Find
Notify
Tools

Roosevelt's Springfield?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Anyone have a URL for a photo or description of the 1903 Springfield sporter built for Teddy Roosevelt, or for Stewart Edward White?
Many thanks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roosevelt Springfield made at Springfield Armory.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Michael,
whicch one? (not being a jerk, just want to know) those are two VERY different stocks... the foreend tip and checkering pattern's are totally different.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Michael,
whicch one? (not being a jerk, just want to know) those are two VERY different stocks... the foreend tip and checkering pattern's are totally different.

Sorry, I don’t understand your question. The Roosevelt rifle was made at Springfield Armory and the White rifle was made by Ludwig Wundhammer in Los Angeles.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Michael: Greatly appreciate it. Looks like Springfield Armory attached a fairly standard rear sporting sight on the Roosevelt gun, but it appears Wundhammer left the original military rear on White's rifle, and added a Lyman 48. Also appears that both rifles retain the unaltered military bolt handle.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Michael: Greatly appreciate it. Looks like Springfield Armory attached a fairly standard rear sporting sight on the Roosevelt gun, but it appears Wundhammer left the original military rear on White's rifle, and added a Lyman 48. Also appears that both rifles retain the unaltered military bolt handle.

If I remember correctly (too lazy to look it up) TR ask for a Winchester rear sight on his sporter.

E.C. Crossman and his editor cooked up the idea of converting a 1903 Springfield into sporting rifle. They made five rifles at about the same time and published the work in three articles. White, Weld and Rodgers elected to leave the sight base left on theirs, Crossman and Colby had theirs removed. These were some of the first custom commercial sporting rifles made on the 1903. The rear sight is a Lyman-Crossman No. 34 , Crossman had five of these sight made for this project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mike,
these are no doubt some of the the rarest springfield rifles and the styling is just right , plain and simple lines but in my opinion ,mike your "george gibbs" takes the cake.....paul

bill,a springfield like one that you mentioned crossman,or wundhammer make for nice easy projects to duplicate if thats what yout thinking...paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
thanks for clearing that up for me...
EXCELLENT pics

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Paul: Fashioning an early-style Springfield sporter is exactly what I am up to, as I just swapped for a neglected SA in the 900,000 range, drilled and tapped for the Lyman sight. Now to just find a proper stock -- perhaps the Griffen and Howe iron sight model from Great American Gunstocks?

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
The Roosevelt rifle had "Roosevelt Springfield made at Springfield Armory." above the photo and the other had White Wundhammer -2 on the photo. I can understand where you would be confused. Confused

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Jeffe,
The Roosevelt rifle had "Roosevelt Springfield made at Springfield Armory." above the photo and the other had White Wundhammer -2 on the photo. I can understand where you would be confused. Confused

Another worthless and demeaning post by Customstox.

Have you lived past the age of six yet? Grow up!!!!!

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bill if the barrel is good on the gun your getting your project is almost halfway there a nice barrel band sling swivel look at the early g&h style it can be copied easily ,you can pick up a hooded barrel band front sight from wisner or recnagel there are a few out there ,lyman 48 should be easy to find at a gun show bottom metal stays which is what is nice about this project try to find an early hodel 70 butt plate it was common to find these on some sporters i have 2 g&h with them. do you have mikes book? ........paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote