Tools

What Do You Think Of This?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Thoughts?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the original barrel was replaced with some sort of plain pipe.
But, what's the point anyway ? Trying to prove what....??

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe they could market it to anarchists.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Oblivious of the stupid experiment, that was the most horrible news site I've ever seen, so chock full of BS advertising you could hardly click anywhere without summoning some crap you didn't want.

Posts: 5089 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
here's the actual video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMx-bfasz5I
it's pretty amazing .. and remember, Matt is a youtuber, with an amazing back story, and does frequent "destructive testing" videos

it worked.. i was amazed .. not only did it work, it worked several times...

then he shot a 45 though and along PVC..

watch it for yourself .. it's crazy

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
the most horrible news site I've ever seen, so chock full of BS advertising you could hardly click anywhere without summoning some crap you didn't want.

install "ghostery" in your browser

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All in the name of Science.

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read in WW2 the Germans bent a rifle barrel 90 degrees for shooting around corners.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not stupid at all; that is how inventions are invented; dong stupid things can create good ones. Not in this case though because it has been done before. I would have made the curve a bit more gentle though.
What the Germans had was two versions of the Krummerlauf, (curved barrel) one an MP43 and the other was a VG1; couldn't bend a Kar98k due to all the wood up there. They had mirror sights; too; these were experimental things.
The barrels were bent about 45 degrees or so.
Look up Krummerlauf and you might find it; I didn't .

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Look up Krummerlauf and you might find it; I didn't .

Possibly because the word is "Krummlauf". There's a whole Wikipedia article plus a bunch of photos about it available through Google.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I meant I didn't look it up. So I just googled Krummerlauf, you still get the same results. I do see that there was an STG44 version too. I had one once, not the crooked barrel one though.
First word I ever misspelled in my life and it wasn't even an English word. Won't happen again. My English Teacher Mother is spinning in her grave about now. No slack.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New York will probably outlaw these now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my friends told me how his father was at a military range during WWII and his sargent told him to shoot a bolt action .30-06 with a bent barrel. He refused saying it was dangerous and his sargent made fun of him and shot it to prove it was not dangerous and that my friend's father was just a coward. The bolt came back out of the action and killed the sargent. Don't know if his father told him a true story or not but my friend is not a bullshitter.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I think you are probably the only person on the planet who both owns a firearm and reads the Daily Mail!

As for what I think . . . I'd say it was a pointless experiment with a useless result! But that could just be me . . . .

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading somewhere that the US Army did that with a M3 Grease gun.
https://www.guns.com/news/2018...-inside-a-tank-video

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What was the degree of bend in the Springfield?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
SS barrels are tough. Where's the bullet? Bet the bullet (quite long) came out very slow and was cracked or broken from the tight radius of that barrel. The big black powder burn suggests that. A much less powerful round probably would have gotten stuck at the curve. Should have cronied the bullet at the end of the muzzle.
What say you Saeed?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something will always "give" if it's a full load of powder. The expanding gasses are plenty powerful to make something happen regardless of the cartridge.
1- Bullet comes out (which it did)
2- barrel blows up
3- bolt blows up

Pick one or all^^^

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As long as the bore is not obstructed, as in the German, US, and Mythbuster's rifles, nothing untoward will happen. The one in Saeed's picture does look very obtuse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh hell, we had a horse packing accident
that bent the barrel on a '17 Enfield
enough we were told by the 'smith it
was more than 40 feet off at 100 yards.

He straightened it and shot better than it
ever had before. Dad's former elk rifle
sold to my cousin before the wreck.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My issue (well, one anyway) with this publicity-stunt-masquerading-as-an-experiment is: Why was it necessary to destroy a perfectly good scope to show that the bullet (or parts thereof) exited the barrel? A flat target held firmly in the same location would have yielded far more information. Why is the younger generation so entertained by pointlessly destroying things?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I meant I didn't look it up. So I just googled Krummerlauf, you still get the same results. I do see that there was an STG44 version too. I had one once, not the crooked barrel one though.
First word I ever misspelled in my life and it wasn't even an English word. Won't happen again. My English Teacher Mother is spinning in her grave about now. No slack.

Don't feel too bad; the supposed "professional" writers and proof-readers that work for that newspaper didn't know the difference between "site" and "sight". Just the Daily Mail upholding their reputation for quality journalism. Perhaps English isn't their first language.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
My issue (well, one anyway) with this publicity-stunt-masquerading-as-an-experiment is: Why was it necessary to destroy a perfectly good scope to show that the bullet (or parts thereof) exited the barrel? A flat target held firmly in the same location would have yielded far more information. Why is the younger generation so entertained by pointlessly destroying things?

because, youtube! while a platen target would have offered repeatable and measurable results, drama makes for youtube views, which leads to advertisement review and youtube income.

even science is dramatized to get more views

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've stumbled into the demolition ranch videos before. I hated seeing him destroy 8 or 9 pistols, but I was amazed at how tough they were and at how even ridiculous barrel obstructions were mostly handled safely by the firearms. Also interested in the results of this bent barrel experiment.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thoughts

The link was chock full a fishing and pop ups is my thought

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:

because, youtube! while a platen target would have offered repeatable and measurable results, drama makes for youtube views, which leads to advertisement review and youtube income.

even science is dramatized to get more views

Exactly my point: Because the younger generation so entertained by pointlessly destroying things.

I'm well-acquainted the principle of drama emphasizing a scientific point. I once built a Heath Robinson contraption of dubious scientific value to graphically demonstrate to the limited minds occupying a courtroom that a suit, brought by a typical Sally the Serial Sue-er, was preposterous. The real scientific data was too dry and boring for the court to grasp, but a video of a contraption wearing a sneaker and repeatedly stepping on a stair for hours was enough to get the case thrown out. The real science was contained in the extensive engineering report placed into evidence, that likely no one in that courtroom read. In this case, the theatrics demonstrated the valid science therein. In the case of these videos, the theatrics demonstrate little, other than that somebody has a lot of spare cash to waste on trashing firearms, and that the public is easily amused. The future leaders of the nation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,,,we see people sitting side by side and converse via texting. Time that would be better spent learning to tie their own shoe laces.

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Well,,,we see people sitting side by side and converse via texting. Time that would be better spent learning to tie their own shoe laces.

tu2

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Ahhh hell, we had a horse packing accident
that bent the barrel on a '17 Enfield
enough we were told by the 'smith it
was more than 40 feet off at 100 yards.
He straightened it and shot better than it
ever had before. Dad's former elk rifle
sold to my cousin before the wreck."

A friend had a canoe accident and lost his cheap Winchester 70 rifle for about 3-5 months in a creek they found it rusty and with a really bent barrel like 70 degree, they took it to an other friend who has a machine shop and straightened the barrel and it works perfect again. The difficult thing were to have the police to reregister the rifle after they had accepted it was lost in a creek.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IOWADON:
One of my friends told me how his father was at a military range during WWII and his sargent told him to shoot a bolt action .30-06 with a bent barrel. He refused saying it was dangerous and his sargent made fun of him and shot it to prove it was not dangerous and that my friend's father was just a coward. The bolt came back out of the action and killed the sargent. Don't know if his father told him a true story or not but my friend is not a bullshitter.

Well, that experiment wasn't too bright, anyway.

Posts: 5089 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
the most horrible news site I've ever seen, so chock full of BS advertising you could hardly click anywhere without summoning some crap you didn't want.

install "ghostery" in your browser

Thanks jeffeosso, I'll think about it. I don't begrudge newspapers etc posting ads in their articles even if I try to ignore them - they have to make money somehow.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
round 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5XzBfzfEvg

476AR,