Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Rifle for Charity
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted
I would like to begin a custom rifle project whos proceeds upon auction would go to the Ascent Russian Orphan Aid Foundation. My brother is Vice President of the foundation and would ensure that all proceeds went directly to the children. I have donated to this organization in the past and would like to do more. Im looking for the following assistance in this project.

Suggestions on caliber and general design to help in the sale would be greatly appreciated.

Rifle Parts: (stock blank, action, barrel, scope, etc)

Metalsmith:

Rust bluing work:

Engraver????

I will do the stockwork.

All donations will be publicly acknowledged.
None of the above needed parts has to be new or premium grade. You guys know what Im looking for. Please do not feel pressured by this message in anyway. If you do not wish to participate that is completely understandable. If you wish to learn more about the Ascent foundation please feel free to contact Jonathan. His contact information is listed below.

Jonathan Soverns

Vice-President

Ascent Russian Orphan Aid Foundation

E-mail: soverns@gci.net

Non-profit 501(3)(c) charity spends 100% of your donations to help orphans

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill that is very good of you.

I think that something on a mauser is going to work best, for initial cost/donations etc. How about a copy of a Mauser Model A, I got some pics once from Alf and they look incredible.

I think a universally great cartridge, 7x57, 257. maybe the 9.3x62. those are all ones that I would really be interested in. I would definitely not care about any short mags, the 300winmag. something easy to build the rifle into ya know.

I'm really intrested to see how it progresses. Maybe instead of a lot of engraving (I'm guessing Soverns engraving right Wink ) it could be something simple and the winner gets to have their initials/monogram engraved on the triggerguard.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Red,

Im no engraver.....(that is a scary thought). I was considering a classic cartridge as well. I happen to have sitting here an argentine barreled action (no bottom metal) Frowner thats already chambered in .257 Roberts. But I thought I would see what other suggestions I might or dontations.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a Winchester Singleshot or Sharps 1877. But few would agree. And with that in mind, I think your selection of cartridge and format should be very carefully chosen to match the way you are going to sell it.

If you are going to auction it, a very large caliber, very high dollar, no-holds barred rifle would be a good bet to suck money out of the one inestimably wealthy person that can afford it, use it, and needs a big tax write-off.

But if you are going to sell lottery tickets or raffle it to the common people, then something that appeals to as many people as possible, will sell more tickets than an elephant rifle. A good .30 caliber deer/elk rifle is doable, and while everyone has a .22, not many people have a truly handsome braggable .22, but everyone would be proud to own one.

Otherwise, cater to the eccentric and make it a Winchester, special sporting singelshot in .38-50 Remington please, or a '77 Sharps in .44-90 SBN

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,
I've got a Montana CM short action that I'll probably never get around to doing anything with. I'll be willing to donate it, all I'd ask in return would be some nice pics of the completed rifle. Let me know if you would be interested in it.

John

john@whiteoakarmament.com

Posts: 552 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Bill

You have a PM.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
GasGunner - you bet I would. I dont see why that wouldnt make a great base for a custom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how fancy a barrel you wish to put on the rifle. Maybe fancier than what I have to offer. But anyway, I have a new, unthreaded, 7mm Douglas XX barrel here. I think its either #2 or # 3 contour. I was going to put it on a Mauser Action and use it myself, but donating it to a good cause might be a better use for it if the rifle you wish to build is going to be in 7mm caliber.

Let me know.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have a brand new set of Warne Premier QD rings (the nice rings, not the ugly Maximas) that I will gladly donate. I even have the bases on hand, one set even has a built in peep in the rear base. Just let me know which base set you want and where to send them.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I have a 257 Rob reamer and H.S. gauge available for free loan if you decide that caliber.

I'd also like to hear more about your brother's charity.

Regards,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Bill, thought you were dabbling in that for some reason. Maybe you could have something done by Roger Kehr, he did the monogram on my TG and it looks great.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Since everyone got all the easy stuff, lol, I have an english walnut stock blank on it's way to you.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll look around and see what I have. Chic beat me to the blank, but my guess his is nicer than the English blank I have, and the one I have is not quite dry.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I will send you a pair of Dakota two-screw swivel bases. Post a mailing address or send me a PM.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Short action and 7mm barrel = 7mm-08 or 7mm WSM.

I'd go with the 7mm-08. It's a very flexible caliber and should have wide appeal for an auction or raffle.

I'll have a Jerry Fisher grip cap around here someplace. I'll be glad to send it your way if I can find it.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Update:

Donations:

Montana Short Action - gasgunner
7mm Douglas barrel - 22wrf
Warne Premier QD Rings - M1Tanker
Rust Bluing - Anonymous (2)
English Walnut Blank - Customstox
Dakota 2 screw Swivel bases - Glen71
Dakota Skeleton grip cap & recoil pad - Anonymous

I am overwhelmed at the incredible support from this site. Thank you everyone who have donated these items and services. I have narrowed the chambering down to 3 main choices. 280, 7x57, or 7mm-08. Maybe I will run a poll to see which one gets the most votes. About the only two critical things still needed are a metalsmith and a scope. The scope can wait until the project is near completion.

