woodenboat Forum is friendly and lots of good advice.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice; I see you forgot the bow gun pintle mount which comes in handy during amphibious assaults.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By far the easiest and nicest to work is the West Systems or SP Epoxy's. Use a woven glass cloth - you lay the cloth on dry, poor on the mixed epoxy resin. Spread it with a squeegee - a piece of plastic - tuperware plastic is ideal. Let it soak for several minutes and then squeegee it hard to push cloth onto the wood. As it starts gelling you scrape off surplus, and you are left with a cloth / wood / epoxy composite, albeit with the cloth weave quite visble. One more coat is then required to fill the weave. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gcut7RLho8

A lot does though depend on how you will use the boat. Is it going to being left on the water, or on a trailer, and whether or not the underlying plywood is high quality Marine, or builders yard ply. The challenge with epoxy or epoxy glass coating wood, is that whilst its very good at keeping water out, its also very good at keeping water in. If its damaged and the water gets in, there is little chance for the water to get out again. Often a good marine grade paint does just as good a job.

But given that its likely to be a hunting boat I would make some duck boards for the inside so boots don't trample on the timbers and damage the paint.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Progressing well
Not much point in telling what I would do at this point..... but for another project:-
- 2-pack epoxy seal the ply & frames before sheathing
- vinylester resin ( its adhesion is better & resists osmosis better than FG )
-polyester flowcoat colour gloss.
- marine carpet on the floor when finished.
( not bling, just floor protection from damaging the seal ).
_ last a long time with an annual cut & polish of the flowcoat.

How much rocker did you put in the bottom ????
( bow- centre- stern ).
the amount of rocker determines how well the boat will handle steep chop/windwaves/standing waves...........no rocker makes a "stiff" boat that tends to take water over the bow as it resists bow lifting.
FWIW

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Mike- just watch more NCIS. If a Hollywood character can build a boat in his basement, you shouldn't have any problem...

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Doug,

If it wasn't for poor craftsman skills I would have zero craftsman skills.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good looking boat Mike. I'll stop by on my next VA visit.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ready for launch

Mike

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Really nice Mike!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

But for us withoyt the patience's to do so.

I brought a lot of good used alum boats for less then 100 dollars.

The last one a 14 foot jon boat that only need the wood on the transom replace. For 20.00 another 40 in materials.

A great boat that well out last a wooden one by decades.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth:

a) I don't have patience

b) I down scaled the design by 8% so it fit better in the back of my pick-up which has a tool box across the back of the bed. I don't do trailers. Probably get reported and have my man-card revoked.

c) I didn't do it because I thought it would be economical

d) I did it because it was a challenge for me and something I had never done before

e) I secretly think I am Leroy Jethro Gibbs

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work, we'll secretly start calling you Leroy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job, Mike.

I have built row boats, a duck boat (sneak box), and a cedar canoe. Labor of love, but not real difficult.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I am really impressed and this is what our next generation should be doing instead of staring down their smartphone.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9964 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
It floats

Mike

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Looking good Mike. Footages are high and dry.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice skiff!!

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it done and using it now.
Have fun, don't fall in etc.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6014 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote