New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a reamer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think it is somewhat like a drill bit, but have trouble believing that you can run a bit down a barrel and change a claiber. What am I missing?

Posts: 42 | Location: KCMO - But always an Okie | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
In a nut-shell, that's exactly what it is. A drill-bit in the profile of the cartridge.

However, you're cordless dewalt won't work for this task. you're going to need a gunsmith and lathe. Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Vodka, gin and exlax, shaken not stirred. Eeker

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BPregler:
I think it is somewhat like a drill bit, but have trouble believing that you can run a bit down a barrel and change a claiber. What am I missing?

A reamer can change the dimensions of the chamber to accept a different cartridge within the same caliber, but a chambering reamer doesn’t change the “caliber†of the bore.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So a reamer is for the chamber not the bore? How do you change the bore size?

Posts: 42 | Location: KCMO - But always an Okie | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If you want to change the bore, you have to drill a bigger hole and re-rifle the barrel.

-Or-

Buy another barrel entirely.

If you are thinking of changing from one caliber to another, what do you presently have and where do you want to go?

Or, are you perhaps just generally curious about going from cartridge to another? You've asked an honest question and are in the right to place to find out what you'd like to know...

Tex

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just gennerally curious. For example what do I have to do to change my 7mm Mag to 300 HH?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Always thought a reamer was a like a screamer only gay. Confused

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BPregler:
Just gennerally curious. For example what do I have to do to change my 7mm Mag to 300 HH?

If you want to rebore/rifle you have to first determine if you have enough barrel to accommodate the larger bore size and still have enough steel for safety and rigidity.

Then you have to consider if your mag box, feed rails, etc, will allow proper functioning with the much longer 300 H&H round. The 300 H&H case alone is .350†longer than the 7mm mag case.

By the time you add all of this up you might be better off selling the rifle you have and buying one in the caliber you want.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Ahh Rick..... must I always correct you! Bores are finished with reamers before they are rifled and chambers are cut with FORMING tools. He he he he he he : Rod Henrickson

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A reamer is used to finish the bore on a new barrel blank too, after deep-hole drilling. Then it is either honed and rifled or just rifled, depending on the maker and what degree of finish they want before rifling.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
Ahh Rick..... must I always correct you! Bores are finished with reamers before they are rifled and chambers are cut with FORMING tools. He he he he he he : Rod Henrickson

Yes, rod, I know that what everyone in the firearms business (including the companies that make and sell them) calls a chambering reamer, is more correctly referred to as a forming tool ...but what has that got to do with the man’s question?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What part of must I always correct you Rick did you not understand ,,,,,,,,, Rick! I never meant to contribute to the string in the first place. : Rod Henrickson

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rod,

I will be quite honest (and as polite as possible) by saying that I very rarely understand much of anything that you say on here. I will leave it to others to decide if that is due to my lack of intelligence or your penchant for rambling incoherently 99% of the time. beer

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
damn...what an opening for a joke...a reamer is a gunsmith who overbore on price and underbore on delivery roflmao

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27601 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kinda figured that Rick. But I don’t hold it against you! My folks was poor farmers and they made go to grade 12. Then they sent me to Gun smiting school in Denver. I compiled 2 years of study in 6 months. A Norwegian guy named Knut Nyland beet me out by a WEEK! Im still ticked off! Im sorry that I have talked over you Rick. In the future I will try to keep my posts at a grade 6 education level and I will endeavor not to ramble: Rod Henrickson

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two years of study in six months...perhaps that explains allot! Smiler

Sort of reminds me of the guy that said he was a speed-reader and had read War and Peace in 30 minutes. When asked to describe the story he said: “Uh...its about Russia!â€

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy big fella ,,,,,,,,, school is a hard thing to fathom if you have never been there: Rod Henrickson!

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
Easy big fella ,,,,,,,,, school is a hard thing to fathom if you have never been there: Rod Henrickson!

Once again you remind me of an old joke! Smiler

Some one says to a guy; “Hey, didn’t you go to school STUPID?â€...to which the guy replies; “Yeah, and I came out the same way!â€

School provides “education†not “intelligenceâ€...and if ever there was someone who proved that point............!

jump

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are an inspiration for un-education and birth control! Rick I worship the ground that you walk on: beer Rod Henrickson Play with me or play with the devil! Same thing!

Rod Henrickson