One thing I will also need is some good photographs taken of the finished rifle before auction. Im a lousy photographer. bewildered

Here are two pictures of the donated stock blank.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The O.D. of the 7mm barrel I have is .610 at the business end. I don't know what contour that makes it. Its 1.220 at the breach end, and I hope there is enough metal for that action. Never threaded. Will need a bit of polishing of course by the metalsmith.

Where do I mail it to.

P.S. A decent scope is not a cheap item, and of course you want a decent scope for the project. At least a Leupy VX-III or better.

In addition to the barrel I will commit $20.00 cash towards the purchase of a scope by Mr. Soverns. At the $20.00 level perhaps many more people can afford to participate in the project.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
22WRF,

Soon as I get a metalsmith lined up I will start having items sent in. For now lets keep in a holding pattern till I know where everything is going. I measured my .257 Roberts barrel by Douglas. Same as the one you have. Should work out just fine.

The scope Im shooting for is a Leupold 2.5-8 VX III. I think thats an appropriate power range for the selection of chamberings I have in mind, and its a nice compact unit. Thank you for the additional donation. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will do the metalwork.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to put in a vote for 7x57. Classic caliber and a good fit in the SA montana action.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
if I need to get the grip cap, recoil pad or etc let me know. I will also send the ebony for the forend if you like.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I will check next week on a scope and see what I can do.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I also have a color cased and chechered steel buttplate with the tear drop on it and a solid steel color cased grip cap if you want to go that route.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

Short action Montana+7mm Douglas barrel=.284 Whinchester in my book. Razzer Dang that would be fine. thumb

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill:

I'll donate the lettering to the project.

I wish I could donate more, but I'm sort of overloaded this year.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MT short action is long enough for 7x57, .257 Roberts and even for a 6.5x55. Pity to use it for a really short action case (although it would obviously work). My vote: .257 Roberts, everybody needs one of those.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'll second the 7x57mm or the .257 Roberts. Perfect for that action.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for a 284

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
posted Hide Post
DANG! I had a fine piece of curly maple I was going to send for the gun...hehe! Well, maybe next project. Build a 7x57 and don't look back and PLEASE don't long throat it!!! When it is done in a year or so.....let us all know so we can have a stab at it.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
If the Montana short action will take a 7X57, I'd certainly prefer the 7X57 over the 7mm-08.

If you've already got the grip cap handled, I'll have to come up with something else to provide. What about a NECG island sight w/ one standing and two folding sight, and a NECG banded front sight?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Grip cap is handled. NECG items would be more than welcome. Thank you! thumb

posted Hide Post
Good Evening Everyone!

I want to take a minute to thank those of you that have responded so quickly and generously to Bills proposal. You guys are amazing (and entertaining I might add) =) This is a great way to raise funds for Ascent! I am extremely appreciative! Rest assured that 100% of the proceeds from the auction will go directly to the project, orphanage or shelter of your choosing. Those of you that wish to learn more about Ascent, or it's new Rotary program, can follow these two links.

www.iorphan.org
www.orphanact.org

Again, Thank You so much for your generostiy and care!

Sincerely,

Jonathan Soverns
Vice-President
Ascent Russian Orphan Aid Foundation
E-mail: jonathan@iOrphan.org

Non-profit 501(3)(c) charity spends 100% of your donations to help orphans

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
You have a PM.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Any contribution from you is more than welcome!!!! Thankyou.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Update:

Donations:

Montana Short Action - gasgunner
7mm Douglas barrel - 22wrf
MetalSmith - Jim Kobe
Warne Premier QD Rings - M1Tanker
Rust Bluing - Customstox
English Walnut Blank - Customstox
Dakota 2 screw Swivel bases - Glen71
Dakota Skeleton grip cap & recoil pad - Anonymous
Scope - Leupold 2.5x8 matte - DPhillips
Jeff's Outfitters Leather Rifle Case - Anonymous
Ebony Forend wood - Gringo Cazador
NECG Iron Sights - ForrestB
Lettering Engraving - Scrollcutter
Custom Knife w/wood grip - Customstox

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang this is sounding good. Can't wait to see the finished rifle.

John

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I know I am coming on the tail end...but I don't see a sling here...

What do we want a Latigo leather shooting sling or a cobra basket weave carry sling...

Bill or Customox you make the call

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unbelieveable.
(I vote Rigby 275!)

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
What do we want a Latigo leather shooting sling or a cobra basket weave carry sling...

The former, definitely.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might have an extra Latigo sling around.
It may or may not be packaged with the Uncle Mike's QD sling swivels.

I will check on Tuesday.

-Spencer