Tools

Is the Mauser fad passed?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
The "sloppy" can be fixed by clamping the bridge in formed clamps and heat the thin side while clamping dowm. Be sure to install a mandrel to keep from going too far.

I seldom find the need to do this, however.

Exactly, if you excercise care in selecting a "good" action to begin with this, or any other "fix" is seldom required.

There are many good actions out there, most of which do not hold any attraction for me. People are free to choose whichever floats their boat. Just because I happen to prefer the Mauser doesn't mean I feel the need to denigrate the remainder.

I find that all too often sporters based off Milsurp actions get a bad rap due to the fact that at one point they were very inexpensive and all too often "converted" by those with more enthusiasm than skill or knowledge. As a result, the finished product is more often than not, lesser in quality than the original Milsurp. I see this with Enfields, Springfield, and Mausers, etc. Mausers having been made in quantities that dwarfed the rest, were often the least expensive to acquire and thus seem to be found in "sporterized" configuration in greater numbers than the rest. Even when the conversion was done well, often the action used is one that probably should not have been selected but was used because it was available.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have to be honest; if pre 64 Model 70s were the same price as a VZ24 action (which can be had for under $200) I would not touch a Mauser again. (Fortunately, 40 years ago I looked into the future and bought a boat load of them. ) But, for the hobbiest who is not paying labor, it is a great thing to use Mausers. For the pro, using a surplus action; not so much unless the customer insists, and pays.

Posts: 17263 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do not discount the self worth feeling that one gets from hobbies and home projects. There is an intangible value that one derives from such activities that can't be measured in money. For example, I would rather take to the field with something I created myself, no matter how bad it looked (as long as it performed), than go with a Mossberg that cost me $299 with scope. Pride in workmanship has no cash value but it does have value.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
+1 on the self-worth comment. I am no expert, but have affair amount of skill- for me, the fact that I can point to something and see that it reflects what I put into it means a whole lot. Something about the Mauser just seems to make it more meaningful.

Doug
(yes, actually another Doug W)

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
From a factory rifle I can accept a lack of aesthetics. However something I create must both look and function well. I cannot accept the notion that as long as it works it is ok. If that is the case, why not stick with a factory rifle? Too many good shooting, decent looking, value priced models to choose from.

Pride in workmanshp does not allow me to go afield with something that looks bad. Seems something of a contradiction to me.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Beauty is in the eye of the creator; and if someone thinks their work is good and takes pride in it, who are you to say otherwise? I am sure that everyone is not as skilled as you, but they might take pride in it, nonetheless. Such talk smacks of gun snobbery.
Do it behind their backs.
Having said that, the hack jobs of the 1950s are gone as a hobby and most amateurs do at least a passible job.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Beauty is indeed in the eye of the creator; and if someone thinks their work is good and takes pride in it, who am I to say otherwise? I agree. I will not tell them their creation is ugly no matter how much I think so unless asked for my opinion.

However, I was saying that pride in workmanshp does not allow ME to go afield with something that looks bad. Personal standards, standards of workmanship, not snobbery.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"If you hate it so much, why did you proceed with the build? Makes no sense to me."

I had it on hand. IT was a 257R. That caliber is of no use to me. I wanted a 35 Whelen. In my area I must use copper bullets. I figured bigger is better. I looked at it and figured I already had the whole rifle gathering dust. The stock was an old Bishop with pleanty of extra wood. I had a new sorbathane pad. The rebarrel is easy. The barrel was cheap. I had my Whelen for about 120 bucks. I also like to keep some project going at all times.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Why would resale value be a consideration when building a personal rifle?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
same reason a car or PU is.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
same reason a car or PU is.

I don't think about resale on a pick up either. Usually when I get done with one there isn't much left to sell.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of a deal struck down by this President reguarding numerous M1 Garrands that South Korea wanted to allow Americans to buy.

Dont mean to get too political in the Gunsmithing forum, but I cant help but wonder how much the current state of anti-gun attitude in our nations capitol has effected availability and pricing of Milsurp Mausers. It has certianly driven the cost of everything else about shooting through the roof.

Seems like people look at a Mauser and see different things. Sure a new factory action is going to be tighter, at least for a while. But personaly I prefer the Mauser bottom metal and triggerguard over an el cheapo blind magazine and plastic triggerguard, I prefer CRF over push feed, I like having an all steel action as opposed to sheet metal and even plastic parts. When I look at a Mauser action I see reliability and labor intensive machined steel parts. And I have had enough of cheaper made actions to appreciate the difference.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me at least cost and resale never entered my thoughts.

I started as one of the legion of garage gunsmiths out there. I started with Mauser actions to simply learn on. Sure, I could get any commercial action that is all pretty and done, then restock it. What fun is that?

Cutting, welding, grinding, filing, polishing, finding wood for it, shaping that wood, inletting it, then throwing it out, finding new wood, inletting that one properly, shaping that one, bluing the metal, rebluing the metal due to stupidity, finishing the wood, checkering it, sanding off the checkering, refinishing it, sending to someone who can checker because I can't, then assembling it all into something that I created.

It was frustrating, educating, fun, and I have something no one else has. And possibly would never purchase, but it is mine.

Then you shoot a good group with your first build. Then you shoot your first animal with it. You don't forget that.

And now I have quite a few under my belt, and I've built on several other makes. They all work the same, and do the job, but the extra work a Mauser takes to make it beautiful is worth my time.

I would say the same for an Enfield or Springfield.

My current project is a 375 Ruger on a Santa Barbara action going into a Mannlicher stock. Where are you going to buy that combination?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
Why would resale value be a consideration when building a personal rifle?

I agree.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
....My current project is a 375 Ruger on a Santa Barbara action going into a Mannlicher stock. Where are you going to buy that combination?

Jeremy

Ought to be down right handy! Looking forward to pics.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:

Cutting, welding, grinding, filing, polishing, finding wood for it, shaping that wood, inletting it, then throwing it out, finding new wood, inletting that one properly, shaping that one, bluing the metal, rebluing the metal due to stupidity, finishing the wood, checkering it, sanding off the checkering, refinishing it, sending to someone who can checker because I can't, then assembling it all into something that I created.

Jeremy

Sounds just like one of my projects! Wink

I've had lots of do-overs. Only difference is that my checkering is "good enough", (for me at least) and I haven't outsourced that. About the only thing I send out is welding bolt handles. Because I've tried and failed...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope they're not out of fashion, I just finished sanding the stock today for one of my favorites I have built. Just ready to start oiling it tomorrow.

This rifle has had three different configurations since I found it behind a washing machine at an estate sale and purchased it for $15 in the early 1980's. It is an Amberg 1917. It was a cut off military stock, no bottom metal, and an original barrel.

In it's current configuration, I have done the following:

Contoured the receiver, removed the stripper clip. Reshaped the trigger guard. Forged down the bolt handle. Installed 3 position Recknagel safety. Installed M-70 type trigger. Built custom stock, limbsaver pad. Rebarreled to 429 express. Built the express sight base and fitted 3 leaf sight. Installed Ramp front (not on it in photo's). Fit model 70 type sling swivel at rear and band swivel at front. All told, I think I have about $1050 in the parts for it, and I did all the work myself except for the blueing. Still need to install and regulate the folding leafs, blue and final install the barrel band, and blue the sling swivel rear base. And, about 40 coats of oil on the stock.

I've got a lot of satisfaction out of doing this myself, regardless of the resale value.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ssdave said, plus one!

Like quite a few of the AR members, I have a couple rifle projects in process. A 404 Jefferys on a VZ-24, a 450/375 Ultra Mag on the OM 70 that James Kobe had listed for sale here about three months ago, and a delightful tapered full octagon barrel on an FN commercial action in 257 Roberts. And a YUGO 48 that I want to do a mannlicher stocked carbine on in 358 Win, and then I horse traded into an Interarms Mark X Magnum factory blued "D" action NIB with a 458 barrel and 50 new Hornady 458 Lott cases. A Whitworth, with both markings. The "D" magazine box will take up to a 3.6" length case. Say the Lott or a 404 J or a RUM, or the equivalent length cartridge.

All those actions/barreled actions are becoming rifles in cartridges I wanted to own. I am less than an hour from Chris/Walnut Grove Gunstocks, and I can justify the drive up every other Monday with a friend to look at new wood.

I am not special. I just like the dependability and nostalgic appeal of OM 70's and good 98 Mausers.

There are a lot of us out there. We want as nice a blank as the budget will allow, and you will spend a lot more money to get that from any factory.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote